User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ISFP and Goals

MBTI
    INTJ

Default ISFP and Goals

ISFPs,

I'm sure you have goals- everybody does.

But how do others perceive you and your goals?
    Have you ever been accused of being aimless or have no goals?
    Has anyone ever expressed concerns about how you are going about trying to accomplish your goals?

I ask because my GF is an ISFP, and I'm considering marriage. As an ISTJ, words alone do not convince me with her, at least for this aspect. She has told me her goals, but I don't see or sense that she's doing anything about it. It's almost like she gave me something just to satisfy my question.

I did read that ISFPs often have their own way of going after their goals, which I interpreted to mean that they handle their business in their own way, which may differ from the pace and concern that their more bottom line conscious friends (Js) have.

Should I be concerned?
    Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I did read that ISFPs often have their own way of going after their goals, which I interpreted to mean that they handle their business in their own way, which may differ from the pace and concern that their more bottom line conscious friends (Js) have.

Should I be concerned?
    Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    This, I believe, isn't exclusive to ISFPs. I'm the same way. And yes, it can be hard for me because I feel like my goals are constantly shifting depending on what I feel like day to day.

Concerned? About what? Her goals in regard to marriage?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    This, I believe, isn't exclusive to ISFPs. I'm the same way. And yes, it can be hard for me because I feel like my goals are constantly shifting depending on what I feel like day to day.

Concerned? About what? Her goals in regard to marriage?
    Afterwards....If she has goals, and aren't really pursuing them now, I don't feel that they will change after marriage.

brainheart

Why is her having goals so important to you?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I shows you are taking an active role in improving your life and working towards reaching something higher than currently at specifically.
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

brainheart

Not necessarily. If you are someone who enjoys living moment to moment, taking things as they come, maybe the idea of goals just stresses you the hell out and makes you feel like you should be someone other than who you are.

brainheart

Or maybe her goals are not the tangible type that you consider to be goals... Maybe her goal is to be happy and to be with you. But like I know.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

What would your explanation be to a spouse who is frustrated because you seem content in a mediocre job, and get bored and quit school when they pressure you to go? She wishes you had goals you'd stick to and accomplish to help get a better job in the next 20 years.

(friend of mine)
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

MBTI
    INTJ

Goals are important because lack of them could indicate you are aimless and too go with the flow. I can understand moment to moment but everyone should have some long term idea of where they want to be and what they have to do to get there. It's called balance. No one is absolutely structured or absolutely go with the flow. I can understand not knowing what you want at certain points in your life but there comes a time when you have to make some tough decisions and take action.

brainheart

That she is forcing her values on her spouse. If he's content, then what's the problem? School isn't for everyone.

If her concern is money, then maybe there's some sort of vocation that he'd like.

(this is to nynesneq)