Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I feel a need to argue that Fi in regards to function is not different for everyone. It is the Si/Ni and Se/Ne that is different. Its fed not only different data from the same situation it is compared to different data from past situations.

So you are both driven by feelings. To me that would be Fi in this case. Now what drives those feelings and in what direction it drives them is based in everything we have seen in life.
    Um, yeah, and that's why Fi is different for everyone. Fe is more similar because it's based on group or community values.

However, you could have two Fi doms, and have one who has a value system which is an individualized variation of Fe cultural norms, and another whose Fi values are completely off the charts completely different from mainstream society. While the impulse is the same (strongly held individual value system or personal vision) the experience of Fi can greatly vary among individual people.

It's not just the Si/Ni and Se/Ne.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Um, yeah, and that's why Fi is different for everyone. Fe is more similar because it's based on group or community values.

However, you could have two Fi doms, and have one who has a value system which is an individualized variation of Fe cultural norms, and another whose Fi values are completely off the charts completely different from mainstream society. While the impulse is the same (strongly held individual value system or personal vision) the experience of Fi can greatly vary among individual people.

It's not just the Si/Ni and Se/Ne.
    Not argueing, but questioning. Isnt it life experiences that shape our values whether it be mainstream or not?

Now that I think about it, with NF types it may not be experience that drives it where as with SFP it would be experience. Your is driven more from Ne. But I still wonder if the function itself is still not similiar across people, just fed differently.

If Fi is itself values then you could actually change the Fi function since we can change our values.

Since you are here, if Ne is not based on experience then how do you know your values are true and not just some internal thing you came up with that sounded good? Ne seems like it is something you test, something to experience where as Se is more something to dissect, something you have experienced. Does this make Fi itself different?

Sorry alot of ramblings going on here, inner mind of an ISTP.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Not argueing, but questioning. Isnt it life experiences that shape our values whether it be mainstream or not?

Now that I think about it, with NF types it may not be experience that drives it where as with SFP it would be experience. Your is driven more from Ne. But I still wonder if the function itself is still not similiar across people, just fed differently.

If Fi is itself values then you could actually change the Fi function since we can change our values.

Since you are here, if Ne is not based on experience then how do you know your values are true and not just some internal thing you came up with that sounded good? Ne seems like it is something you test, something to experience where as Se is more something to dissect, something you have experienced. Does this make Fi itself different?

Sorry alot of ramblings going on here, inner mind of an ISTP.
    Ne is more similar to Se than you think...I actually learned this from Simulated World. Ne also takes in experience from the outside world. INFPs additionally have tertiary Si which is based upon past experience. Se and Ne just take in experience differently, but still thrive upon it.

Sometimes my ISFPs value system has been less practical than my own, I can reassure you. There have been real life situations in the past where sticking to his guns was in some cases silly, and in others actually self-destructive to a degree.

Ti is similar to Fi, though, in that it can possibly be just an internal thing that you come up with that isn't well-adapted to the outside world. Of course any time this occurs there are plusses and minuses.

Sometimes Ti or Fi can have ridiculous conclusions that never take shape in reality, while on the other hand they can provide the individual with the strength to create new realities in the face of obstacles. I guess any function can be used for good or ill.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think you are right and in that way Fi and Ti are similar. Personally, I don't organise how I feel, at least not at a conscious level. If there is somewhere that is not congruent I'm made aware of it. It is not a constant thing though.
    I'd say that's how it works for me. I think dominant Fi-ers often have a hard time understanding it because it's so abstract, not to mention it's what we just figure everyone's like, deep down. The revelation came to me when I realized that that's not the case. Then it started to make sense.

I do not organize, like, anything. Why would I organize my thoughts or emotions? But I know when something rubs me the wrong way when it happens or that it makes me feel sick or that it makes me blissfully happy.

I've been spending a lot of time lately hanging with and treasuring my Fi. I'll just sit outside watching a grasshopper and feeling all my love for it, all of its value. Or I'll watch movies that move me and just allow myself to bawl. Or the same with books. Or I'll play my guitar and sing and allow myself to express all of my emotion, not hide one bit of it.

I think throughout my life my Fi has been discounted by others and myself as a sort of sentimental hogwash so I kept it under lock and key as much as possible, operating under the auspices of my other functions that others see as acceptable or valid. Now I realize how kick ass Fi is- what a gift it is- and I am totally loving it.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Fi is based on what is seen as important in the given situation by the person, what there is of value to the person, and evaluating how you felt about something, among other things. Fi would see the value of the trees in the forest.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I'd say that's how it works for me. I think dominant Fi-ers often have a hard time understanding it because it's so abstract, not to mention it's what we just figure everyone's like, deep down. The revelation came to me when I realized that that's not the case. Then it started to make sense.

I do not organize, like, anything. Why would I organize my thoughts or emotions? But I know when something rubs me the wrong way when it happens or that it makes me feel sick or that it makes me blissfully happy.

I've been spending a lot of time lately hanging with and treasuring my Fi. I'll just sit outside watching a grasshopper and feeling all my love for it, all of its value. Or I'll watch movies that move me and just allow myself to bawl. Or the same with books. Or I'll play my guitar and sing and allow myself to express all of my emotion, not hide one bit of it.

I think throughout my life my Fi has been discounted by others and myself as a sort of sentimental hogwash so I kept it under lock and key as much as possible, operating under the auspices of my other functions that others see as acceptable or valid. Now I realize how kick ass Fi is- what a gift it is- and I am totally loving it.
    Thanks, that was interesting. I can relate to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Fi is based on what is seen as important in the given situation by the person, what there is of value to the person, and evaluating how you felt about something, among other things. Fi would see the value of the trees in the forest.
    I understand what you are saying here. Not the evaluating part though, I don't evaluate me. I evaluate my environment, how my environment is affecting me.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

oh, dear gawd! I read the whole thread and I don't get this "Fi" thing everyone is talking about.

Nevermind

here's the simplest way to define Fi:

and simultaneously,

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    oh, dear gawd! I read the whole thread and I don't get this "Fi" thing everyone is talking about.

Nevermind

im with you , I think they are bringing in Fi in regard to what they feel like Fi is. So they are using what they feel is Fi to describe Fi and this in itself is why Fi is so hard to define. My head is not spinning, but I am sure others are as trying to understand or follow that will just take you in circles This is inturn a logical deduction of this situation.

So how does an Fi define Fi without bringing in Fi to make the judgement? Because when you bring in Fi you then make it personal or what value Fi brings to you, which is not the whole of Fi.

edit: I didnt really mean or try to debunk what Fi thinks about Fi, but it seems like thats what I did.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

So Fi is the sound of one hand clapping