• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] In praise of ISTP's

sassafrassquatch

*reads thread*

Damn, I must be the most boring, well behaved ISTP ever. :blush:

*goes through the type descriptions again*

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
My best buddy is ISTP. Well, I have two best buddies*, one ISTJ and one ISTP. But I kinda like the ISTP more (don't tell Dave that). Even though he's not the best typist in the world either ;)

He's a grouchy, pedantic bastard, but somehow manages to pull it off in a way that makes you still like him, no matter what, and nothing's quite as much fun without him. He's great when he's drunk - all the stuff he keeps in his head normally just comes out, and it's great fun. And the next morning, he forgets everything after the second pint. He's always up for any adventure, and he's a superb photographer. He rescues my failed attempts at being handy with powertools. He's really smart and knows a lot of obscure information, but he's humble about it and doesn't wave it in people's faces.

My step-dad is ISTP as well, and he's what's known in the UK as 'the salt of the earth' kind of guy. And he can take apart a car engine and put it back together again, which to me is totally awesome. And he puts up with my mom nagging him all the time, and yet still manages to maintain his dignity and independence where most other guys would've by now become hen-pecked wusses.

So, c'mon people, let's give those ISTP's a bit of love and adoration. They'll probably take it a bit better than the INFP's at least! ;)

*actually I've probably got about 5 or 6, but for convenience let's keep it at 2 for now
In the eyes of the ISTP the ENTP is a bit of a romantic.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
He's a grouchy, pedantic bastard, but somehow manages to pull it off in a way that makes you still like him, no matter what, and nothing's quite as much fun without him. He's great when he's drunk - all the stuff he keeps in his head normally just comes out, and it's great fun. And the next morning, he forgets everything after the second pint. He's always up for any adventure, and he's a superb photographer. He rescues my failed attempts at being handy with powertools. He's really smart and knows a lot of obscure information, but he's humble about it and doesn't wave it in people's faces.

I definitely get grouchy - it's mainly dependent on how much sleep and food I've had...the more I'm lacking, the more grouchy I get! And being woken up before I'm ready to wake up is the worst thing ever.
Pedantic - it depends on the topic, but I can definitely be that. A lot of the time I just let things go.

I'm loads cooler when I'm drunk. When I'm sober I'm really quite, never know what to say or what people will like. Put a couple of drinks in me and I'm so freaking social... I'll pretty much admit to anything too. I'm one of the types to answer all kinds of questions drunk, but I divert the attention away if I'm sober and it's something I don't want to answer.

Adventures are what I store energy for!! :D

I keep my knowledge to myself most of the time - even when people say wrong stuff in front of me. I'll correct them if I'm an active part in the conversation or if I'm directly asked for my opinion. Otherwise I usually keep quiet.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*reads thread*

Damn, I must be the most boring, well behaved ISTP ever. :blush:

*goes through the type descriptions again*

yeah- I've never succeeded in blowing anything up! :( (this is not to say I haven't TRIED!) so this doesn't make you a terrible ISTP!

and I certainly hope you have a better driving record!

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think ISTP's are very cool but they sometimes annoy the hell out of me because of their coldness, lack of friendliness and general disdain for theory.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think ISTP's are very cool but they sometimes annoy the hell out of me because of their coldness, lack of friendliness and general disdain for theory.

Like Whatever said... I don't try to be cold either. I guess what others think requires more warmth/feeling is something I'd tell them to get over and not worry about.

Most people have to earn my genuine friendliness. I mean, I'm pleasant around people and I'm usually pretty nice, but more often than not...I just don't give a shit on the inside. (I should probably work on that.)

One thing I've noticed is that it's very hard for me to feel compassionate towards others when they're talking about something I've never been through. My thought process for it is all logical; when I tell them what I think I come of as being totally cold and heartless.
For instance, take poetry...
1. The author should come out and tell me what's on their mind. I'm awful at reading between lines and picking up on subtleties.
2. They're usually referring to something I haven't been through, and even if I have, I'd probably feel entirely different about the whole situation. (i.e. I probably wouldn't care.)

I told one of my friends this and he was in a sort of shock over how incredibly frigid I sound toward other people. I never thought it was that big a deal. I guess it's built in for me to minimize things. I'm also guessing I'll never get an ulcer :p

As far as theory goes... I think it's great that other people can do it because I certainly don't understand most of it. It's definitely interesting, but I suck at it and that makes me not want to talk about it or do it. I like practical applications much better. If I like the application enough, I'll go learn some theory.

Toby

That just means you're not friends. You're missing out, too. ISTPs are one of the best kept, most underrated secrets. Probably because they underrate themselves.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I often come across as cold because I am annoyed by people whining about something that I wouldn't care about, so it's hard for me to fake sympathy. The problem is most things genuinely don't bother me, so a lot of the time I'm left wondering why the hell everyone is so bloody sensitive....I'm always totally shocked when I've offended someone by bringing up some touchy subject or phrasing things improperly or by debating an idea they raise. I'm trying to learn what offends/hurts people, really I am, but it seems to be an enormous list of totally illogical things, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm still trying to accept that it's me who has to accommodate others if I want to get anywhere, rather than make others stop overreacting/start making sense.

And I'm very cold and unfriendly if I'm tired or cranky, but that's just the I though, I think. Maybe IxTx.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't TRY to be cold!!! :cry:

;)

Like Whatever said... I don't try to be cold either. I guess what others think requires more warmth/feeling is something I'd tell them to get over and not worry about.

Most people have to earn my genuine friendliness. I mean, I'm pleasant around people and I'm usually pretty nice, but more often than not...I just don't give a shit on the inside. (I should probably work on that.)

