User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 30

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default ISTP... What're your time killers?

    All ISTPs do it. You've got some chores you should do, a errand to run, a phone call to make. You put it off by thinking, "I'll just do it in five minutes." Then you get engrossed in some activity, you forget your chore, and you completely lose awareness of time passing.

    For me, my computer is like a specialized time assassin. If I start surfing the web, I can and have killed 8-10 hours at a time. If I get engrossed in a computer game, I can and have gone from 5 pm to 11 am. In retrospect, horrifying. WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?!

    On a smaller scale, I can take 30 minute hot showers. Eat a meal/read a newspaper for an hour. Wake up in the morning and lie in bed another 2 hours, dozing in and out and savoring the warm, soft, comfortable bed.

    What's your ISTP time killer?

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Those sound all too good. Computer for me too, and video games. Video games ruined my life. lol I dunno if it counts for you but I have the most terrible concept of time. I'm pretty much always late for work..my boss almost kills me..and its either im really early or really late.

  3. #3
    Member fway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w79
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Matrix View Post
    All ISTPs do it. You've got some chores you should do, a errand to run, a phone call to make. You put it off by thinking, "I'll just do it in five minutes." Then you get engrossed in some activity, you forget your chore, and you completely lose awareness of time passing.

    For me, my computer is like a specialized time assassin. If I start surfing the web, I can and have killed 8-10 hours at a time. If I get engrossed in a computer game, I can and have gone from 5 pm to 11 am. In retrospect, horrifying. WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?!

    On a smaller scale, I can take 30 minute hot showers. Eat a meal/read a newspaper for an hour. Wake up in the morning and lie in bed another 2 hours, dozing in and out and savoring the warm, soft, comfortable bed.

    What's your ISTP time killer?
    All of the bolded stuff, plus:
    - Eat when I'm bored
    - Walk somewhere (to work off the food)
    - Too much facebook
    - Sleeping/relaxing
    - Watching movies
    - Playing video games
    - "Fixing" things (for lack of a better term)
    - Listening to music

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Matrix View Post
    All ISTPs do it. You've got some chores you should do, a errand to run, a phone call to make. You put it off by thinking, "I'll just do it in five minutes." Then you get engrossed in some activity, you forget your chore, and you completely lose awareness of time passing.

    For me, my computer is like a specialized time assassin. If I start surfing the web, I can and have killed 8-10 hours at a time. If I get engrossed in a computer game, I can and have gone from 5 pm to 11 am. In retrospect, horrifying. WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?!

    On a smaller scale, I can take 30 minute hot showers. Eat a meal/read a newspaper for an hour. Wake up in the morning and lie in bed another 2 hours, dozing in and out and savoring the warm, soft, comfortable bed.

    What's your ISTP time killer?
    I'm not ISTP or anything, but I do crap like this all the time. I'm going to take a 30 minute hot shower right now simply because that sounds so appealing.

    and you know what? I'm going to lie down in it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    TypeC

  6. #6
    Just a statistic rhinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    teh intarnest

    online poker

  7. #7
    Controlled Mischief StephMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    TypeC
    Yepppp.... man, I wish I could fix my procrastination. It's awful. I can get carried away with -anything- that holds my interest more than the task at hand... and that ranges from video games to sleep to the internet to spending an unnecessary amount of time figuring out how I can increase the efficiency of a program/spreadsheet that designates where I spend my money. It's ridiculous.

    When I was in school, I was awful about going to class. My alarm would go off and I would keep hitting snooze up until the VERY last minute.... then it would take about two seconds to convince myself it wasn't that important to go, and go back to sleep. And on top of that, I would learn all my course material for a test the day before. Actually I take that back. I'd get my day started, ready to study, find something else to do for several hours, then at 11 p.m., I'd start to study... so the night before. It didn't help that I got by with it. Thankfully the problem solving involved with being a math major was somewhat of a motivation
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Those sound all too good. Computer for me too, and video games. Video games ruined my life. lol I dunno if it counts for you but I have the most terrible concept of time. I'm pretty much always late for work..my boss almost kills me..and its either im really early or really late.
    Thanks for the response, Jim. What's your pleasure? My past pathology:

    America's Army (full blown addiction)
    Knights of the Old Republic (periods of unhealthy obsession)
    NBA Live 2005 (just one more game, then I'll go to bed!)
    Halo 1 (Pistol. Pistol. Pistol.)

    Shorter term overdose/abuse:
    Battlefield 2 (good thing I don't have an awesome graphics card or this may have caused my premature death from starvation/dehydration)
    Swat 4
    Diablo 2 (how do you get addicted to a game that's a decade old?! Sad.)

    When I was 15 my ISTJ father told me I'd grow up and lose interest in gaming. He was wrong.

