7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    I misplaced this in your blog thread.

Hey Halla.
    Hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    How does one figure out their best (healthiest) shape - the one that is attainable and maintainable once one gets the science of it down? Especially when one gains mass easily in general (muscle or fat) - good for muscle gains, but not as helpful for leaning out... I don't mean specifically the leanest, but the healthiest one in terms of being fit and happy with the way one looks but not counting calories to the point of splitting-hairs forevermore?
    Your morphological programming and desired point of equilibrium seem very similar to mine, so hopefully I can offer some helpful tips.

First thing to remember about me: I am lazy with regard to processing "details." Calories are the worst sort of detail there are in my book.

Second thing to remember about me: I use simple rules of thumb translated into behaviors that are easy for me to perform on an on-going basis with regard to maintaining my level of fitness.

Third thing to remember about me: I live and train instincitvely. I have very specific plans for the short range, mid-range, and long-range aspects of my life, but my daily methods of traversing reality are executed with a rough bullet point outline, and the rest figured out on the fly, as too much planning too soon often results in wasted effort when reality reminds you that your plans are not in charge of the universe.

So, with that in mind, I offer the following:

Finding and Maintaining Equilibrium:
    (1) Determine what your equilibrium is (e.g. ration of mass to definition), and do whatever you need to in order to get there. This is most likely an assumption, but I am listing it just for the sake of being thorough.

(2) Choose some other means of evaluating your physique other than a scale. For instance, I go by how my clothes fit, and how I look in the mirror, way more than I do by my actual bodyweight.

(3) Eat 5-6 small-medium meals per day.

(4) Never eat a serving of carbohydrates bigger than your fist in one sitting.

(5) With regard to the size of your meals, consider the following: "Eat the breakfast of a king, the lunch of a prince, and the dinner of a pauper." OR, more simply put, Eat larger portions earlier on in the day as you have the rest of the day to burn them off, and decrease your serving sizes as the day passes by. EXAMPLE: I start cutting my carbohydrate consumption at 12:00 PM. I only eat protein and vegetables for dinner.

(6) Limit your sodium intake, and your intake of alcohol. Both bloat you.

(7) French fries or other favorite sin food only once per week at most.

(8) Eat cheese at most once per day. Cottage cheese does not count, as it is all protein and no fat, if you get the light stuff.

(9) Examples of mini-meals include: nuts + banana; protein shake; scrambled eggs + fresh fruit; turkey sandwich, etc.

(10) Drink lots of water. It helps keep you full, and it helps to burn fat.

(11) To make yourself feel full if you are hungry and have been getting proper nutrition, try the following: Eat 1 apple, then drink a glass of water. The water will make the fiber in the apple expand in your stomach and take longer to digest, making you feel full.

(12) Keep up your cardio, and if you can, do your workouts in the morning, as you will spike your metabolism at its lowest point (waking up) and benefit from a slightly increased metabolism the rest of the day due to the early AM kick start.

(13) Be smart about mayonnaise, sodas, sour cream, etc. Don't let condiments blow your nutritional profile.

(14) Eat whole foods, stay away from stuff in cans, boxes, jars, etc. Eat what cavemen ate!

----------------------------

Please let me know if the tips above are the type of advice you were seeking. If you already do most of these things, please let me know which and I'll offer some different info. to try and help you bridge the gap from where you are to where you wish to be.

Cheers,

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Dear Halla.

I want my arm size to reflect my strength. I'm a pretty stout person, but not as strong as I could be by any means. I'm currently doing a push-up and sit-up and squat program to increase my strength some, but lifting weights is boring, and (coincidentally enough) requires weights.

I have 5 lb dumbbells, a 2 lb weighted ball and a 1 lb weighted ball. Thats it. So.. do you have any clever exercises or routines I can do to increase my strength without weights? I'd rather do 4-5 maneuvers that work out multiple muscles, than a billion of the same things over and over again..

Sincerely, Kyuuei.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

dear halla-

I have two questions regarding members of your gender!

