First 8910

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by seamaid View Post
    What does this look like?? My ISTP has a high tolerance for alcohol or something--I don't think he's ever let himself get drunk around me or his coworkers yet. Though his old college buddies might tell a different story...
    That seems to be a typical ISTP thing too! From what I hear, they have to drink a lot to be and stay drunk
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    Please take this wisdom in the nicest way possible.... too much open communication about one's ex's is just not necessary. After all, the relationship is about you and the person you are with in the present time and nobody else, right? If you're married and you and your husband want to go there, how nice for you. My advice to anyone else dating would be to fight the urge to ask these types of unnecessary questions. Put yourself in the other persons shoes. Would you want to be put on the spot and asked the question you are about to ask someone else? God no!!!

I got to be honest, if a guy starts asking me personal ex-BF questions, it will suddenly rob me of my positive emotions for them. Why? because I'll interpret that as an insecurity... not attractive! I'll also be wondering why the person is thinking about my ex-BF's past and not focusing on me in the present moment.
    First of all your opinion is just that, an opinion, not wisdom.

Secondly, it does open the door for some good conversation.

I guess it really depends on the person you are talking with, why they are asking and their intentions with that information. I can see that under certain circumstances it could be seen as insecurity by the person asking but it also shows insecurity by not answering.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I guess it really depends on the person you are talking with, why they are asking and their intentions with that infomation.
    Very true. This ultimately determines whether or not I and probably most ISTP's disclose anything. It really is subjective to the person asking.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by seamaid View Post
    What does this look like?? My ISTP has a high tolerance for alcohol or something--I don't think he's ever let himself get drunk around me or his coworkers yet. Though his old college buddies might tell a different story...
    Depends on your ISTP. I'd say we tend to fall into one of two groups.

1. Like to drink and get drunk because it loosens us up and lets us overcome certain mental blocks we have.
    2. Don't like to drink and/or get drunk because it loosens our mouths, and we too strongly like to keep our thoughts to ourself.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I could be wrong, but.....I think ISTP's may have an above average tolerance generally (we might still drink a ton making it irrelevant though), because we have some very strong control over ourselves normally.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    Too P to read all the responses, but to reiterate....

ONE CANNOT KEEP AN ISTP!!!!

If they like you, they come back to you.

If they love you, they stay.
    Agreed. Trying to "close your grasp" on us, will just make us bolt for the door in a hurry.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    That seems to be a typical ISTP thing too! From what I hear, they have to drink a lot to be and stay drunk
    I'm drinking right now and making fun of someone on my MSn who I dislike it feels good. lol I think sometimes you have to let go of your logical side a bit...stop thinking....and project emotions.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

ISTP's are very good and open about projecting emotion at annoying nemisis.

+1

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Depends on your ISTP. I'd say we tend to fall into one of two groups.

1. Like to drink and get drunk because it loosens us up and lets us overcome certain mental blocks we have.
    2. Don't like to drink and/or get drunk because it loosens our mouths, and we too strongly like to keep our thoughts to ourself.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I could be wrong, but.....I think ISTP's may have an above average tolerance generally (we might still drink a ton making it irrelevant though), because we have some very strong control over ourselves normally.
    I'd agree with that. I've always switched between the two for extended periods of time. It depends on what I'm going through. And I don't think it's that we literally have a higher tolerance, but we just have a better "mind over matter" ability than others. So pretty much what you said... we have very strong control over ourselves.

Edit: .... when we want to.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by toast View Post
    It pretty much always ends up getting them plenty of "space", but it also degrades what I could feel for them or the depth of a relationship I could have with them. It kills the intensity of my attraction to their ISTPness, because I come to the conclusion that it is unwise to invest that kind of intensity.
    You would be suprised what we notice. 99% of a relationship to an ISTP is not out in the open. We work to balance the NF/ST difference. We try to absorb that difference in emotional intensity as much as we can. While we may not always know why others are really emotional and have an average EQ, Our EQ is almost 100% from emotional stability. We are specialized in this one field. We will use our stability to absorb emotions from others as best we can. We will absorb good as well as bad. Eventually it works its way back out.

I hate feeling overwhelmed sometimes by people surrounding me with needs or expectations. Like when I'm tired, I want to shake off all the people that seem to shackle me & take all my time & energy. But I never really consider wanting to be "free" of them. I figure I can just hide or get away for a while when I need to. I can't really fathom feeling caged in.
    SPs learn from experience. While we can read and study as much as possible, we are a type that until we do it hands on you dont learn all the little nuances that appear. In the world of computers its called undocumented features With just theory we feel lost, we know that theory is just an educated guess.

I can relate to the ISTP "live & let live" thing in one way though...

I never really think a relationship can't be fine if its taken moment to moment. Though it is difficult for me to live like that, I feel like if the people around me just take it easy & don't get crazy or panicky on me, I will never really have any reason to abandon them. I think the ISTPs I know get this too. Most of their relationships seem to end when people just get paranoid that they are driving them away... and then they drive them away.
    We know how to make people panicky and wont do it on purpose just to drive you away. This is one of my flaws, but also one of my strengths. What is done has to be for a reason, in return I trust that what you do is done for a reason. Comes back to the trust thing.

This I really like about ISTPs. It is soooo much easier to deal with the silence when you know they aren't expecting you to say anything either. Can be a bit confusing when they are looking for attention but don't have much to say (Like when they are in a bad mood & just want you to small talk so they can be distracted). But overall, that ability not to judge or feel entitled is so refreshing. Definitely one of the greatest ISTP qualities.
    Thank you
    Im out, its been fun

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    ISTP's are very good and open about projecting emotion at annoying nemisis.

+1