User Tag List

Thread: ISFP Teachers

MBTI
    ISFP

Default ISFP Teachers

Just wondering if any of you out there are ISFP's and teachers, or if you have had any ISFP teachers? What subject/level was it? What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of ISFP teachers? Did you find teaching to be fulfilling/did your teacher make an impact on you?

Thanks, I am currently a graduate student in Earth Science, and I'm discovering while I enjoy scientific research to some degree, it just feels like something is missing and it just feels like a job rather than something I'm really devoted to. I feel like I need a closer connection with people, and I want to be able to directly interact with those I'm helping. I think that I want to become a teacher at the community college level, but I'm not sure yet. Does anyone have any experience that can give me an idea what it's like to be an ISFP teacher?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I didn't know any of my teachers well enough to know for sure, but I think my art teacher in 8th grade might have been ISFP. He was cool for the most part but our class talked too much so we would frequently have to stop fun things we were doing to line up and march around the hallways in silence, that was his punishment.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

I'm ISFP and I teach kids English. Just part time, it's fun, I enjoy designing the lessons. It's about making it fun for the most part, the kids only come one hour per week.

I don't think I would want to teach kids full time though. Most of my jobs have tended to drift towards a teaching role. I work in the gym as an instructor also.
    In the gym I enjoy designing the programs the most.

I guess some of an ISFP strengths would be the ability to improvise, keep lessons fun. ISFP have an easy way with people so I think they would make great teachers in general. I struggle with keeping organised, gathering endless info and not being able to organise it in a useful way for myself to use.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My Spanish teacher was an ISFP, she was a pushover. But it was great fun talking with her.

Then again it was her first year teaching, and she was 22. That's probably why. She had a lot of potential.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISFP

wolfy, just curious, why do you say you wouldn't want to teach full-time?

Quote Originally Posted by KarliJoanne View Post
    wolfy, just curious, why do you say you wouldn't want to teach full-time?
    I'm not patient enough. When I said that I was thinking of teaching in an environment where some people don't want to be there. I could teach full time if the learning was voluntary and everyone was motivated.

I don't want to have to motivate people to be there. I think that is more a trait of my own than something ISFP, I think.

MBTI
    ISFP

I can understand that. I don't think I could teach high school, but I'm hoping that students at community college would want to be there at least a little more

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by KarliJoanne View Post
    I can understand that. I don't think I could teach high school, but I'm hoping that students at community college would want to be there at least a little more
    If you only ever teach elective classes then yeah I guess.
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

MBTI
    ISFP

Default isfp teachers

Thank you for posting this thread. I am about to embark teaching high school math. Although as you know, life can be very hard for the ISFP. I remember hearing a principal say recently at a conference to a number of new teachers that "You are becoming a teacher because you love people." I thought about it and said to myself. I am embarking on this journey because I love math, it is easy for me, and I've had success helping others learn by tutoring. I know especially young ladies turn off from math during these years and it is the great equalizer of the sexes that if I can teach success in math, I can teach success in life.

All day in a room full of people discussing social topics and all the research and training for teachers, although I see it is very necessary, is very draining. Anxiety about the future is very stressful (i.e., will they toss the lesson plans I've work hard on creating?). I read about just one another thing that I should be aware as a new teacher and it takes the wind right out of my sails. It takes away my freedom and free-spiritness. I don't deny methods and procedures but I am a learn by failing type of guy and I need to smell it, taste it, feel it, before I say, oh, that didn't work, that is what they are talking about, then see how to adapt and adjust. Other teachers are not me and I not them. I want to drop to my knees and ask Christ, you said "Love is the answer". Why isn't love enough in the classroom? I will find that answer out this year.

I see that for kids these days because not all adults portray exempelary(sp?) behavior that one must earn respect as opposed to be just granted respect autonmatically as I was taught by my parents because one is older than oneself.

As with the other person that commented, I am re-energized when I work on my lesson plans alone, design them, and "savor" them as I introspect of how I will present them to the kids. I am very dynamic and non-traditional teacher not afraid to stand up on the desk or teach from the floor in an attempt to keep the kids' interested (ala Robin Williams from Dead Poets Society). The other reason I am doing this is because I love God and need to show him that I love him. I am driven to service of Him and mankind and what better way than to use my talents as a smart math guy and bring out the kids talents and confidence and love by my actions. Although an introvert, I need the nurturing, warm smiles, and laughter from my students. As with the other person I too work well with kids that are motivated and want to be there. I have taught college with a lot of success there with the attitude that "look there's the door, I am not stopping you if you don't want to be here." I know that won't work in the lower college and besides, college is a sterile environment, I need the warmth and nurturing that a pre-collegiate classroom will provide.

I know one interviewer said it sounds like I would be good at a curriculum designer and I paused as said Hmmm but then commented that I wanted a couple years under my belt as a teacher before I started telling other teachers what would be good to bring into their classroom. Plus again, I need the warm, family-oriented, close-niche environment.

I have a great opportunity this fall at a school that is precisely just that. Hopefully when I implement the training I have been receiving even though new for me and preoccupied with all the other stuff that I did not implement due to time and energy, I will turn around to see the kids all busy, quiet, and working. Inside I will celebrate with a little YES! And to someday have a student greet me at the store years down the road and say I made an impact on their lives will mean all the world for me and cause me to shed a tear and give thanks to God and to the student.

It is a noble venture to be a teacher. All the best and Godspeed!

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

The most amazing art class I ever took was taught by an ISFP. It was an intro to drawing class and I learned more in that class than all the art classes I've ever taken combined. On a personal level I didn't care too much for him but as a teacher he knew exactly what to say, exactly what to have us read, exactly what to do, and exactly how to guide us. It was amazing. He had incredible insight, knowledge, and skill and was very adept at transferring it. Also, it was more than that...I came into that class feeling shaky as an artist and came out of that class feeling like I could do anything.

EDIT: Whoa this thread is old. I wonder what the OP ended up doing. /massively curious
    "To find beauty in loss, hope in darkness."