1. Why do men immediatly revert back to the age of 5 when sick, becoming helpless and whining a lot (and sometimes asking for a "blankie" )?

2. Why do guys seem to adore any meal that might have been served on a school lunch menu? (i.e. salsbury steak with mashed potatoes and corn)

thank you!

sincerely, whatever
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Halla,

How can I make myself get up off my dead lazy ass and get to work? Why do I keep sabatoging my own efforts, even for things that I'm pretty sure are extremely important to me?
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Dear Halla.
    I want my arm size to reflect my strength. I'm a pretty stout person, but not as strong as I could be by any means.
    In the words of TypC's very own Domino: "You wish to increase your mightyness!"

QUESTION: Do you wish to increase your ARM strength or your OVERALL strength?

I'm currently doing a push-up and sit-up and squat program to increase my strength some, but lifting weights is boring, and (coincidentally enough) requires weights.
    Got it. Push-ups, situps, and squats are all great, but not a complete routine, I agree. Let's add a few exercises that do not require equipment to the list above:

(1) Pull-ups (lats, shoulders)
    (2) Chin-ups (Biceps, lats)
    (3) Walking lunges (quads, hamstrings, glutes)
    (4) Dips (Between two chairs, or other stable and stationary furniture)
    (5) Pliometric jump squats (Jump up onto a bench, step down, left, right, repeat until legz are dead. )
    (6) Calf raises (Find a staircase, hold onto the rail, using one leg at a time raise yourself up and down while only your toes are on the edge od the step, 25 reps each leg, and the n50 with both feet together.)

I have 5 lb dumbbells, a 2 lb weighted ball and a 1 lb weighted ball. Thats it.
    OK, regarding the dumbbells. Could you please tell me what your current use of them is? That will help you conjur up new stuff. There's a myriad of things to choose from, and I don't want to bore you with things you are already doing. With this amount of weight, you can do work that will tone your muscles, but have limited capacity to build additional strength.

Here's some ideas for you to get stronger with stuff you most likely have laying around, and if not, will only cost you a few dollars.

(1) Backpack/Rucksack:
    Fill it up with old college textbooks! Then you have a nice block of additional mass you must tote around. Then be creative with it:

(a) Bleachers / Stairs: Just like in the wrestling movies, up and down, up and down, all the way around the stadium. A fantastic leg workout.

(b) Jump Squats: Try them when you are 15-25 pounds heavier. They got harder, didn't they?

(c) Pull-Ups / Chin-ups: A staggering amount of arm strength can be built if you use additional weight in a backpack/rucksack during pull-ups and chin ups.

(d) Push-Ups / Incline Push-ups: Oh yeah, your pectoralis muscles and your triceps will go freaking Kookoo bananas.

(e) Calf Raises: Make those diamonds show off their geometric edges.

(f) Sand Backpack: Fill a Hefty bag with sand. Wrap it up tight. Stuff it in an old backpack. Grab the backpack with both hands, starting from a crouched position (as if you finished a deadlift) and then explosively rise up, pushing with your knees, and then extend your arms upward and push/throw the bag up and away from you. Let it land. Walk over to it. Throw it back! it's a bad little bookbag after all. This kind of mimicks a cleand and press. It is also fun, as you can imagine you are throwing someone you do not like into the air, and maybe even into oncoming traffic.

(2) Boxes of Books!
    Find a few different sizes of boxes, from small, to a size that is around two "milk jugs." Duck tape the seams of the boxes VERY tightly. Take Hefty Yard and Leaf garbage bags and drop one in each box so it is a liner for the box. Now, go to Home Depot, and buy a 50 pound bag of sand for $2. Fill your boxes with sand. My, my, my. Now you have a small, a medium, and a slightly larger than medium set of heavy boxes! What to do?

(a) Deadlifts: Keep your back straight, look up and lift a box from the ground. Be sure to have good form. Bend your knees. Look online for exact tips on form as you do not want to hurt your lower back. These are great for spinal erectors, and thighs, and glutes.

