• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP... What're your time killers?

The_Matrix

All ISTPs do it. You've got some chores you should do, a errand to run, a phone call to make. You put it off by thinking, "I'll just do it in five minutes." Then you get engrossed in some activity, you forget your chore, and you completely lose awareness of time passing.

For me, my computer is like a specialized time assassin. If I start surfing the web, I can and have killed 8-10 hours at a time. If I get engrossed in a computer game, I can and have gone from 5 pm to 11 am. In retrospect, horrifying. WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?!

On a smaller scale, I can take 30 minute hot showers. Eat a meal/read a newspaper for an hour. Wake up in the morning and lie in bed another 2 hours, dozing in and out and savoring the warm, soft, comfortable bed.

What's your ISTP time killer?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Those sound all too good. Computer for me too, and video games. Video games ruined my life. lol I dunno if it counts for you but I have the most terrible concept of time. I'm pretty much always late for work..my boss almost kills me..and its either im really early or really late.

fway

Enneagram
8w79
All ISTPs do it. You've got some chores you should do, a errand to run, a phone call to make. You put it off by thinking, "I'll just do it in five minutes." Then you get engrossed in some activity, you forget your chore, and you completely lose awareness of time passing.

For me, my computer is like a specialized time assassin. If I start surfing the web, I can and have killed 8-10 hours at a time. If I get engrossed in a computer game, I can and have gone from 5 pm to 11 am. In retrospect, horrifying. WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?!

On a smaller scale, I can take 30 minute hot showers. Eat a meal/read a newspaper for an hour. Wake up in the morning and lie in bed another 2 hours, dozing in and out and savoring the warm, soft, comfortable bed.

All of the bolded stuff, plus:
- Eat when I'm bored
- Walk somewhere (to work off the food)
- Too much facebook
- Sleeping/relaxing
- Watching movies
- Playing video games
- "Fixing" things (for lack of a better term)
- Listening to music

warm8

MBTI Type
ESFP

I'm not ISTP or anything, but I do crap like this all the time. I'm going to take a 30 minute hot shower right now simply because that sounds so appealing.

and you know what? I'm going to lie down in it. :rock:

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:D Yepppp.... man, I wish I could fix my procrastination. It's awful. I can get carried away with -anything- that holds my interest more than the task at hand... and that ranges from video games to sleep to the internet to spending an unnecessary amount of time figuring out how I can increase the efficiency of a program/spreadsheet that designates where I spend my money. It's ridiculous.

When I was in school, I was awful about going to class. My alarm would go off and I would keep hitting snooze up until the VERY last minute.... then it would take about two seconds to convince myself it wasn't that important to go, and go back to sleep. And on top of that, I would learn all my course material for a test the day before. Actually I take that back. I'd get my day started, ready to study, find something else to do for several hours, then at 11 p.m., I'd start to study... so the night before. It didn't help that I got by with it. Thankfully the problem solving involved with being a math major was somewhat of a motivation

The_Matrix

Those sound all too good. Computer for me too, and video games. Video games ruined my life. lol I dunno if it counts for you but I have the most terrible concept of time. I'm pretty much always late for work..my boss almost kills me..and its either im really early or really late.

Thanks for the response, Jim. What's your pleasure? My past pathology:

America's Army (full blown addiction)
Knights of the Old Republic (periods of unhealthy obsession)
NBA Live 2005 (just one more game, then I'll go to bed!)
Halo 1 (Pistol. Pistol. Pistol.)

Shorter term overdose/abuse:
Battlefield 2 (good thing I don't have an awesome graphics card or this may have caused my premature death from starvation/dehydration)
Swat 4
Diablo 2 (how do you get addicted to a game that's a decade old?! Sad.)

When I was 15 my ISTJ father told me I'd grow up and lose interest in gaming. He was wrong.

In college, due to gaming I came this close to failing out. I acknowledged it as a bad habit, just like an alcoholic at AA. I tried to quit cold turkey (uninstall, baby!) but it was like cigarettes calling to a chain smoker. I gradually brought the habit under control through several steps:

1. Forced social activity. I joined a fraternity and poured my energy into the stressful pledging semester.
2. Physical activity. I rediscovered another ISTP passion, sports. It gives me the tactile fix in a more pleasing way than through a controller or mouse and keyboard.
3. Real avatar customization. Instead of endlessly toying with my MMORPG character's equipment and appearance, I started staring in the mirror and improving my own avatar. Weight lifting, eating healthy, deadlier clothing, pseudo-metrosexual styling.

Gaming is still always in the back of my head, calling for attention. I don't think I can ever stop completely, nor would I want to. Just like everything, moderation and balance is the secret.

You mentioned gaming in your life. Are your experiences similar to mine? Have you worked on kicking the habit?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:D Yepppp.... man, I wish I could fix my procrastination. It's awful. I can get carried away with -anything- that holds my interest more than the task at hand... and that ranges from video games to sleep to the internet to spending an unnecessary amount of time figuring out how I can increase the efficiency of a program/spreadsheet that designates where I spend my money. It's ridiculous.

When I was in school, I was awful about going to class. My alarm would go off and I would keep hitting snooze up until the VERY last minute.... then it would take about two seconds to convince myself it wasn't that important to go, and go back to sleep. And on top of that, I would learn all my course material for a test the day before. Actually I take that back. I'd get my day started, ready to study, find something else to do for several hours, then at 11 p.m., I'd start to study... so the night before. It didn't help that I got by with it. Thankfully the problem solving involved with being a math major was somewhat of a motivation

I push things off I dont want to do all the time because I can and get by with it. The tests where I failed miserably, I was like, oh well, gotta do homework now to bring my grade back up to passing. The better I get at things the more I will push it to last minute because I can.

