• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] In praise of ISTP's

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
Aren't you a bit young to have held a supervisory position? Nevertheless, more power to you. :cheers:

Yeah. I've worked a lot of positions in a variety of industries over the last eight years. Is it just me, or are ISTPs the stereotypical "Jack of All Trades, Master of None?"

I've done everything from manage a restaurant to building custom windows to graphic design. Fun stuff.

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I like ISTPs a lot. Despite their reputations as the most introverted of all introverts- they are pretty good socially, make great conversion and have perfect social propriety. They tend to dress really well, make good analysis on abstract subjects and only need to be taken to a place once, before they remember how to get there again.

Their weakness is that due to their inability to articulate their feelings and wants, that they often become codependent on people who make decisions for them, especially overbearing people who are overly emotional and hysterical. Therefore, they are chronically dissatisfied because they feel trapped in situations in which they feel they have no control over- yet they rather be in that situation than be alone.

For an ISTP to be happy- they need to be around others who give them independence- and let them make their own decisions and bring out the best in them.

Overall they are very cool people, can make conversation with anyone they meet, tidy, well- dressed, ethical and filled with a sense of duty. They make really great co-workers and friends because you know you can depend on them to be consistent.

Hah, my fiance is an ESTJ.

I think I would mostly agree with your analysis, but not the "overly emotional and hysterical" part. Most of my interactions with that sort have remained fairly distant, due in large part to our mutual distrust and drastic miscommunication.

But otherwise, yeah. My closer relationships tend to be with more decisive, plan-oriented people (ENTP mother, INTJ father, INTJ best friend, ESTJ fiance) who balance out my more laid-back, plan-avoiding personality.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Yeah. I've worked a lot of positions in a variety of industries over the last eight years. Is it just me, or are ISTPs the stereotypical "Jack of All Trades, Master of None?"

I've done everything from manage a restaurant to building custom windows to graphic design. Fun stuff.

Yep.

I'm 26 and started working at 18. Since then I have been: waiter, tour guide, tram driver, supervisor assistant, help desk tech, desktop support tech and now network security admin.

LokiVanguard

MBTI Type
ISTP

I get bored VERY easily.... it kinda sucks.

MuraKoji

MBTI Type
LOCK
Enneagram
8w7
ISTP is DEFINITELY the best type! They are calm in tense situations, and that means they never lose control. And most of all, someone in Slam Dunk (anime) also has this type (He's my current Anime Crush)

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
My best friend is an ISTP. He's great in a crisis and a genius with anything mechanical. In conversation he adds a balancing concrete element to all my abstractness.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i met an ISTP through a friend. they worked together at a title (real estate) place and we used to chat over AIM and make fun of our mutual friend haha. we'd been chatting online for about 3-4 yrs. i started liking him on and off (the more consecutively i talk to him) because he's funny, smart and cuz i admire him. anyway, he's majoring in psychology at uni, working full time, is a drummer in 6 thrash/grindcore type bands, has practices, recordings and tours and has to do homework. i think it's admirable that his life's so active, not sure how he keeps it all going. i finally met up w/him a few wks ago and it was cool. we just watched a few funny shows on dvd and the big lebowski. i think i've reached a point where i'm kinda in as a good friend, but i'd like to be and even closer friend so we can end up hanging out more often (when he has time) and possible date damnit lol 3-4 yrs is a long time for me to have idealized him, being an NF and all and i just want to get to know him in person now and either get closer or move on, but still keep him as a friend. any tips?! i'd gladly appreciate them!

ps: things we have in common, we're both musicians, though i'm not nearly as active as he is in any type of music scene. i play guitar, write my own music/lyrics and mainly have done open mics...haven't found ppl who i see eye to eye on music or connected with. i think we can both appreciate art and practicality/common sense. he knows a lot about me and my past w/guys seeing that he was the person i'd go to for advice on guys, not sure that's a good or bad thing ha. he's managed to open up to me and tell me some personal things about him, though i know i've spilled more info than he has.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

No it's the type. Based on a BBC type study, ISTPs-Resolvers are more prone to change jobs than any other type. Like the INTP, ISTPs have also been the type to say they're unhappy with their current job. I think the difference is ISTPs can be quite short sighted in realizing how their actions affects others, so they don't stay if they feel the urge to leave. Also STPs in general will not stay in a job for the sake of security, which is where we differ from STJs. As for "jack of all trades", I understand that Ti dominance makes this type more prone to limiting their choices without a good development of their auxilary. So they become specialized.

Last edited:

MBTI Type
INFP
Another INFP in praise of ISTPs here. Their friendship is a lot like our love: hard to earn, lasts and lasts, unconditional. When it works both ways, this can be a very "tight" (as in lasting, not constricting) bond. And when we're all the patient, IxxP listeners we typically are, the communication isn't half-bad either. This combo can really enjoy life together & have a lot of fun. I know one INFP/ISTP couple who've been married for years and are among the most humorous, sensual, happy people I've seen.

That enough love for ya?

grendiecat

MBTI Type
ENFJ
ISTPs as friends

I've got to say I'm finding that to be true. I've made an ISTP friend and have found that it took almost a year to establish the friendship, conflict of interest work stuff, etc. but time and a lot of persistent effort on my part to cultivate a friendship with him has paid off. We had a misunderstanding this weekend (I'm an ENFJ, so bound to happen) and he handled it so nicely, kind of teasing, light and I felt all conflicted inside and I expected him to just say--crap---too stressful, bye bye, but instead it was fine and felt so rewarding.

""Their friendship is a lot like our love: hard to earn, lasts and lasts, unconditional. When it works both ways, this can be a very "tight" (as in lasting, not constricting) bond"

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm just gonna throw it out there that Wolverine is probably an ISTP. Enough said.
He's not an INTJ at all. Don't even think of suggesting it. I know you want to. But you would be so wrong.

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm just gonna throw it out there that Wolverine is probably an ISTP. Enough said.
He's not an INTJ at all. Don't even think of suggesting it. I know you want to. But you would be so wrong.

Hmmm... depends on who's writing. I'll throw out Tony Stark/Iron Man as an xSTP candidate.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I never got very good booms from it... draino has the side effect of heat generation, which reduces the containment strength. Good for killing plants though

You can get a much higher boom from baking powder and vinegar. It takes a while to get the right ratio (well, it did before I knew chemistry :D ) and get a good timing mechanism so that you can... close it and run... But it's actually more effective than almost anything else you can get your hands on. Except the really dangerous stuff.

The advantage is that it is non toxic. The weak point is still the cap that gives. If you duct tape the cap, you can actually get a pretty impressive effect - the only drawback is that you need a really really good timing system... and this works better for the 2l bottles so that you can get enough pressure to actually blow the bottle up (this is harder than you think... and believe me, when they don't blow, you really don't want to get close.)
We discovered that we got a louder boom out of a stiffer bottle, hence the small Gatorade bottles... like the Vitamin Water bottles.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I always have thought my son was ISTP. Since coming here I'm more inclined to think he's INTP.

But when he was young I used to stand outside of his door on laundry day and dread opening the door because he nearly always had it rigged with a booby-trap and I never knew what was gonna happen when I opened the door.

Edit: And, yes. He is a most loyal son to me.