User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: ISTP or ADD?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by McRumi View Post
    Sadly, a lot of the fresh fruit we grow in the USA is crap too. Tasteless, dull, insipid. Not to mention our meats etc. Full of chemicals and god knows what else.

We are poisoning ourselves little by little...and often not so little by little.
    I completely agree, and the cost of buying quality non-contaminated food is outrageous.

There's no comparison between Free Range, grazing, non growth hormone injected cattle and the crap they sell at the grocery counter.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    I wish I could remember, and have been unsuccessful in querying the article.

My favorite quote from that article as I recall was "Cake makes my tummy hurt." When describing the children's expressed preference for fresh fruit over other treats when being interviewed.

Thanks for sharing the case study, information like that is very helpful to even big kids like me.
    No problem, I'll have to go searching for it.

So many children and adults are undernourished by the standard diet, that's for sure.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm not ISTP but I have a short attention span as well. In school if it didn't interest me you might as well forget about getting good grades!! I usually just read a good book(Yes,I love to read) lol I didn't have any problem listing on the honor roll!!
    Welcome to the Rabbit Hole
    The Cheshire Cat

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

You guys should start a health advice panel here at TypoC.

Edit: Oh wow sneaky posters cutting my line :steam:
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

ISTPs do not have short attention spans. They often work for very long stretches at a time...extremely hyperfocussded....but mostly in hand's-on activity. Our passive education system guarantees they will have problems. Those with ADD however lose focus even with hand's on activity. They lack the appropriate chemistry.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I used to be on a bunch of ADD/ADHD meds including ritalin. They never really did anything except made me extremely depressed. In fact, the three years since I've been off the meds has been way more productive than when I was on them.

...This is a lesson: make absolutely sure your child has ADD/ADHD before accepting the blanket diagnosis.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

I have been taking 80 mgs of Ritalin daily for 15 years. I have had not a single negative reaction...only positive ones. A person without ADD could not sustain this regimen without serious psychological, mental and physical damage.

Every person is unique. ADD is real.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

As McRumi points out, I do believe ADD or ADHD is real for many people. I grew up with a cousin that suffered from the more classic hyperactive symptoms. That poor kid was in constant motion and he couldn't help it at all. It wasn't a dietary or parenting issue my relatives were some very good, loving and caring emotionally balanced folks.

They were a bright spot in an often quirky picture.

I also believe there are many people unnecessarily medicated or concerned about life issues that can be addressed in a more holistic way.

Depression is a prime example. Some depression is just normal, it tells us that something about life sucks and we're supposed to cycle through that way...like when a parent dies. We're in a job that isn't a good fit. We're in a relationship that is not supportive of our emotional well being. We experience some form of loss...

Cycling through and being bummed out for even a lengthy period of time is perfectly normal in those circumstance.

By the same token, there are some who for whatever reason...one's body doesn't manufacture the stuff that leads to a balanced range of feeling.

I like that so many have shared on the topic, and am trying to be careful in my word choice so that people continue to feel comfortable sharing without feeling judged or invalidated.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by McRumi View Post
    I have been taking 80 mgs of Ritalin daily for 15 years. I have had not a single negative reaction...only positive ones. A person without ADD could not sustain this regimen without serious psychological, mental and physical damage.

Every person is unique. ADD is real.
    The ritalin didn't actually do anything(or at least it didn't do what it was intended). A few of the later ones(Strattera, concerta) made me really depressed.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    I used to be on a bunch of ADD/ADHD meds including ritalin. They never really did anything except made me extremely depressed. In fact, the three years since I've been off the meds has been way more productive than when I was on them.

...This is a lesson: make absolutely sure your child has ADD/ADHD before accepting the blanket diagnosis.
    For sure. I actually found a neat article that Keirsey wrote on ADD: The Great A.D.D. Hoax - The Natural Child Project

The entire article is about Keirsey's work with SPs.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.