User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Competitiveness

Default Competitiveness

There is one more thing I'd like to hear from people about. Competitiveness. How does it play out in your life. All SP are competitive, cocky and confident, some hide it better than others.

I am enjoying reading your thoughts and ideas. We are similar enough to understand and different enough to learn from.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I'm not really all that competative. I typically compete with myself to see if I can do something a little better next time.

I don't base anything on what someone else is doing to measure myself.

MBTI
    ISTP

I am competitive only with myself, really. I don't especially care what other people are doing, or if they're better than I am. I compete with myself to do better at things, even basic everyday things can become mental competitions. For example, since I have to leave for school at 6:40AM, and that I like to sleep, I've managed to reliably be able to eat a bowl of cereal, change, gather up my stuff, clean up, and be in my car, in about 20 minutes.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I exert my best in all that I do. When I was 8 my Dad took an entire afternoon one Saturday with me and we washed, vaccuumed, waxed and detailed his Volvo 240 DL Turbo (light metallic blue, navy interior, allow mags, nice car for 1982). It took us alllll day. When I was done waxing and he inspected it, he found some spots I needed to touch up, then he opened the gas cap. He said "Ax, you didn't wax inside the gas cap. Do you want the car to rust there?" I said "Nope, but I didn't think about it." He said "That's OK, just do it now, and remember it next time." When we were done he said "If you are going to do anything, do it right." Then we went out and got huge cheeseburgers.

That's my attitude. I give my best effort. I learn from my mistakes and experience gained along the way. I constantly try to improve that which I do. I give my customer's their money's worth, and they come back for more.

Regarding competition, I am very competitive with myself. I am competitive with other people where need be, but these situations are rare. It is better for me to establish rapport with my peers and entice them to give their best work to me in the process of what we are doing, knowing that if they realize I am in the whole deal for the sake of the project, and not just to make me look good, or them look bad, then everything works out much better. Both parties can shine or burn depending on their individual efforts.

If it comes to conflict, I take the high road, but if excessively provoked I will engage and I will not show mercy. I'm one to end things very quickly and make it very clear that type of thing is not acceptable. I'm a lover, not a fighter, but I will kick me some ass if I need to, and I won't feel bad about. I hate seeing others picked on. That irritates me more than anyone trying to mess with me.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I exert my best in all that I do. When I was 8 my Dad took an entire afternoon one Saturday with me and we washed, vaccuumed, waxed and detailed his Volvo 240 DL Turbo (light metallic blue, navy interior, allow mags, nice car for 1982). It took us alllll day. When I was done waxing and he inspected it, he found some spots I needed to touch up, then he opened the gas cap. He said "Ax, you didn't wax inside the gas cap. Do you want the car to rust there?" I said "Nope, but I didn't think about it." He said "That's OK, just do it now, and remember it next time." When we were done he said "If you are going to do anything, do it right." Then we went out and got huge cheeseburgers.

That's my attitude. I give my best effort. I learn from my mistakes and experience gained along the way. I constantly try to improve that which I do. I give my customer's their money's worth, and they come back for more.

Regarding competition, I am very competitive with myself. I am competitive with other people where need be, but these situations are rare. It is better for me to establish rapport with my peers and entice them to give their best work to me in the process of what we are doing, knowing that if they realize I am in the whole deal for the sake of the project, and not just to make me look good, or them look bad, then everything works out much better. Both parties can shine or burn depending on their individual efforts.

If it comes to conflict, I take the high road, but if excessively provoked I will engage and I will not show mercy. I'm one to end things very quickly and make it very clear that type of thing is not acceptable. I'm a lover, not a fighter, but I will kick me some ass if I need to, and I won't feel bad about. I hate seeing others picked on. That irritates me more than anyone trying to mess with me.
    Exactly.

MBTI
    XXFP

In high school I ran XC (cross country) and track. XC was really more my thing.

Freshman year, I was good enough to be varsity, but I wasn't that great. Varsity was about 8 guys. Throughout the season, I was number 4, 5, or 6 on the team. I wasn't very competitive. I did my workouts, ran my races, but never really paid too much attention to my times or placement, at least compared to the other guys on the team, who knew all the competitors on the field and their normal times and their stategies etc etc.

However, something strange happened right when the season winded down to counties, regionals, and the state competition. Counties and regionals, I don't remember really how I did, maybe 5th on the team or something. It felt different though. For states, it was 'the real deal'. I wasn't competing against my teammates, or really against anyone else on the course. I was just competing. I just ran my race. I came in 2nd on the team, narrowly behind the top guy on the team. (I don't think the other senior year guys on the team were very happy with this...sorry guys.) I don't remember my time or overall placement, but it was much better than usual.

