User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 116

Thread: ISTP or ADD?

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    I think I have some Add but I don't take anything...I find it hard to concentrate when someone is explaining pointless crap to me... my Ti would just be wondering about other stuff.

  2. #12
    full of love Kingfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    it seems like a lot of SPs have difficulty with attention and focusing.

    i have a short attention span. i tend to get bored quickly.
    but for physical tasks i can fall into a rhythm, and keep going at it all day. for example, i used to operate a tower crane, which is a very repetitive job - sitting in a tiny booth and operating the same controls all day long. you can't even take breaks, because it is such an annoyance and time-waste to have climb down and up. but i had no problems with working that job because i more or less checked out mentally - my body took over and went through the motions without having to really focus.

    when i took adderall and speed in college for studying they did not do wonders for me. they improved my focus a lot, but i ended up always latching on to the first idea and obsessing over it, running it into the ground. i couldn't get off of that first idea, i just kept beating it to death until i didn't even know what i was thinking about anymore.
    when i have gone back and read those essays i wrote on speed it is like a slow descent into madness.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Heinel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    337

    Default

    I wonder sometimes, actually, that this ADD thing is more of a hoax. I don't really think it's a "sickness" or anything like that. It's just that different people have different interests, and if they're doing something that's not interesting to them then it's hard to focus. For me I generally have very low tolerance for reading large blocks of text. It's like two sentences and I'm out. But if it's something I'm interested in I can read it from start to finish without problem. I can even write critiques right after, too.
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

  4. #14
    Senior Member McRumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinel View Post
    I wonder sometimes, actually, that this ADD thing is more of a hoax. I don't really think it's a "sickness" or anything like that. It's just that different people have different interests, and if they're doing something that's not interesting to them then it's hard to focus. For me I generally have very low tolerance for reading large blocks of text. It's like two sentences and I'm out. But if it's something I'm interested in I can read it from start to finish without problem. I can even write critiques right after, too.
    It' s no hoax, my friend. I was diagnosed in my early 30s and have been taking Ritalin 4x a day ever since...it has changed my life. I would not have experienced success in the many careers I have chosen since then, wouldn't have a home, wouldn't have anything without it. I call it my chemical Easter.

    The problem is misdiagnosis, esp with kids.

    My life would have been even more different if I had been diagnosed as a kid, but I'm thankful for a correct diagnosis at any age...just glad i survived til the diagnosis in my 30s.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I think I have some Add but I don't take anything...I find it hard to concentrate when someone is explaining pointless crap to me... my Ti would just be wondering about other stuff.
    That's just being a guy. Women call it selective hearing.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McRumi View Post
    It' s no hoax, my friend. I was diagnosed in my early 30s and have been taking Ritalin 4x a day ever since...it has changed my life. I would not have experienced success in the many careers I have chosen since then, wouldn't have a home, wouldn't have anything without it. I call it my chemical Easter.

    The problem is misdiagnosis, esp with kids.

    My life would have been even more different if I had been diagnosed as a kid, but I'm thankful for a correct diagnosis at any age...just glad i survived til the diagnosis in my 30s.
    One of my cousins benefited greatly as you're describing, and very pleased for him and others who do benefit from the auspices of research and science.

    But equally horrified it seems today they're passing them out like M&M's, to mirror a catchy phrase imparted by a previous poster.

  7. #17
    Senior Member McRumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    One of my cousins benefited greatly as you're describing, and very pleased for him and others who do benefit from the auspices of research and science.

    But equally horrified it seems today they're passing them out like M&M's, to mirror a catchy phrase imparted by a previous poster.
    Agreed.

    East test: give a kid a snort of cocaine and if he/she gets all hyper, it's not ADD. I admit the cocaine part is problematic.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post
    And that's why I don't want to just ask for it. I know they'll pretty much give it to me whether I really legitimately need it or not.
    "Hey doc, I'm having a lot of trouble focusing on my work. I'm really worried it's going to start piling up if I don't get through it soon. What can I do?"

    It might help to blush and look downward at this point for dramatic effect.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McRumi View Post
    Agreed.

    East test: give a kid a snort of cocaine and if he/she gets all hyper, it's not ADD. I admit the cocaine part is problematic.
    Yeah, I mentioned how stimulants have backward effects with people with ADD earlier, but I can't find anything about it on the internet. The psychiatrist who prescribed it described it in some detail though. You heard this somewhere too?

    Cocaine, amphetamine, same difference.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  10. #20
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Just because I could focus on something so intently, I wouldn't hear a word that she said. Which led to my reading about ADD of the Inattentive type?
    Wait... if you can focus on something intently, isn't that basically the opposite of ADD? Or maybe I am misunderstanding ADD.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] Was Leonardo da Vinci an ISTP or INTP?
    By RaptorWizard in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-19-2017, 11:40 PM
  2. [ISTP] Famous ISTP or Celebrities
    By Speed Gavroche in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: 10-03-2016, 02:31 PM
  3. [MBTItm] ISTP or ISFP
    By man in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 01:18 PM
  4. [MBTItm] ISTP or INTP?
    By jixmixfix in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 03:10 PM
  5. ISTP or ISTJ?
    By arcticangel02 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO