Thread: On Fear

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I fear some things, I love the ocean but I also have a respectful fear of it, a healthy fear I think. Fear exists for a reason, it doesn't often control me but I definitely listen to it. I fear that I may somehow hurt others, I'm glad I have that fear.
    I'd say what you label as fear (with regard to the immeasurable power of the ocean) might be common sense. Knowledge of the potential of your surroundings ability to influence you, whether by harm or benefit, is not necessarily fear, right?

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I fear shoving my hand in a hornets nest. But thats a respectful fear
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    I fear shoving my hand in a hornets nest. But thats a respectful fear
    I threw a wooden broomstick like a spear at an "abandoned" hornets nest, up in a big oak tree.

The nest came down, and the hive was indeed empty, but the top was impregnated with a slew of larvae. I watched them for a few moments, and then out of nowhere, a large black/brown hornet flew down the back of my t-shirt and stung me repeatedly on my back. It fooking hurt SOOOO bad! I ran to my friend's house. His Mom put meat tenderizer all over my back to try and get it to stop swelling. I'm glad I didn't have an allergic reaction. Don't screw with hornets!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'd say what you label as fear (with regard to the immeasurable power of the ocean) might be common sense. Knowledge of the potential of your surroundings ability to influence you, whether by harm or benefit, is not necessarily fear, right?
    Paranoia is being all too knowledgeable in that sense, and I would personally consider it type of fear.

I think fear is but an emotion. I think the F/T divide is a good way to approach the question "is fear useful?". From an evolutionary standpoint, emotions have an inherent survivalist value to them. Which doesn't mean being completely fearless doesn't have its perks. But fear comes with that useful knowledge you mentioned.

I guess the best thing would be to have that knowledge and turn off the unpleasant emotion it is often associated with. But historically/culturally it's easy to see the heroes simply acting on impulse without always harnessing that knowledge per se. Recklessness and fear are kind of mutually exclusive.

I think you are right that knowledge of the potential of your surroundings ability to influence you is not necessarily fear. Though I do think it is fear Quin is talking about. Fear tempered with sound judgement of the pros and cons of the situation. That feeling where you realise the danger and have an emotional reaction to it but press on regardless.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Paranoia is being all too knowledgeable in that sense, and I would personally consider it type of fear.

I think fear is but an emotion. I think the F/T divide is a good way to approach the question "is fear useful?". From an evolutionary standpoint, emotions have an inherent survivalist value to them. Which doesn't mean being completely fearless doesn't have its perks. But fear comes with that useful knowledge you mentioned.

I guess the best thing would be to have that knowledge and turn off the unpleasant emotion it is often associated with. But historically/culturally it's easy to see the heroes simply acting on impulse without always harnessing that knowledge per se. Recklessness and fear are kind of mutually exclusive.
    AND...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think you are right that knowledge of the potential of your surroundings ability to influence you is not necessarily fear. Though I do think it is fear Quin is talking about. Fear tempered with sound judgement of the pros and cons of the situation. That feeling where you realise the danger and have an emotional reaction to it but press on regardless.
    Both of you make good points, I see that the phenomena I am speaking of and that Quinlkan are speaking of are distinct. It is possible to observe the ocean, recognize its power, and respect it without being fearful. It is also possible to observe the ocean, recognize its power, and be anxious about its proximity to you. For some reason my brain does not make such distinctions on a forward pass when pondering on such topics, but I understand the differences in perspective if prompted to look through a different lens.

Interesting!

I think part of it is projecting forward and using you imagination against you. Rather than staying detached and weighing the situation.The tendency of the mind to project forward and then get bound by an imagined scenario. The best way out of that is to move to a more detached/objective viewpoint... Or just say screw it and hope for the best.

MBTI
    STP

Its a lack of fearing fear. Then this leads to a fear of a lack of fearing fear.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I think part of it is projecting forward and using you imagination against you. Rather than staying detached and weighing the situation.The tendency of the mind to project forward and then get bound by an imagined scenario. The best way out of that is to move to a more detached/objective viewpoint... Or just say screw it and hope for the best.
    I am extremely detached by default. It is the upside of being emotionally retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Its a lack of fearing fear. Then this leads to a fear of a lack of fearing fear.
    Do they make medication for that yet?

MBTI
    STP

I am extremely detached by default. It is the upside of being emotionally retarded.

Do they make medication for that yet?
    People that care seems to be the only medication that works. Yet emotional detachment seems to counteract that. Is there any hope?