    In college, due to gaming I came this close to failing out. I acknowledged it as a bad habit, just like an alcoholic at AA. I tried to quit cold turkey (uninstall, baby!) but it was like cigarettes calling to a chain smoker. I gradually brought the habit under control through several steps:

    1. Forced social activity. I joined a fraternity and poured my energy into the stressful pledging semester.
    2. Physical activity. I rediscovered another ISTP passion, sports. It gives me the tactile fix in a more pleasing way than through a controller or mouse and keyboard.
    3. Real avatar customization. Instead of endlessly toying with my MMORPG character's equipment and appearance, I started staring in the mirror and improving my own avatar. Weight lifting, eating healthy, deadlier clothing, pseudo-metrosexual styling.

    Gaming is still always in the back of my head, calling for attention. I don't think I can ever stop completely, nor would I want to. Just like everything, moderation and balance is the secret.

    You mentioned gaming in your life. Are your experiences similar to mine? Have you worked on kicking the habit?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post
    Yepppp.... man, I wish I could fix my procrastination. It's awful. I can get carried away with -anything- that holds my interest more than the task at hand... and that ranges from video games to sleep to the internet to spending an unnecessary amount of time figuring out how I can increase the efficiency of a program/spreadsheet that designates where I spend my money. It's ridiculous.

    When I was in school, I was awful about going to class. My alarm would go off and I would keep hitting snooze up until the VERY last minute.... then it would take about two seconds to convince myself it wasn't that important to go, and go back to sleep. And on top of that, I would learn all my course material for a test the day before. Actually I take that back. I'd get my day started, ready to study, find something else to do for several hours, then at 11 p.m., I'd start to study... so the night before. It didn't help that I got by with it. Thankfully the problem solving involved with being a math major was somewhat of a motivation
    I push things off I dont want to do all the time because I can and get by with it. The tests where I failed miserably, I was like, oh well, gotta do homework now to bring my grade back up to passing. The better I get at things the more I will push it to last minute because I can.

    I had to meet with the Dean once because I put off an entire semester of online work to the last week and did it all at once, h9omework, quizes, tests, etc. The teacher failed me because he didnt want to grade it all at once. I showed the syllabus to the dean and me, the dean, and the teacher agreed that I would get a C and the teacher didnt have to grade anything I wont do that again though, I dont think, never been put in that position again.

    It was an electronics course which is based very heavily on math and logic.

  10. #10
    Your time is gonna come. Oom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Matrix View Post
    Thanks for the response, Jim. What's your pleasure? My past pathology:

    America's Army (full blown addiction)
    Knights of the Old Republic (periods of unhealthy obsession)
    NBA Live 2005 (just one more game, then I'll go to bed!)
    Halo 1 (Pistol. Pistol. Pistol.)

    Shorter term overdose/abuse:
    Battlefield 2 (good thing I don't have an awesome graphics card or this may have caused my premature death from starvation/dehydration)
    Swat 4
    Diablo 2 (how do you get addicted to a game that's a decade old?! Sad.)

    When I was 15 my ISTJ father told me I'd grow up and lose interest in gaming. He was wrong.

    In college, due to gaming I came this close to failing out. I acknowledged it as a bad habit, just like an alcoholic at AA. I tried to quit cold turkey (uninstall, baby!) but it was like cigarettes calling to a chain smoker. I gradually brought the habit under control through several steps:

    1. Forced social activity. I joined a fraternity and poured my energy into the stressful pledging semester.
    2. Physical activity. I rediscovered another ISTP passion, sports. It gives me the tactile fix in a more pleasing way than through a controller or mouse and keyboard.
    3. Real avatar customization. Instead of endlessly toying with my MMORPG character's equipment and appearance, I started staring in the mirror and improving my own avatar. Weight lifting, eating healthy, deadlier clothing, pseudo-metrosexual styling.

    Gaming is still always in the back of my head, calling for attention. I don't think I can ever stop completely, nor would I want to. Just like everything, moderation and balance is the secret.

    You mentioned gaming in your life. Are your experiences similar to mine? Have you worked on kicking the habit?
    Are you easily addicted to things or are you just that into gaming?

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] What's your favourite fictional character of ALL-TIME?
    By astroninja in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 11-23-2017, 07:08 PM
  2. [ISTP] ISTPs, what are your two strongest letters?
    By Speed Gavroche in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 11:36 PM
  3. [ISTP] ISTP - What is your "life task"?
    By Applesandhoney in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM
  4. [SP] SPs, what do you spend most of your time thinking about?
    By King sns in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 01:36 AM
  5. You're wasting your time - he's nothing like the Nightrider!!
    By 563 740 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO