User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 91

Thread: ISFP and Goals

  1. #61
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    It kinda takes the fun out of it if everything is laid out from the beginning. You have to make mistakes and play around and tinker as you go and see what works (thinking about it, that play around part sounds terrible in the case of marriage ).
    NO!!!!!!

  2. #62
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    How this pretty much works is, if she truly wants to be balanced, then things will work out fine. You could help her in this area but she has to want to be helped. The thing is though when people want to be balanced they will state it so I can understand your concern that she hasn't. If she doesn't want to be balanced, then you're just buying time. Same goes for you. I'm sure you need balancing too.

    There is another option to balanced individuals though, and that is two people who compliments each other. It's like, where one person is weak the other is strong, and together, as a team, they have the spectrum covered. You defer to the other in the areas that they are stronger than you. This requires a higher level of trust, dependency, humility and cooperation. My guess is you don't want that though. It seems like you wish for her to be balanced, and you to be balanced and you two go through life together as balanced individuals.
    I like the compliment approach, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.


    See, I already own a house, and pretty much have things laid out. I want my wife to be able to come in and maintain what I already have going, not throw it off. I guess that sounds controlling, but I've worked hard to get where I am, and I want someone who is as dedicated as I am to making things work. That doesn't mean she has to work the same hours as I do, but I want to get the feeling from my girl that she's about it as much as I am.

    I wish she was better at explaining herself- that also confuses me. She talks very dramatic, and really when she does express herself, she says it's how she's feeling at the moment, and not overall. That confuses the crap outta me, as I'm a very literal person, so I take what you are saying at face value.

    I know, I know women do that a lot, they aren't direct, but it's soooo confusing and crazy.

  3. #63

    Default

    Not being committed to goals is not really type specific. Approach to goals is, or could be. Have you tried books on goal setting? I think a more general approach would be more useful. If she wants to that is, you can't change people.

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    IXFP
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I wish she was better at explaining herself- that also confuses me. She talks very dramatic, and really when she does express herself, she says it's how she's feeling at the moment, and not overall. That confuses the crap outta me, as I'm a very literal person, so I take what you are saying at face value
    It's suck that she does not recognize your need to know what direction you two are going. Her lack of goals or efforts toward one is making you doubt whether she is willing to put effort in the marriage. You're feeling insecure.

    I think she honestly does not understand how serious this is to you. She probably thinks that you are overreacting and just waiting around until you get over it. Many of the earlier posts shows that many other SPs feels the same and questioning "What is the big deal? You control freak."

    The question now is how to figure out a way to make her understand the seriousness of this. You two have talked about it before and she seems to have already made her mind up. How should you bring up this topic again? How to make her open up more?

    I suggest instead of asking her "What are your goals?" ask her many detailed questions "How many kids do you want?" "How do you want to raise them?" "Will she want to be a stay home mom or keep working?" "What type of vacations she wants to take?" "Does she want to live a comfy life and willing to work for it?"

    These questions are easier to answer and you can piece them together on what type of life she wants. It will help open her up.

  5. #65
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebrighter View Post
    It's suck that she does not recognize your need to know what direction you two are going. Her lack of goals or efforts toward one is making you doubt whether she is willing to put effort in the marriage. You're feeling insecure.

    I think she honestly does not understand how serious this is to you. She probably thinks that you are overreacting and just waiting around until you get over it. Many of the earlier posts shows that many other SPs feels the same and questioning "What is the big deal? You control freak."

    The question now is how to figure out a way to make her understand the seriousness of this. You two have talked about it before and she seems to have already made her mind up. How should you bring up this topic again? How to make her open up more?

    I suggest instead of asking her "What are your goals?" ask her many detailed questions "How many kids do you want?" "How do you want to raise them?" "Will she want to be a stay home mom or keep working?" "What type of vacations she wants to take?" "Does she want to live a comfy life and willing to work for it?"

    These questions are easier to answer and you can piece them together on what type of life she wants. It will help open her up.

    WOW!!!! This is spot on! You are on point about my feelings on the matter.

    Yes, I'm sure to like minded people my feelings about this are cold and unloving. But it's not something that I will get over or just accept. I can't. It's very important to me, and I need a sense that she and I are on the same page.

    It's strange. Academically and career wise, I've been very successful- and yet when it comes to relationships I couldn't even have figured this simple yet powerful move out.

    I'm going to figure out the questions I need to ask and take it from there. Thank you thank you thank you!!

  6. #66
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    No offense, but I'm having a hard time seeing why you are with her. It doesn't seem like you know who she is, minus the things that bug you. You say you are a good balance, but I'm not seeing it in a single thing you have said. You joked earlier that she's said before that she thinks you want her to be her clone. Well, I'm kind of seeing that, too.

    In Keirsey speak, what you seem to be doing is conducting a Pygmalion Project- trying to turn her into you vs appreciating and loving her for who she is. If you are incapable of doing this, I'm not so sure you two should be together- based on the limited knowledge I have, of course. You seem to perceive her as a little girl vs a thirty year old woman.

    "I want my wife to be able to come in and maintain what I already have going, not throw it off." Maybe you should hire a maid, not commit yourself to a lifetime partnership with a fellow human being?

