User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: ISTP or ADD?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by McRumi View Post
    Yes. COMPLETELY different.

The brain of person with ADD never shuts up...CONSTANT chatter in there...those without ADD have no idea what that is like.

When I took my first Ritalin pill, the chatter stopped. It was amazing...I could actually focus on what was in front of me without distractions.
    I understand what you're saying, but how do you know other people don't experience this? I'm glad the medication works for you, but what about the people it doesn't help? I'm still unsure if people who meet the criteria for being ADD who take the meds which don't work for them truly have ADD or if it's just their mental cognition and personality. This is where whether I buy it all or not becomes fuzzy. I think the way the structure of our schools and jobs work just doesn't click for certain people, but maybe they can function in a different kind of environment just fine. I get a bad vibe when people have to take medication just to fit in and function 'properly' in society.

MBTI
    I

Yes, you are misunderstanding.

Those with AD(H)D alternate between distraction and hyperfocus. They seek out stimulation to artificially create the chemistry (adrenalin rush) they naturally lack...and this produces the hyperfocus...at all other times, the chemistry is absent and it's just one distraction after another.

Ritalin et al also creates the artificial chemistry to allow one to better control the ability to focus...never cures it or helps you to do what you really don't want to do, but is very effective in helping your brain push aside distractions when you want it to. This something the person with ADD cannot do naturally. Impossible.
    Interesting, didn't know that.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Then you have never worked with a child who has ADD. It's a chemical issue, not a behavioral or moral issue. Denying ADD is like denying the existence of schizophrenia. Utter nonsense. Literally: no sense. At all. None.
    I have worked closely with a number of children who have been diagnosed with ADD and ADHD, and their family's. I've also worked with psychologist and psychiastrist who have a diversity of viewpoints on both.

The children I worked with were diagnosed by psychiatrist, usually at the recommendation of their parents or teachers. As far as everyone was concerned, every last child had ADD or ADHD, and was treated and medicated accordingly. I actually took temporary custody of one child who was diagnosed as ADD/ADHD/and ODD before the age of 5. He was on a number of different psychotropics before we were able to get down to the bottom it all. My interest lies in my personal experience with many children after him, and their family's.

In any case, whether or not ADD or ADHD exist is not the issue, to me. The issue is the often knee-jerk desire to get the diagnosis of one of the two disorders when an adult or child present with the symptomatic behaviors. All too often, there is way more to it.

There are a number of psychologist and neuroscientist who don't believe that ADD or ADHD exist in the way that we typically understand them to, and others who are skeptical of the common diagnosis altogether. In any case, I'm glad that you've found a way that works for you.

Ritalin makes anyone focus, so the fact that the drug has this impact says nothing for whether or not the person has a bonfide case of ADHD or ADD.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

And the earth is the center of the universe.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Ritalin makes anyone focus, so the fact that the drug has this impact says nothing for whether or not the person has a bonfide case of ADHD or ADD.
    This is an ignorant, unscientific and demonstrably false statement and reveals that you know nothing about ADD and have no acquaintance with the science of brain chemistry. Such empty chatter is not surprising for an ENFP type.

I pity any child in your supposed care.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

This is an ignorant, unscientific and demonstrably false statement and reveals that you no nothing about ADD and have no acquaintance with the science of brain chemistry. Such empty chatter is not surprising for an ENFP type.

I pity any child in your supposed care.
    Under 100 post, and already kicking and screaming.:rolli:

http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/publica...ne/ritalin.pdf:
    When Ritalin is taken by an individual without ADD/ADHD, it creates a stimulant-like effect by increasing focus and attentiveness, making this an attractive drug to abuse amongst teenagers.
    Hoover Institution - Policy Review - Why Ritalin Rules:
    Just as, contrary to folklore, the adult and child physiologies respond in the same way to such drugs, so too do the physiologies of all people, regardless of whether they are diagnosed with add or hyperactivity. As Diller puts it, in a point echoed by many other sources, methylphenidate "potentially improves the performance of anyone — child or not, add-diagnosed or not." Writing in the Public Interest last year, psychologist Ken Livingston provided a similar summary of the research, citing "studies conducted during the mid seventies to early eighties by Judith Rapaport of the National Institute of Mental Health" which "clearly showed that stimulant drugs improve the performance of most people, regardless of whether they have a diagnosis of adhd, on tasks requiring good attention." ("Indeed," he comments further in an obvious comparison, "this probably explains the high levels of ‘self-medicating’ around the world" in the form of "stimulants like caffeine and nicotine.")
    And I'm done discussing this with you unless you've got some facts supporting your arguments. I'm getting bored.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Then you have never worked with a child who has ADD. It's a chemical issue, not a behavioral or moral issue. Denying ADD is like denying the existence of schizophrenia. Utter nonsense. Literally: no sense. At all. None.
    Yes, for some I think it's a physical issue, no different than an individual with diabetes or heart disease. Effectively the body isn't able to provide the right mix of one or the other chemicals needed for I'll say "average" functioning.

For others it's not a physical issue, it's that by inappropriate diet...lack of rest and/or exercise that humans need. The conditions simply aren't there to successfully manufacture the chemicals needed for "average" brain function in balance.

In those cases a human being would exhibit symptoms of ADD without having a physical cause.

Least that's a best guess

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

ah and EnFpFer.... I'm glad there's someone working as an advocate that questions the "system."

The system profits from well, we all know and understand. In America we have a pill for everything, we'll sell you poison just so long as the suppliers can maintain plausible deniability...Michael Jackson comes to mind.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Under 100 post, and already kicking and screaming.:rolli:

http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/publica...ne/ritalin.pdf:

Hoover Institution - Policy Review - Why Ritalin Rules:

And I'm done discussing this with you unless you've got some facts supporting your arguments. I'm getting bored.

Discussion? LOL. Just medieval mumblings. The world according to the Church of Scientology. Intellectual crap.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    ah and EnFpFer.... I'm glad there's someone working as an advocate that questions the "system."

The system profits from well, we all know and understand. In America we have a pill for everything, we'll sell you poison just so long as the suppliers can maintain plausible deniability...Michael Jackson comes to mind.
    You can't question the system if you have no interest in whether or not a neurobiologic abnormality of the brain actually exists. Just pretending or assuming that it does not leads to nothing of actual value. Just lots of drama. No wonder that the two leading opponents of ADD are from the Church of Scientology and advocate child sex.

Are kids misdiagnosed and over-drugged? Hell yes. That in no way invalidates a proven neurobiologic abnormality. Just that there are a lot of ignorant parents, lazy doctors and greedy pill-pushers.

Doesn't affect the reality of ADD at all.

What a disservice to those kids who truly do suffer from thia chemical imbalance!

Ptooey!