Thread: On Fear

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    People that care seems to be the only medication that works. Yet emotional detachment seems to counteract that. Is there any hope?
    Seems like a tough nut to crack!

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I am extremely detached by default. It is the upside of being emotionally retarded.
    I'm the other way. I've learnt to turn it off and on to certain degree.

MBTI
    XXFP

Fear, by quotes

How to face fear
    You gain strength, experience and confidence by every experience where you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you cannot do.

-Eleanor Roosevelt
    In that moment when you pause to really see something that scares you, and you choose to keep moving forward, you suddenly are back in the driver's seat, more so than usual. Anyone else know this feeling?

What you can do with fear
    Fear is your best friend or your worst enemy. It's like fire. If you can control it, it can cook for you; it can heat your house. If you can't control it, it will burn everything around you and destroy you. If you can control your fear, it makes you more alert, like a deer coming across the lawn.

- Mike Tyson
    Mike might be a little crazy, but fear means a lot to the man, so I think he has an idea of how it works.

And if you've ever seen a deer coming across a lawn, or experienced fear in the moment, than it actually makes sense. It tunes in all your senses.

How to overcome fear
    Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.

- Mark Twain
    It works. It doesn't even have to be the scariest thing to see a large drop in overall fear. I'm not great with heights and jumped off a few cliffs into a lake, felt much calmer after that for nearly a week.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think part of it is projecting forward and using you imagination against you. Rather than staying detached and weighing the situation.The tendency of the mind to project forward and then get bound by an imagined scenario. The best way out of that is to move to a more detached/objective viewpoint... Or just say screw it and hope for the best.
    Don't know if I'm buying into the whole function order thing a bit much here but consider ISFP, to me often I think my natural process is:

What do I want to do? (Fi)
    Assess the situation. (Se)
    Consider the possibilities/imagined scenarios. (Ni)

So what you're saying is skim past Ni and think objectively how to manage those possibilities and get shit done (Te)?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Don't know if I'm buying into the whole function order thing a bit much here but consider ISFP, to me often I think my natural process is:

What do I want to do? (Fi)
    Assess the situation. (Se)
    Consider the possibilities/imagined scenarios. (Ni)

So what you're saying is skim past Ni and think objectively how to manage those possibilities and get shit done (Te)?
    Yeah, pretty much. Just look at it from a detached position. Weigh, scale and measure. I think the ability to be detached and to objectively look at things is pretty essential over the long haul. As I have gotten older I have noticed more and more and tendency to pull away and look from a detached position. It was always there but has gotten stronger over the years.