123 Last

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Default ISFP who lacks empathy?

I'm seeing an ISFP. Well, at least I was sure I typed her correctly. She's definitely an ISP, but she lacks the sharp precision in thought that I associate with ITP types. But anyway.

She keeps going on about how she "just doesn't understand people, nor feel like trying to sometimes", or how she finds it easier to feign concern online, because it's so much easier to type than speak; she calls them "shallow words". It seems like she almost brags about how uncaring and unromantic she is. Unimpressed INTP is unimpressed.

I hear about how ISFPs are naturally empathetic people, and she sounds quite the contrary. I'm guessing that it is possible for an ISFP to behave this way, with a highly developed Fi but underdeveloped Se to gather information from people, resulting in a self-centred person. When we're talking, her input is always revolved around herself, rather than asking about me. She loves to talk about herself.

I dunno. This might sound odd, but perhaps she's telling me this as a form of verbal armour? As in, she's actually a soft and caring individual, but because she knows I'm not, she's BSing me in order to save face and avoid getting hurt?

She could be an ISTP, but I'm still confident that she's an ISFP.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't know if this is common for ISFPs myself, but I know someone an ISFP who definitely lacks empathy. maybe in a different way than your ISFP, in that she does not show empathy when (from my perspective) it is "required", meaning when I'm obviously sad (crying). she just does not REACT upon it, doesn't do anything to console me.... mh...different from what you described anyways....

How much an ISFP empathises is exaggerated in the descriptions. Look at the people who are typed as ISFP, famous people. They are not famous for there empathy, that is the INFP.

For a real world example, I don't really empathise with you and your situation. But it gave me a chance to express something I wanted to on ISFP and their ability to empathise. Thank you.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I thought as much. Thanks for the input, and glad I could give you the opportunity to post about the matter.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah I can't say that I relate to who you're seeing. I'm empathetic, I use what I have observed of the person and take context into consideration to do this. Maybe you're correct about her trying to "armor herself" verbally to not get hurt.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Sounds like complete and utter disowning of Fi. You've probably more than likely mistyped this person. Mind you, this is only based on the OP, I could be completely off base.
    INTP | IEI - INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    I thought as much. Thanks for the input, and glad I could give you the opportunity to post about the matter.
    As for the armour part... It's possible she feels a need to make the situation better and she uses techniques to do so. The techniques and mechanics she uses feel duplicitous to her. Then she feels a need to express this feeling, which she hides behind a kind of detached cynicism.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    Sounds like complete and utter disowning of Fi. You've probably more than likely mistyped this person. Mind you, this is only based on the OP, I could be completely off base.
    Yeah, basically.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Yeah, basically.
    Hmm. So what you're saying is that an ISFP can't become a self-centred vacuum of Fi+Ni in the same way an INTP is prone to the similar Ti+Si?

If that's the case, I probably have mistyped her. Only I wouldn't want to imply that all ISTPs fit her description. I think I'll take a peak at the ISTP female threads.
    Um, yeah.

I don't feel ISFP are any more empathic than other types. I don't feel I am that empathic. Rather than empathise I want to solve the situation. Right away.