(b) Delivery Girl: Setup a table. Walk each of your boxes 25 paces away from your table. Then deliver them to the table. First small, then walk back, then medium, then walk back, then large, then walk back. Move them back delivery girl! Wrong address! REPEAT.

FUN WITH TIRES:
    (1) Use an old backpack with good, thick (padded) shoulder straps, and preferably a waist belt with an adjustable buckle. Then, buy some reasonably strong nylon rope, maybe even the stuff with a big tow hook at the ends of it. Then go buy a good size pick-up truck tire. Wrap one end of the rope under the tires and affix the hook to the other end if possible to do it that way, otherwise just get the damn rope on the tire. Finally, attach the rope to the backpack by tying up a wrapped/mesh of several layers of smaller nylon rope, big enough to create a "web" that can serve as a point of attachment for the end of the big rope to wrap/tie around.

(a) Do sprints with the vest, rope, and tire rig hooked up to you. The drag of the tire on the ground is adding resistance that your legs will have to over compensate to nullify, thus increasing the effort for you to run normally. After 3-4 weeks of doing several sets of sprints 2-3 times per week with other leg work, you will be abkle to haul ass once you unhook the gear and hit the track all natural.

(b) Run up hill for more resistance with same tire size, run down hill for less resistance with the same tire size.

(c) Change the tire size to bigger if you are on a flat hill and want more resistance; change the tire to a smaller size if you are on a flat hill and you wish for there to be less resistance.

These resistance movements will build your strength. Strength is a combination of explosive power, and a capacity to exert yourself at close to your maximum capacity for a reasonable amount of time. If you do all the items I listed here, you will be buiklding your overall physical strength and endurance.

Let me know how it works out for you. Good luck!

-Halla

So.. do you have any clever exercises or routines I can do to increase my strength without weights? I'd rather do 4-5 maneuvers that work out multiple muscles, than a billion of the same things over and over again..

Sincerely, Kyuuei.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    dear halla-

I have two questions regarding members of your gender!
    I have two answers that will be useful to you.

1. Why do men immediatly revert back to the age of 5 when sick, becoming helpless and whining a lot (and sometimes asking for a "blankie" )?
    OK, not all men do this. If your man does this, then it is of paramount importance that you do not reward the behavior. Tough love doesn't necessarily require being mean. Get him a can of chicken noodle soup, a tube of "Airborne" and some Nyquil. Kiss him on the forehead, and tell him you'll be back later. That way you expressed the "female nurturing instinct" but didn't
    have to endure the "pathetic little spoiled boy" of a patient.

2. Why do guys seem to adore any meal that might have been served on a school lunch menu? (i.e. salsbury steak with mashed potatoes and corn)
    Guys (and girls!) whose parents did not (a) expose them to a variety of foods, and (b) did not ingrain a sense of personal responsibility to their children with regard to nutrition are the ones who enjoy white trash foods. But the blame does not lay solely on the parents. Once out of the nest, every person has to rise up and take responsibility for their own life, and their owen health, and if they want to be a fat slob cafeteria food munching couch potato, then that is their choice, but also their responsibility when bad health hits them early in life.

CONCLUSION:
    Maybe you are dating the wrong type of guys? Don't date "boys" or "guys" as that is a waste of your time. You need a MAN. Men don't whine like babies when they are sick. They look in the mirror, and scream, and the viruses fly out of their mouths dead into the sink. Then the man gargles with Absolut Citron vodka, eats a bloody steak, and takes you to a movie.

Real men eat the best foods from all the lands that their forefathers conquered. Salisbury steak and mashed potatoes should be served to prisoners. Those gross and processed foods would run in fear if they saw the monstrous jaws of a real man glaring down at them, while the filet mignon and asparagus, and wild brown rice rejoice as they know they will be transformed into bulging masses of shredded musculature once a real man consumes them.

thank you!

sincerely, whatever
    You are welcome!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    Halla,

How can I make myself get up off my dead lazy ass and get to work? Why do I keep sabatoging my own efforts, even for things that I'm pretty sure are extremely important to me?
    Do the following:

(1) Write down your list of priorities.
    (2) Execute them.
    (3) If you cannot, then punish yourself.
    (4) Channel the anger you created and transform it into energy to do your work.
    (5) If this does not work, then take every privilege away from yourself, and do nothing that you like until your tasks are done, all or nothing!
    (6) If this does not work then enlist in the U.S. Army. They will whip your ass into shape.

