• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Trust an ISTP

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sparks! sparks! :bananallama:

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
and they say ENFPs and ISTPs are a duality pair....:rolleyes:

If by duality you mean the one in socionics, FeNi and TiSe is a duality pair. That's ENFJ and ISTP in MBTI. NeFi and TiSe is conflict.

On the functional level, MBTI got the introverts reversed.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If by duality you mean the one in socionics, FeNi and TiSe is a duality pair. That's ENFJ and ISTP in MBTI. NeFi and TiSe is conflict.

Not always, some ISTPs in socionics are also ISTP in MBTI.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Not always, some ISTPs in socionics are also ISTP in MBTI.

Socionics ISTp has SiTe as first and second function. That is (based on my observations) like you and most people in this board, actually... which makes you all ISTJs (only on the functional level) But of course in MBTI the J letter has all sorts of other implications that just doesn't work with the functions, so in a way you could say you are neither. I mean, I saw a few ISTJs on the SJ forum Ti overloading those poor other SJs alot... Anyway, if you look at it on only the functional level and not the 4 letters, it would be much easier to figure out who's a dual and who's not.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Socionics ISTp has SiTe as first and second function. That is (based on my observations) like you and most people in this board, actually... which makes you all ISTJs (only on the functional level) But of course in MBTI the J letter has all sorts of other implications that just doesn't work with the functions, so in a way you could say you are neither. I mean, I saw a few ISTJs on the SJ forum Ti overloading those poor other SJs alot... Anyway, if you look at it on only the functional level and not the 4 letters, it would be much easier to figure out who's a dual and who's not.

From my perspective socionics is based on internal and is heavily reliant on functions.

The kicker with MBTI. Its based on who we are from the outside. This to me says that the function orientation is inversed so I would be SeTi in MBTI which I agree with, but I am an introverted person hence my ESTP/ISTP confusion. I mean to know for sure who we are based on outside actions we must first determine if we are trying to be someone we are not on the outside. This would decide if there is a change when going from socionics to MBTI.

To make any absolute decisions that are not based on what you want, you must first decide how to properly merge the 2 systems. Until you successfully do that you cannot say that ISTP in socionics is ISTJ in MBTI. You are simply making a leap of faith based on what the theory says that matches how you feel. Its not a logically sound decision.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
From my perspective socionics is based on internal and is heavily reliant on functions.

The kicker with MBTI. Its based on who we are from the outside. This to me says that the function orientation is inversed so I would be SeTi in MBTI which I agree with, but I am an introverted person hence my ESTP/ISTP confusion. I mean to know for sure who we are based on outside actions we must first determine if we are trying to be someone we are not on the outside. This would decide if there is a change when going from socionics to MBTI.

To make any absolute decisions that are not based on what you want, you must first decide how to properly merge the 2 systems. Until you successfully do that you cannot say that ISTP in socionics is ISTJ in MBTI. You are simply making a leap of faith based on what the theory says that matches how you feel. Its not a logically sound decision.

You misunderstood my position. Read here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/sp-arthouse/24410-how-keep-istp-10.html#post929025

I am not saying you all are ISTJs, because as I have already said, in MBTI, the J letter has implications beyond what the functions described.

My point in the previous post was that if you want to know who your dual is, you should not rely on the 4 letter code, but instead on the functions. For a Te user, like you, you should just read the last sentence from my last post and infer the logical reasoning behind it. That is because Te works the opposite way from my Ti.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's why I say Quantum Beer Theory unifies and answers everything! :headphne:

toast

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Not really. I know what I can handle and what I cant. I will push myself to the edge and bend as much as I internally can. So when I speak about what I need I do not have lots of room left to wiggle. This generally does not happen often, but when it does understand that I do it because i dont know any other way.

Basically, I dont cry wolf unless I need to. When I do dont push buttons unless you know what your doing. Trust that when I hit this point I cannot physically/mentally bend internally any more and I will make things bend externally.

I know what you're saying because it happens to me in a way (at least in terms of expression). For different reasons probably than you, I try to work out my own issues & protect people from what I need or from feeling obligated to give to me. Then when I can think of no way to help myself (and still stay out of conflict with another) I will then tell that person what I need from them. By the time I'm doing this I am extremely vulnerable, but because I am normally emotional in other ways it seems shallow and usually isn't taken very seriously. Sometimes I can just need and need and need but I CAN NOT bend things externally if I feel like I am directly pushing a person. So I'm crying wolf for way too long.

My ISTP has said & shown things before that sound similar. He can stretch for others, and he won't really say anything about it, but he gets to a certain point where he snaps back like a rubber band. He'll let you know right before he snaps but by then there isn't much he can do about it at that point. Its more of a warning that its going to happen so that you can make it easier on yourself by giving him space. I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about but it seems related.

Yeah this actually got me thinking a bit. It seems like the only sure fire way to get to an ISTP is indeed to do a leap of faith. It stabilizes us, and allow us to proceed at our own pace.

Oh man, so true. With nearly every beginning or long-standing conflict involving an ISTP too. Pushing in any way causes such a resistance that movement towards anything becomes almost glacial. If you give it that "whatever! we'll get there." attitude though, they will just surprise the hell out of you. Of course... that kind of thing completely destabilizes some (like me).

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Oh man, so true. With nearly every beginning or long-standing conflict involving an ISTP too. Pushing in any way causes such a resistance that movement towards anything becomes almost glacial. If you give it that "whatever! we'll get there." attitude though, they will just surprise the hell out of you. Of course... that kind of thing completely destabilizes some (like me).

Hmm. That's actually not what I meant. Though I think it does fit your situation well. Maybe you should find another source for stability, like maybe someone you can talk your problems to. Get to know his friends, or something.