I continued this trend all the years I ran - not all that serious most of the season and then as things came around toward regionals and states I'd really start pushing more.

Not sure what the moral of my story here is, but that's it. I guess, try to recognize when it is most important to perform.

If y'all can draw any conclusions from this that I'm not picking up on, do tell.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ISTP

Maybe it's an ISTP thing to just not be very competitive. I'm like slippy and millerm277, just competitive with myself... I don't really care what other people can do relative to me. Honestly, it turns me off from doing something. For instance one of my friends programs a LOT on the side. I was trying to code a fractal-something-or-other picture. And of course I picked that as one of my first non-work programs, which isn't the easiest to grasp, but I did. And he thought it would be fun to do it too. He completed that in about an hour while I was still trying to understand the examples I'd found online... I stopped trying after that.

When someone else's talent is obviously much better than mine, I don't bother. It's not fun for me to play to lose. I like playing against people who are on about my level.

Also, I don't like playing games where I have to exploit the other person's weaknesses - I suppose that could be every game ever, but I'm thinking of games like Connect Four where it's almost impossible to just play to win. You have to play to beat the other player and screw up the board for their next play. I don't know if that makes sense the way I have it worded. I like playing Rummikub a LOT. You play with the tiles you have, whatever is on the board and try to get rid of them before the others. You use the board to your advantage, not manipulate it so other players lose (altho that's a nice side-effect). Spades is pretty fun too. I know a bunch of people play to set the other team, but I play to make my number of hands.

It's been said other places, but we make games out of chores to get them done - totally true for me. Even stuff like brushing my teeth! I have an electric toothbrush with a 30-second timer on it so I know when to switch quadrants of my mouth. I pretend I'm in a toothbrushing competition (on ESPN with commentators!) and whoever does the most thorough job with the least wasted toothbrushing during switches wins. Of course all I win is clean teeth, lol. (And I would probably never tell this to anyone in person :P )
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

MBTI
    ISTP

I think I can seem really competitive at times because I work hard and am good at what I do. I like winning, but I donít really like beating people.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post
    I don't really care what other people can do relative to me. Honestly, it turns me off from doing something. ... When someone else's talent is obviously much better than mine, I don't bother. It's not fun for me to play to lose. I like playing against people who are on about my level.
    Iíve got friends who seem to be a lot more about the Ďme versus youí kind of thing. Theyíre always creating these ridiculous little competitions where the main prize is generally bragging rights and I just donít care. I donít want to compete against them, I want to compete against me.

Also, I don't like playing games where I have to exploit the other person's weaknesses - I suppose that could be every game ever, but I'm thinking of games like Connect Four where it's almost impossible to just play to win. You have to play to beat the other player and screw up the board for their next play. I don't know if that makes sense the way I have it worded. I like playing Rummikub a LOT. You play with the tiles you have, whatever is on the board and try to get rid of them before the others. You use the board to your advantage, not manipulate it so other players lose (altho that's a nice side-effect).
    Iím just going to steal this paragraph.

Looking back, and using sport as an example, the games that have held my interest tend to have a focus other than beating people. Athletics and swimming lost me at a young age. The sports that held my interest and attention tended to have a focus other than be better than the other person or team (or at least something else that could be my focus). Scoring that goal, winning that next point. It was about being in the moment and adjusting to achieve the target. And once I achieved it, I kept going and tried to do it again, under a different set of conditions. With athletics every race was the same. The only thing that changed was my placing. ĎHow many people did I beat?í or Ďhow many people beat me?í

I can and have spent hours practicing a sport. Because I enjoy it. It could be repetitive to others, but not to me, because I mix things up, tweak things, see what I can get away with and what I canít, and the whole time Iím improving.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post
    Also, I don't like playing games where I have to exploit the other person's weaknesses - I suppose that could be every game ever, but I'm thinking of games like Connect Four where it's almost impossible to just play to win. You have to play to beat the other player and screw up the board for their next play.
    That's interesting. I prefer snooker over pool because it does have that element to it. I enjoy screwing with the other persons play in games.

There is a positive to competitiveness I think. When you compete you learn. I remember learning in martial arts that both the winner and loser get a good lesson. Both people win, if they have the right mindset.

There is another aspect to being competitive. If you are not competitive then you will have no influence. I don't mean you need to compete but you need to be competitive, I think. To have that ability.

I like to have something to feed off, I like to have something/somebody to work from. It helps to motivate me, I know that and I like that.

Permabanned

I'm competitive at mixed martial arts, but I look at in the perspective of my own self improvement. Also sometimes i feel it a bit when i get tapped alot but i try not to let my ego get in the way. I know I can win and lose cuz that's how it is, you win, you lose.