    She probably isn't asserting herself or voicing her wants or needs because she wants to please you and you have such strong opinions, so why not just go with the flow? I know I do this a lot of the time, so as to keep the peace. (Or to get the person to stop talking about it.)

    Hopefully asking questions as sunshine brighter proposed will help. At the very least it will allow you to know whether you are right for each other. I wish you luck.

  7. #67
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    No offense, but I'm having a hard time seeing why you are with her. It doesn't seem like you know who she is, minus the things that bug you. You say you are a good balance, but I'm not seeing it in a single thing you have said. You joked earlier that she's said before that she thinks you want her to be her clone. Well, I'm kind of seeing that, too.

    In Keirsey speak, what you seem to be doing is conducting a Pygmalion Project- trying to turn her into you vs appreciating and loving her for who she is. If you are incapable of doing this, I'm not so sure you two should be together- based on the limited knowledge I have, of course. You seem to perceive her as a little girl vs a thirty year old woman.

    "I want my wife to be able to come in and maintain what I already have going, not throw it off." Maybe you should hire a maid, not commit yourself to a lifetime partnership with a fellow human being?

    She probably isn't asserting herself or voicing her wants or needs because she wants to please you and you have such strong opinions, so why not just go with the flow? I know I do this a lot of the time, so as to keep the peace. (Or to get the person to stop talking about it.)

    Hopefully asking questions as sunshine brighter proposed will help. At the very least it will allow you to know whether you are right for each other. I wish you luck.

    I don't want a clone of myself- I'm not trying to turn her into me. I want to know what she wants out of life how she plans to get there.

    I don't want to control people. I just want confidence that if I entrust her with some part of my life, she will be able to take care of it. For instance, if she is the one who pays the bills, I don't care if she writes checks or does it online- as long as it's done on time.

    I wouldn't expect so much support from most people on this side, because you are like her. You're not seeing things from my perspective, and you are taking what I say as not loving her. I do love her, but in this one area, which is very important to me, I'm not getting the feeling (I'm using the F word) that she's there with me.

    I've never assaulted her character. She's a sweet girl and would be good for me, but I haven't got a good read from her on this issue. That's all.

  8. #68
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    No, I'm trying to see things from your perspective. And I have a lot of experience with your perspective, considering my dad is the same type as yours and I know how it works. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to get at. What issue? The goal issue? Because it sounds like your goal is to be married to someone who will do things the way you do them. So that's what gives me pause. Because that is not a good way to start a marriage. A marriage is about both perspectives coming together, working together. So she's going to have her own way of doing things, as you do, and you both will have to sacrifice, let some principles you hold dear go in order for it to work.

    We know so little of your gf because we are getting only your perspective, not hers. So I guess maybe I should just stop talking because I have no advice to give you aside from the fact it sounds like you have a lot of communicating you need to do with each other before you should even consider getting married.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    IXFP
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I've never assaulted her character. She's a sweet girl and would be good for me, but I haven't got a good read from her on this issue. That's all.
    I agree. You definitely want to work with her and do not want to change who she is.

    It is unfair to expect you change for her and her not to change for you. With a potential marriage you both have to learn to compromise. Like you said before it's not the actually goal that is important. It her showing that she can be serious. I certainly do not want to marry someone who acts like they don't care 24/7. It would hurt my feelings when something important comes up. What you are asking her to do is not a lot.

    I think it's great that you are trying to understand her. You are trying to make her feel more comfortable. You being here and trying to make it work shows that you care.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    It's not about climbing the corporate ladder. I don't need a woman who is in corporate America. She does work. I was talking about things outside of work, really.

    But this comment here probably has impacted me the most. If she wants kids and a family, that's fine. If that's your goal, that's fine. But again, I want to hear it. The more I think about it, she may be thinking that those are a given in a relationship. But I'm not a mind reader, either.

    I just want someone who knows what they want and have put some thought into it. If all you can come up with is you want to be happy, with no substance around what happiness entails, it doesn't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy.

    Thanks.

    What did you mean by this line: And if she is anything like me she won't show her stubborn or assertive side until the ring is on the finger!?
    I think that is the problem with a relationship between two introverts, there is not enough communication going on. I knew when I was dating my ENFJ husband what he wanted for his future. I then had time to reflect if I wanted the same things in life so by the time he proposed to me, 5 months into relationship, I knew we were on the same track.

    I'm glad you are putting alot of thought into this before proposing. I think you may have to take the lead in communicating now .. hinting around about what you see for your future and see how she reacts. If she doesn't know what she wants, at least you may get her thinking about it now.

    LOL .. by that comment I meant that ISFPs, who are like me, tend to be shy, passive and insecure in a relationship. I wasn't able to show my more stubborn and/or assertive side until I was very secure in my relationship with husband which was after we got married. I felt more confident to state what I wanted or needed then.

    Good luck!

Similar Threads

  1. [ISFP] ISFPs and fluid identity
    By Quinlan in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 07:17 AM
  2. [ISFP] ISFPs and kindness
    By warm8 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
  3. [ISFP] ISFPs and Codepency
    By kštzchen0812 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 11:13 AM
  4. [ISFP] ISFPs and Gender
    By Sunshine in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 08:20 AM
  5. [ISFP] ISFP and hiding emotions
    By NYmac86 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO