• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Male ISTP/ISFP's describe yourself at age 20...

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm curious to know what a male ISTP/ISFP looks like at age 20. How were you? Intensely quiet? Problems with being taken advantage of by jobs/bosses, girlfriends, etc? Anger issues? Whatever...I'd like to hear.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i was pretty wild in my late teens and early 20s. i have really mellowed out a lot. i was kind of a bad stereotype of an unhealthy ISTP. haha!

at 20 i was a highschool dropout with no intention of ever going back to school. i worked lots of different labor and physical jobs, industrial jobs (factories, train yards, docks). and i got fired from lots of jobs for angry outbursts, talking back, arguing, that kind of thing. i moved very quickly from one job to another, and i moved through apartments quickly too. i got into a lot of fights, i enjoyed fighting a lot. i drank very heavily, all day. i drank at work, and i didn't conceal it. sometimes i got fired, but some of the places i was working were so worthless that they didn't care.

most of the time i was very quiet, i was very independant, i didn't spend a lot of time with people. i was actually a pretty nice guy generally, i only clashed and fought with people who rubbed me the wrong way. but i was courteous and polite with most people. i remember i had an older neighbor in one apartment who was taking care of her grandchildren. i liked to play with her grandchildren, and she always used to call me "sweet boy". she was somewhat motherly towards me, but i do feel very bad about it now because i never felt that close to her. she never mentioned my getting in fights.

i was pretty happy honestly, or content, but it didn't take much to make me content. i didn't think about myself much at all, i didn't think about the future or goals or life. i just tended to drift along. i guess that would be the best description of me at 20. like a sailboat with no one steering it. sometimes it smashed into rocks.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I was studying at the time, I was very quiet and content. I had only a few close friends but was polite and respectful to most I met. I spent most weekends in the summer camping, surfing and fishing with my brother and cousin. I was very close to my family and had a great dog that was very loyal.

No anger issues at all, I was calm although at times quite self-concious.

It was a good time, and I was just about to meet my wife. :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was working 12 hour night shifts, going to school full time, spending time with the girlfriend turned wife(married at 21) and helping my father-in-law remodel his house. I was extremely easy going and very little bothered me. Somewhere I worked in sleep.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Age 20? omfg...I'm not so sure the tape plays back that far.

I was barely making it through college, working a crazy overnite shift on the weekends as a night auditor at a country club. I had my close friends, and I'd go to party's but didn't know quite what to do. i.e. If there were an activity like a game of pool, or dancing I'd enjoy myself...but just sitting around shooting the crap with a group of people? I'd get bored and leave the party with one of my friends, often leaving my girlfriend there to socialize.

I drank like a fish, didn't know what the heck I wanted to be when I grew up; didn't really worry about that aspect much at all...which I tend not to think of the future very often now.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was studying at the time, I was very quiet and content. I had only a few close friends but was polite and respectful to most I met. I spent most weekends in the summer camping, surfing and fishing with my brother and cousin. I was very close to my family and had a great dog that was very loyal.

No anger issues at all, I was calm although at times quite self-concious.

It was a good time, and I was just about to meet my wife. :D

If you don't mind me asking...how did you act with her initially? Were you the aggressor? Shy?

wolfy

awsm
From 18 to 21 I was a bit of a hippy. I travelled any chance I got with my ISTP friend. We went hitchhiking around the country. A lot of drinking and drugs, it was a fun time for the most part.
I can't speak of that time without talking about my friend, we were a great pair, I carried him emotionally and he literally carried me...back home.
I spent a lot of time camping, fishing, outdoors but for the most part it was about getting wasted. As far away from civilisation as we could get.
I didn't think of my career past immediate cash flow. I had an interest in business though, I'd sold home brew in school and tried to start a business selling music, both ended dismally.
I met my wife when I was twenty, almost twenty one. That kind of settled me down a little.

warm8

MBTI Type
ESFP
hmm, I'm about 20. I'm pretty mellow with everybody but I consider myself social at least. I'm studying art in college, and I guess I could say I'm okay with it, but I'm just really hedonistic and it gets me behind on my schoolwork.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Kinda like a puppy. Easily led in whatever direction that something smelled good.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Twenty...

Things moved pretty fast for me in my 20's. I lived in three different places, quit my job of two years as a grease monkey and worked as a shipping clerk for a large cycle/snowmobile shop which lined me out perfectly for my current profession.

I can't say I had any 'good' friends, I had roommates. In fact as I look back I do feel as though all the roommates I've ever had have taken advantage of me in one way or another. None of the people I really talk to or hang out with anymore from that time in my life. Truthfully I feel like I squandered those years, I'd keep to myself, pass the time by myself, and made no attempts at developing any meaningful relationships. I think I've opened up quite a bit since then and I am much happier than I used to be.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmm. I'm 18, close enough?

Intensely quiet? - When I'm not with friends/people I'm more than neutral with, then yes. Also, when I'm working or thinking, yes.

Problems with being taken advantage of by jobs/bosses, girlfriends, etc? - Nope. I don't take s*** from people. I might not start a big issue out of it, I just get myself away from it, or find a way to remove the other person from it. (Tactics? Perhaps.)

Anger issues? - Yeah, but it's more of an internal thing. (I don't act on my anger.) However, I've had people tell me that when I'm angry/annoyed I somehow manage to put fear into them without saying or expressing anything, or even showing displeasure. Apparently I somehow manage to give off an "energy" that strong.

Whatever...I'd like to hear. - Lets see. I'd say life's decent. I've got a flexible, well-paying job as an engineering intern, drive out to ski twice a week once the snow starts coming, have a great girlfriend of two years who I get along perfectly with, plenty of good friends, and don't have much trouble with school, even with 4 math classes a day.

On the other hand, I struggle with (from what I can tell, having read a lot on the subject) some type of social anxiety disorder, and have depression issues as well, that take a lot out of me often.

What else are you looking for?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well. I ask because I met someone who is either a ISTP or ISFP. We have great 3-4 hour conversations. I just feel really comfortable. We have a lot in common. Outlooks. Ideals. Hobbies. One of the first times we hung out we cycled over 25 miles in the middle of the night. Stuff like that. The main difference I see is that he's much more of a people pleaser than I am. He says he gets taken advantage of a lot. From what I see he does. He's aware of it but yet doesn't seem bothered too much by it. I have no problem saying "no" to anyone or standing up for myself. I ask why he doesn't do that. He said that he doesn't like letting people down. He brings a softer side of me out. I mean I haven't known him long at all but I feel like I do. I feel somewhat protective of him. I don't know of any ISFP's...just wondering if the dynamic sounds familiar at all?

wolfy

awsm
From my experience, I think that could be a ISTP/ISFP dynamic.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's can also get pretty self-conscious...which is kinda cute. It's just strange for me because I can see that if he's getting taken advantage of or mistreated I'd want to stick up for him. That's a foreign thing for me. Usually I would just think it's that person's responsibility to do their own dirty work in that regard and stand up for themselves. Also, I'm a girl...so I don't want to step on his toes and hurt his ego if I do defend him....but I feel like if this does happen it will happen automatically.

KDude

Age 20 I was a wreck.. even though I found God, went through rehab in my late teens,.. but I just didn't relate to anyone I knew anymore. I read a lot. I also was given Zoloft, and it just ended up making me fat and lazy.

lol..

Took awhile to work the kinks out. Still working them out.