First 123

Thread: Competitiveness

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

To me competition is just a motivator to get my lazy ass to perform better and to tap into that extra reserve of energy. The primary objective of competition in my perspective is not to assert my own superiority or to humiliate an opponent, but to increase the fun factor a notch.

I don't usually enjoy mean-spirited competition, the exception cases are when some arrogant people have provoked me into feeling that they need a sore lesson in humility, driving me to kick their butt's and perform at my out most.

There is something about the state of mind when you are in competition which put's a person in a form of unstable emotional perception. Every consequential move has an impact on the mood, tenfold of what one would react normally to situations. Loses and winnings are felt immensely.

Competition is a nice thing now and then, after all Se is made for tactile competition.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I'm not especially competitive. I usually play games, such as Rummy Jack (Rummikub), with my mom. My goal is to play her to a tie, not to win the game. I feel like I'm able to take more chances with the tiles when I don't care whether or not I win. I play Monopoly with her, too, but that's such a silly game so I just throw my money around as if it were growing on trees and I don't care if I get creamed. In fact, getting creamed at Monopoly is very funny.
    In most things, though, I want to do my best and compete with myself. I just want to keep growing and improving.
    I don't really need to compare myself to others.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I only become competitive when it's something I know I am good at, and I won't let the other person win, because I want to be known to be the best at that thing, whatever it is. This isn't often though. ;] Other people may disagree though.
    6w7.

I'm competitive, but not obnoxiously so or "in your face". If I know I'm good at something, I try to stay cool, more than likely win -- then end up laughing a bit in the end. That's my obnoxious moment.

If I'm not good, and dragged into something, there's enough of a need to see how it'll play out.. I just have fun with it. If I start getting my ass kicked hard though, I'm pissed inside... but I accept the defeat and move on. Depending on how fun it was, I'll either never do it again, or go back to the drawing board and come back with a quiet vengeance.

MBTI
    IsTP

I'm extremely competitive even if I don't show it, I never let on if I'm good at anything and there is nothing more I enjoy than 'sharking' people. Another guy I work with is the exact same mentality, though he never challenges you to anything unless he is sure he can beat you. He's challenged me on a few things and learned I have a few talents, namely billards, Guitar Hero, Karaoke and trivia.

I like to be above average in the things I enjoy or I get frusterated with them pretty quickly. At 6'5" I've always been good at basketball, though when I got a desk job I stopped going out and shooting for about two years, was lazy and out of shape. A couple friends invited me along and I got worked. I was so angry with myself that I started jogging, got back into shape, practiced my shots, drives, post moves, etc. Eventually when I was invited back I did much, much better.

Though on the other hand another one of my good friend is a bit of a couch potato and one day I finally got him to get off the sofa and come shoot some hoops. I was a bit too competitive, used my one foot heigth advantage to lay down the hurt in two games of 21, one of which he only managed a single basket against me. He hasn't wanted to play since, I probably should have allowed him to score a bit more. *shrug*
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

hah! yeah, i was going to use the shark word... but i've never truly done it Paul Newman style ;D

I'm 6'5" too, and used to be more active in basketball as well. I can relate