I had to meet with the Dean once because I put off an entire semester of online work to the last week and did it all at once, h9omework, quizes, tests, etc. The teacher failed me because he didnt want to grade it all at once. I showed the syllabus to the dean and me, the dean, and the teacher agreed that I would get a C and the teacher didnt have to grade anything:) I wont do that again though, I dont think, never been put in that position again.

It was an electronics course which is based very heavily on math and logic.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4

Battlefield 2 (good thing I don't have an awesome graphics card or this may have caused my premature death from starvation/dehydration)
Swat 4

When I was 15 my ISTJ father told me I'd grow up and lose interest in gaming. He was wrong.

In college, due to gaming I came this close to failing out. I acknowledged it as a bad habit, just like an alcoholic at AA. I tried to quit cold turkey (uninstall, baby!) but it was like cigarettes calling to a chain smoker. I gradually brought the habit under control through several steps:

1. Forced social activity. I joined a fraternity and poured my energy into the stressful pledging semester.
2. Physical activity. I rediscovered another ISTP passion, sports. It gives me the tactile fix in a more pleasing way than through a controller or mouse and keyboard.
3. Real avatar customization. Instead of endlessly toying with my MMORPG character's equipment and appearance, I started staring in the mirror and improving my own avatar. Weight lifting, eating healthy, deadlier clothing, pseudo-metrosexual styling.

Gaming is still always in the back of my head, calling for attention. I don't think I can ever stop completely, nor would I want to. Just like everything, moderation and balance is the secret.

You mentioned gaming in your life. Are your experiences similar to mine? Have you worked on kicking the habit?

Are you easily addicted to things or are you just that into gaming?:D

The_Matrix

and that ranges from video games to sleep to the internet to spending an unnecessary amount of time figuring out how I can increase the efficiency of a program/spreadsheet that designates where I spend my money. It's ridiculous.

Jesus Christ. When I first found out about MBTI I spent an entire day creating a comprehensive spreadsheet classifying my friends and family into personality types. It was freakin' incredibly satisfying. I mean, you're telling an ISTP that he can explain the behavior of everyone person he knows through organized categorization in a visual chart? And it can be done by recalling details of social interactions, then applying deep logical analysis? Talk about enabling an addict.

When I was in school, I was awful about going to class. My alarm would go off and I would keep hitting snooze up until the VERY last minute.... then it would take about two seconds to convince myself it wasn't that important to go, and go back to sleep.

Oh God yes. At my Calculus 3 midterm I borrowed a classmate's formula sheet. I returned it to him at the final exam. Because I hadn't attended a single class between the midterm and final.

In academic terms, I learned much more in high school than in college. Hey, in high school you get your lazy ass out of bed just in time to catch the bus in the morning. You've got 7 or 8 short classes a day, with gym and lunch to catch a break. You walk briskly between classes to show up before the bell and avoid detention. If you nod off or start talking in class the teacher yells at you. Since you're forced to be at class, you might as well pay attention and learn something, right?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jesus Christ. When I first found out about MBTI I spent an entire day creating a comprehensive spreadsheet classifying my friends and family into personality types. It was freakin' incredibly satisfying. I mean, you're telling an ISTP that he can explain the behavior of everyone person he knows through organized categorization in a visual chart? And it can be done by recalling details of social interactions, then applying deep logical analysis? Talk about enabling an addict.

:rofl1: YES!

.... I totally did this, too. :mellow:

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Is there any aspect of life that can't be organized in a spreadsheet?

The answer is no.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I'll 2nd (3rd, or 4th - 6th) video games. But not much anymore, I don't have a system. Armorgames.com gets a good chunk of my time on occasion.

Biking. A lot.

Working on my car.

Cleaning up all the messes I make.

Music.

Wandering.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Oh, and typec is a big one.

Is there any aspect of life that can't be organized in a spreadsheet?

The answer is no.

The term morphological analysis sounds overly complicated (and a lot of websites make it sound more complicated than it is), but it's one of the better ways to figure out problems. Also called a Zwicky Box.

Basically, it's a chart that lists all possible scenarios. You go through the chart and rule out illogical scenarios. Or as a brainstorm tool.

This one is the simplest explanation, demonstrated as brainstorm tool

"Matrix Analysis"

"General Morphological Analysis"

shelter.gif

(For bomb shelters)
Like here, you can see that if you choose "Priority: Key Personnel" as the general philosophy, that's going to change the way you select the other options, if they make sense, or how they will be implemented.

You could, for instance, build only in metropoles, but then you would need a system for bringing key personnel to the shelters, assuming key personnel are spread out. And to one large, main shelter, or to multiple smaller ones? Would you build new shelters? Maintenance? This chart should have a column for cost...low cost and new construction/high maintenance isn't doable.

Well, I just wasted 20 minutes...did you learn something at least class?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll 2nd (3rd, or 4th - 6th) video games. But not much anymore, I don't have a system. Armorgames.com gets a good chunk of my time on occasion.

Yeahhhh.... I had to get rid of my systems too and uninstall all the games on my computers. It was becoming an issue. I prefer to get rid of things at the source and not have to deal with the temptation.

Edit: To the above post: ^ :ohmy: That is... phenomenal. Where has this been all my life.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Swat 4

I've never tried ...i usually hold off though if I have something more important to do. As a teenager all I played counterstrike alot. Startcraft, warcraft 3. Halo 2, Halo 1, SPLINTER CELL!(very ISTP game). Old super nintendo and N64 games were awesome too. SUPER MARIO RPG!, perfect dark, goldeneye donkey kong. Now star craft 2 is coming out oh fuck....As I grew older I also got into more important things such as umm girls, sports (preferably soccer), martial arts. I make my own computers I buy the parts and everything, for my friends, family, and myself.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
i watch dragon ball z