I have major procrastination issues myself, and I literally do the above to manage mine. Good luck!

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

Enneagram
    9w8

I have to quote ye, so as to explain in reference to your different points.

So! On the points to remember about you, they may be applied to me as well. Essentially what I like to do for weight lifting is go in knowing what muscle groups I wish to work and pick from the many exercises I know to do so. I'm looking to expand my repertoire of exercises, but that's another matter. I watched others at the gym from the age I started (13) and tried out things as I found out what was effective and felt good.

Counting calories or planning to the hilt is indeed a surefire way for me to fail.

So! On your list, perhaps I should explain bullet-point style the way I eat.

• I drink alcohol but once a month, avoid prepackaged and heavily processed foods, and haven't had candy (dark chocolate notwithstanding), soda or fried foods since I was... thirteen?
    • I don't eat white flour or sugary things unless I'm specifically having a dessert (which is rare)
    • What I eat primarily is fruit, vegetables, random grains (did ye know how good Quinoa can be? Mmm), and meat (Mooo. Cluck, cluck. *fish noise*) - more white than red meat, and fish. Sushi is Goddess Divine.
    • I had to actually add fat to my daily food because I naturally did not eat enough of it. So, occasional cheese, olive oil for cooking, and cream in tea.
    • I drink a lot of water, especially in the form of tea - green, herbal, and occasionally black.
    • Really the only vice I have is caffeine, and I cut back to one cup of black tea a day, so...
    • So the primary thing which dictates my weight is my activity level, which has dropped recently due to life. Hey, I just realized that!
    • I haven't weighed myself in ten years, and primarily go by how I look and what I fit into.

I mean as to what shape/body composition one's body is happiest at, fat-to-muscle-percentage wise. Women have a bit higher of fat naturally, but really the concept is the same. Does that make sense? I wish to know what level of lean body mass is best for what I want to do and what is feasible. Is this essentially something only I can figure out through experience? I know the sky is the limit for those dedicated, but I wish this to be part of my lifestyle, not a fitness routine I do just to lose fat.

I highlighted the ones I do not do in red.

I hate indoor cardio and wish to beat it with a stick. I am currently trying to find fun activities that happen to be cardio to do on a regular basis. Dancing or martial arts, in all likelihood. Hiking, as well.

I do need some more free weight exercises that work out multiple muscle groups, but a rep plan that does not involve the really high weight and extremely low reps - I tend to do full-body exercises, possibly because I started out that way and also because I like it. It feels weird to do just one area ("back" on day, "legs" another) per workout, and I stretch a lot and just like feeling warm all over. Is doing full body workout routines (lifting, cardio notwithstanding) three times a week a bad way to go about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Hi there!

Your morphological programming and desired point of equilibrium seem very similar to mine, so hopefully I can offer some helpful tips.

First thing to remember about me: I am lazy with regard to processing "details." Calories are the worst sort of detail there are in my book.

Second thing to remember about me: I use simple rules of thumb translated into behaviors that are easy for me to perform on an on-going basis with regard to maintaining my level of fitness.

Third thing to remember about me: I live and train instincitvely. I have very specific plans for the short range, mid-range, and long-range aspects of my life, but my daily methods of traversing reality are executed with a rough bullet point outline, and the rest figured out on the fly, as too much planning too soon often results in wasted effort when reality reminds you that your plans are not in charge of the universe.

So, with that in mind, I offer the following:

Finding and Maintaining Equilibrium:
    (1) Determine what your equilibrium is (e.g. ration of mass to definition), and do whatever you need to in order to get there. This is most likely an assumption, but I am listing it just for the sake of being thorough.

(2) Choose some other means of evaluating your physique other than a scale. For instance, I go by how my clothes fit, and how I look in the mirror, way more than I do by my actual bodyweight.

