• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP's On Walkabout

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something ISTP Profiles mention is that ISTP Children are explorers, which often continues into adulthood.

As a kid younger than the age of 7, I would wander off and go trapsing through the woods or follow a stream. Often with the family St. Bernard to accompany me...

I was notorious for sneaking out during nap time in daycare, when we were supposed to be on our cots. Sometimes I'd be out on the playground, an adjacent building or an adjoining neighborhood. Big dogs would sometimes scare me but I'd do it anyway.

As an adult when traveling for work or pleasure, I still wander off to check things out on my own. Just get out and see the sites, sometimes talking with strangers. So any other ISTP's on occassional walkabout?

A

A window to the soul

Peace to the Sheeples

OMGoodness, that sounds like me, but I'm INFP. I hated to be told I had to shut up, close my eyes and sleep on those dang cots.
freecutesmileys2461.gif
Sure you can tell me what to do and I'll close my eyes and fake sleep, but I'll be doing it with one eye open... then I'll up and sneaky, sneak, sneak... outttie! The story of my life.

**sniffles**

Well, I guess I should be happy for my decisions. I'm rather proud of myself for not being like everybody else. Everyone else can just take it, fall asleep on a cot, and wake up realizing their in a herd of sheeples! What a boring way to live.
**shaking head**

Poor little sheeples...
**covering poor sheeples ears so they don't have to hear this**
sanisheep.gif

Aw jeez, look what ya made me go and do...
**zipping lips, blushing, stepping off soapbox**

**blowing kisses to the sheeples** :heart:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I'm not an ISTP but I am definitely an explorer/wanderer. Ever since I was little, I went out and explored my world. No that I am an adult, I will always make sure to explore my environment. And yes, I talk with strangers and love to hear their stories.
Last year, I walked with a group from Chicago to Saint Paul, Minnesota. It took seven weeks. One day, when I was staying at a house in Minneapolis, I got someone to draw me a map and off I went down the riverwalk, all by myself, about thirteen miles roundtrip. It was so interesting to explore Minneapolis. I had never been there before. A week or so later, I was at my sister's house in Chicago. I took another trip down a riverwalk and then decided to take a different route back and, eventually, I found myself at a zoo.
I did have a map, but it was so much fun.
It's not for nothing that my screen name is "walking tourist."

LEGERdeMAIN

aye, I'm quite the wanderer/explorer. I've been in quite a few dangerous situations for it, but it's always a great experience. Never get in a 12ft boat during a nor'easter and try to get your coat and shoes off before you start swimming.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a kid younger than the age of 7, I would wander off and go trapsing through the woods or follow a stream. Often with the family St. Bernard to accompany me...

I just got a visual. Very picturesque. Sort of like this:

dog-1.jpg

As an adult when traveling for work or pleasure, I still wander off to check things out on my own. Just get out and see the sites, sometimes talking with strangers. So any other ISTP's on occassional walkabout?

The most tender place in my heart is for strangers.

It's very hard for me to get a "sense" of a place without being on my own and going where I please. Even on vacations with friends. I try to have a day where I can go off and join them later. Otherwise I don't feel like I was totally there.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's nice to see the topic has broader type appeal. And for MDP2525 are friends pretty understanding when you want to roam on your own?

And for perfectgirl, there was a girl in my day care class that would lay on her side with one eye open. She was sneaking out too, and would wait until I'd already gone to move. But never saw here "out" until two weeks before the end of the session.

We got cold busted raiding the refrigerator, had our milk and cookies out on the counter. lol

They watched us like hawks after that. Got so frustrated because I couldn't get up and move around, I'd rub my forehead across the nylon cot until it turned bright red.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never had a problem. It's best to travel alone or in 3's for just such roaming occasions. :)

That's a great story. Caught with cookies and milk :laugh: Makes me smile.

My dad used to have "nap-time" when we were small. Everyone in the family took a nap. I hated it!

Wait 10 min + fridge raiding + dragging out box of miscellaneous toys and pouring them out onto the carpet quieeeettttllly and playing = good memories.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use to always get on my bike and just go for rides. When I would stay at my cousins we were always heading off into the hills, dirt tracks. I loved creeks, etc.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I'm not an ISTP, but I can relate to the exploring drive to some extent.

While it was usually in the back of my mind, I always wanted to know what was around the corner, metaphorically speaking.

On the other hand, the thought of "I have no idea how to handle what's there or how to get back" would usually hold me back from exploring too far. That being said, I've reasonably dissected any environment I'm comfortable with in the name of curiosity.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i love to explore too. i didn't get to explore as often as i would have liked when i was kid, because i grew up in the city. so instead of wide-spread exploring, i stuck to my own neighborhoods and learned them like the back of my hand.

my brother was much older than me, he lived on his own on the eastside of the city and i used to take the bus over there and stay with him. sometimes he would take me camping out in the desert, we would get in his '76 Trans Am and drive out of the city, out to the desert. we explored quite a bit out there, we would spend a few days out there with sleeping bags, exploring.

when i was older and out on my own, then i started to explore a lot more.
one time in my 20s i walked from Mexico to Canada. it took several months.

A

A window to the soul

It's nice to see the topic has broader type appeal. And for MDP2525 are friends pretty understanding when you want to roam on your own?

And for perfectgirl, there was a girl in my day care class that would lay on her side with one eye open. She was sneaking out too, and would wait until I'd already gone to move. But never saw here "out" until two weeks before the end of the session.

We got cold busted raiding the refrigerator, had our milk and cookies out on the counter. lol

They watched us like hawks after that. Got so frustrated because I couldn't get up and move around, I'd rub my forehead across the nylon cot until it turned bright red.

I like this topic! So that was you I went exploring with! Sounds like we went to the same daycare. :) I got in trouble for stuff and the teachers made me write a 100 times I would never do it again.... but, but... how could I say I would never do it again? I'm innocent!!! :D Honestly, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm still confused. What did I do so wrong? grrrr...
:doh:

LEGERdeMAIN

I use to always get on my bike and just go for rides. When I would stay at my cousins we were always heading off into the hills, dirt tracks. I loved creeks, etc.

argh, when I was a young lad and was learning to ride a bicycle, I would ride around the neighbor hood during the weekdays. After a few months I started riding down different streets in different neighborhoods and often I got completely lost while taking in all of the new scenery. I always figured out how to get back home, but many times I didn't get back until it was dark out, which led to many a great trouble at the house.

A

A window to the soul

...Sounds like fun times!!! :yes:

When I was a kid I loved creeks too. My older sister and I would look for tadpoles and sometimes we got lucky and found these little bity tiny frogs. About half the size of a little raisin. :)

LEGERdeMAIN

...Sounds like fun times!!! :yes:

When I was kid I loved creeks too. My older sister and I would look for tadpoles and sometimes we got lucky and found these little bity tiny frogs. About half the size of a little raisin. :)

are you following me?

A

A window to the soul

argh, when I was a young lad and was learning to ride a bicycle, I would ride around the neighbor hood during the weekdays. After a few months I started riding down different streets in different neighborhoods and often I got completely lost while taking in all of the new scenery. I always figured out how to get back home, but many times I didn't get back until it was dark out, which led to many a great trouble at the house.

Yeah, troubles at that house,... that was always the trouble after such a fun day of exploration. For me I'd come home with my clothes torn up from trespassing on wooded property where there were barbed wire fences. I'd hold the barbed wire for my older sister, but as soon as she got through, she would forget to hold it for me. **sniffles** My clothes would get all torn up and I knew my fate at the end of the day. :( :cheese:

...that was usually after a long day of picking black berries in the woods. Aw, but it was worth it!

LEGERdeMAIN

Yeah, troubles at that house,... that was always the trouble after such a fun day of exploration. For me I'd come home with my clothes torn up from trespassing on wooded property where there were barbed wire fences. I'd hold the barbed wire for my older sister, but as soon as she got through, she would forget to hold it for me. **sniffles** My clothes would get all torn up and I knew my fate at the end of the day. :( :cheese:

...that was usually after a long day of picking black berries in the woods. Aw, but it was worth it!

Where did you grow up? I've had plenty of run-ins with barbed wire....and blackberries...and blueberries and grapes....mmmm.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like this topic! So that was you I went exploring with! Sounds like we went to the same daycare. :) I got in trouble for stuff and the teachers made me write a 100 times I would never do it again.... but, but... how could I say I would never do it again? I'm innocent!!! :D Honestly, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm still confused. What did I do so wrong? grrrr...
:doh:

Sentences? :doh:

I forgot about those. Purely ineffective tretchery...the chaulk board was worse.

Posting on this topic is hazerdous to my waist line. Ran out to the store a few minutes ago for ready bake cookies and milk.

Yummie! :cheese:

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I love doing this!! My line of work is a continuous Walkabout! I am never in one place for more than 2 weeks except for my home base. But I recently moved to a new area and that is my favorite things to do is get in a car and drive and explore.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Oh yes, I do this. Even still today I love just walking.

As a kid I grew up in a pretty rural, mountainous area. I'd always be exploring the areas behind my house, or collecting random junk that would accumilate along the riverside and add it to my little fort I'd created there. From ancient, rusty spoke rims to deer skulls, it had it all. There were all sorts of discoveries, I'd found an old, rotted telephone pole in the middle of the forest, and discovered that it actually used to be a full line that ran across the face of the mountain. I collected a buttload of the old glass insulators from the ones that'd fallen, most were dated in the 1900's. It eventually led to an old silver mine (at least I think that is what they mined, most local ones were) that had collapsed a long time ago. They power lines kept going, but that was a good two miles from my house and on the steep terrain kept me from exploring further.

Here recently, living in a subdivision makes it hard to find anything interesting by just walking, but I had used to live in a smaller town nearby where we'd often walk to the pub, and find our way back a different route each time. most of them followed the small drainage canals, but some had to uh, cut through some backyards :)