One thing I've noticed is that it's very hard for me to feel compassionate towards others when they're talking about something I've never been through. My thought process for it is all logical; when I tell them what I think I come of as being totally cold and heartless.
For instance, take poetry...
1. The author should come out and tell me what's on their mind. I'm awful at reading between lines and picking up on subtleties.
2. They're usually referring to something I haven't been through, and even if I have, I'd probably feel entirely different about the whole situation. (i.e. I probably wouldn't care.)

I told one of my friends this and he was in a sort of shock over how incredibly frigid I sound toward other people. I never thought it was that big a deal. I guess it's built in for me to minimize things. I'm also guessing I'll never get an ulcer :p

As far as theory goes... I think it's great that other people can do it because I certainly don't understand most of it. It's definitely interesting, but I suck at it and that makes me not want to talk about it or do it. I like practical applications much better. If I like the application enough, I'll go learn some theory.

That just means you're not friends. You're missing out, too. ISTPs are one of the best kept, most underrated secrets. Probably because they underrate themselves.

I often come across as cold because I am annoyed by people whining about something that I wouldn't care about, so it's hard for me to fake sympathy. The problem is most things genuinely don't bother me, so a lot of the time I'm left wondering why the hell everyone is so bloody sensitive....I'm always totally shocked when I've offended someone by bringing up some touchy subject or phrasing things improperly or by debating an idea they raise. I'm trying to learn what offends/hurts people, really I am, but it seems to be an enormous list of totally illogical things, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm still trying to accept that it's me who has to accommodate others if I want to get anywhere, rather than make others stop overreacting/start making sense.

And I'm very cold and unfriendly if I'm tired or cranky, but that's just the I though, I think. Maybe IxTx.

Yeah well, it's a good thing because I already got an ulcer ;) Too much anger I guess!

I know ISTP's are awesome once you get to know them. A couple of my close friends are. But it takes some time, and they can be very reserved. I really like their laid back attitude. But with every positive comes some negative. And that negative is sometimes an "I don't give a shit" attitude which is irritating when you are trying to get things moving.

Don't get my wrong, I really respect ISTP's in general and thing their attitude is cool and admirable in general. But they do annoy me sometimes - like every type, no one's perfect.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah- if I like you I'll be really nice to you, but if you annoy me in any way I'll be a bitch! My friends are treated as nicely as I can treat anyone. I'm neutral (to all of those touchy-feely people this probably translates as cold) to people I don't know well (Jordan on Scrubs- "I don't hate you, I nothing you").

I agree! no food and no sleep make a very cranky me! :)

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
But it's true in general that IxTx tend to be the most "unfriendly" type. Like you come in :party2: and they go :mellow: ... ;)

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

Amen!!! In the process of learning what offends/hurts others...I just become more introverted because it seems like I can't say anything without offending. The thing is, when I say stuff, my intention isn't for it to be mean...just take it for what the words say - y'know, literally. And reading into what I say is so NOT what I want people to do. But they do, and I come off as cold and stuff. *shrug*

I also agree with whatever again - I think I can be one of the best friends on the planet...once we're friends. It's just getting to that friend point that's the problem. A little toot of my own horn - I do almost anything for my friends, even if we drift apart. However, if we drift apart because we have a huge fight...I become the cold heartless bitch I'm usually accused of being (so no major change, right? lol).

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
But it's true in general that IxTx tend to be the most "unfriendly" type. Like you come in :party2: and they go :mellow: ... ;)

Bah, in theory maybe, but I'll have you know that I'm plenty warm with my friends.

Ok, I lie. But that's besides the point. I just dislike your theory.

:hug:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
:tongue: But liking or not does not prove/disprove it

It's theory... it's already not proven :p I already don't need to do anything, it disproves itself!

:yes:

/me Living the stereotypes, one step at a time.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Amen!!! In the process of learning what offends/hurts others...I just become more introverted because it seems like I can't say anything without offending. The thing is, when I say stuff, my intention isn't for it to be mean...just take it for what the words say - y'know, literally. And reading into what I say is so NOT what I want people to do. But they do, and I come off as cold and stuff. *shrug*
Haha...I had the most interesting debate with my INFJ friend about intentions the other night. My point of view was that intentions should be all that matter, if they know I don't mean harm by something, people shouldn't be offended. I consider intention and actions far more heavily than words...if I think someone is purposely being mean, I'll get annoyed at them even if they're saying something innocuous...and I usually won't be fazed by the most hurtful thing said in jest/without malice. I respond to the tone more than to the words (although I think this applies more with close friends who I can read, rather than acquaintances).

His counterpoint was in essence that I need to consider how other people are thinking, and that most people are offended by illogical things, and I just have to deal with that. It's more accurate to try to predict/consider how the other person might react than to 'put myself in their shoes' because most people just don't think like me, apparently. I'm supposed to flex around other people instead of getting mad at them for not flexing around me. Ie try to be sensitive instead of calling everyone else oversensitive. Which makes sense, I guess, to a degree.

This was after me offending another friend by saying something I considered to be an objective, neutral statement, not even thinking about the possibility of it offending, while she considered it an attack/rejection of her carefully-laid plans. I still don't really get it....:mellow:

(/tangent)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
One of the most outstanding things about my ISTP husband is that it has always been his habit to think of my needs first before his own. This shows itself in little ways like if he gets up to get something to drink, he asks me if I want some too. He always serves me first. But deeper than that, I just had this deep down sense when we were dating that he would never take advantage of me or do anything that would hurt me, which is why I felt safe to marry him. He puts my best interests first.

That can kind of sound selfish in a way, but I don't mean it like that. I mean that I can trust him. He doesn't "use" me. I don't know if that's an ISTP thing, but if it is, I think it's one of the most important traits to find in a mate.