(3) Eat 5-6 small-medium meals per day.

(4) Never eat a serving of carbohydrates bigger than your fist in one sitting.

(5) With regard to the size of your meals, consider the following: "Eat the breakfast of a king, the lunch of a prince, and the dinner of a pauper." OR, more simply put, Eat larger portions earlier on in the day as you have the rest of the day to burn them off, and decrease your serving sizes as the day passes by. EXAMPLE: I start cutting my carbohydrate consumption at 12:00 PM. I only eat protein and vegetables for dinner.

(6) Limit your sodium intake, and your intake of alcohol. Both bloat you.

(7) French fries or other favorite sin food only once per week at most.

(8) Eat cheese at most once per day. Cottage cheese does not count, as it is all protein and no fat, if you get the light stuff.

(9) Examples of mini-meals include: nuts + banana; protein shake; scrambled eggs + fresh fruit; turkey sandwich, etc.

(10) Drink lots of water. It helps keep you full, and it helps to burn fat.

(11) To make yourself feel full if you are hungry and have been getting proper nutrition, try the following: Eat 1 apple, then drink a glass of water. The water will make the fiber in the apple expand in your stomach and take longer to digest, making you feel full.

(12) Keep up your cardio, and if you can, do your workouts in the morning, as you will spike your metabolism at its lowest point (waking up) and benefit from a slightly increased metabolism the rest of the day due to the early AM kick start.

(13) Be smart about mayonnaise, sodas, sour cream, etc. Don't let condiments blow your nutritional profile.

(14) Eat whole foods, stay away from stuff in cans, boxes, jars, etc. Eat what cavemen ate!

----------------------------

Please let me know if the tips above are the type of advice you were seeking. If you already do most of these things, please let me know which and I'll offer some different info. to try and help you bridge the gap from where you are to where you wish to be.

Cheers,

-Halla

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am going to start up an exercise routine and have limited time so this advice to kyuuei was great. However, what if one cannot do chin-ups and pull-ups? These are well-rounded amazing exercises but I cannot attach a bar to my door frame or wall? Would I have to resort to targeting the muscles individually?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I am going to start up an exercise routine and have limited time so this advice to kyuuei was great.

However, what if one cannot do chin-ups and pull-ups? These are well-rounded amazing exercises but I cannot attach a bar to my door frame or wall? Would I have to resort to targeting the muscles individually?
    Ask, and ye shall receive:

Here is a high quality pull up bar that is versatile, and effortless to attach to a doorframe WITHOUT screwing in holes to damage the door frame: Enter the "Iron Gym." (~$30)

Total Upper Body Workout Bar - As Seen on TV | Walgreens

NOTE: Beefy man not included in Iron Gym box, he is sold separately.

TIP: If you cannot do a pull-up or chin-up from a free hanging position all the ay up and all the way down, then use either of the two following methods t ocheat:

(1) Bend your knees slightly, locking your feet together at the ankles to create a "handle" for your friend. Have your friend hold onto your "foot handle" (his/her palms up and cupped together) and request that they lift up on your feet when you need help with a positive portion (pulling yourself up) of a repetition. Then, for maximum effect, lower yourself down with no help, but do it as SLOWLY as you can.

(2) Get a stepping stool and place it under the pull up bar. Step up and grab the bar so you are almost at the top of the rep. Once you're up, hold it for a good 2-5 seconds, and then lower yourself as SLOWLY as you can. This is a great trick if you don't have a spotter.

(3) ADVANCED: Attach ankle weights, or wear the backpack with sand in it (described in kyuuei's response above) and then do pullups. The extra weight will make it harder, and you'll get more reps. BUT- if you do this for 3-4 weeks, and then do regular pull-ups, the regular pull-ups will be much easier, and you'll get more reps than you did before.

Is that a little better?

-Halla

P.S. I added three new exercises "FUN WITH TIRES" to my response to kyuuei, as I forgot them earlier. Check'em out above...oh yeeeeah.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes: