User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    ISTPs can turn a rather dull thread about praising their own type into a much cooler thread about blowing stuff up.
    Exactly.

*reads thread*

Damn, I must be the most boring, well behaved ISTP ever.

*goes through the type descriptions again*

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    My best buddy is ISTP. Well, I have two best buddies*, one ISTJ and one ISTP. But I kinda like the ISTP more (don't tell Dave that). Even though he's not the best typist in the world either

He's a grouchy, pedantic bastard, but somehow manages to pull it off in a way that makes you still like him, no matter what, and nothing's quite as much fun without him. He's great when he's drunk - all the stuff he keeps in his head normally just comes out, and it's great fun. And the next morning, he forgets everything after the second pint. He's always up for any adventure, and he's a superb photographer. He rescues my failed attempts at being handy with powertools. He's really smart and knows a lot of obscure information, but he's humble about it and doesn't wave it in people's faces.

My step-dad is ISTP as well, and he's what's known in the UK as 'the salt of the earth' kind of guy. And he can take apart a car engine and put it back together again, which to me is totally awesome. And he puts up with my mom nagging him all the time, and yet still manages to maintain his dignity and independence where most other guys would've by now become hen-pecked wusses.

So, c'mon people, let's give those ISTP's a bit of love and adoration. They'll probably take it a bit better than the INFP's at least!

*actually I've probably got about 5 or 6, but for convenience let's keep it at 2 for now
    In the eyes of the ISTP the ENTP is a bit of a romantic.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    He's a grouchy, pedantic bastard, but somehow manages to pull it off in a way that makes you still like him, no matter what, and nothing's quite as much fun without him. He's great when he's drunk - all the stuff he keeps in his head normally just comes out, and it's great fun. And the next morning, he forgets everything after the second pint. He's always up for any adventure, and he's a superb photographer. He rescues my failed attempts at being handy with powertools. He's really smart and knows a lot of obscure information, but he's humble about it and doesn't wave it in people's faces.
    I definitely get grouchy - it's mainly dependent on how much sleep and food I've had...the more I'm lacking, the more grouchy I get! And being woken up before I'm ready to wake up is the worst thing ever.
    Pedantic - it depends on the topic, but I can definitely be that. A lot of the time I just let things go.

I'm loads cooler when I'm drunk. When I'm sober I'm really quite, never know what to say or what people will like. Put a couple of drinks in me and I'm so freaking social... I'll pretty much admit to anything too. I'm one of the types to answer all kinds of questions drunk, but I divert the attention away if I'm sober and it's something I don't want to answer.

Adventures are what I store energy for!!

I keep my knowledge to myself most of the time - even when people say wrong stuff in front of me. I'll correct them if I'm an active part in the conversation or if I'm directly asked for my opinion. Otherwise I usually keep quiet.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    *reads thread*

LOL!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    *reads thread*

yeah- I've never succeeded in blowing anything up! (this is not to say I haven't TRIED!) so this doesn't make you a terrible ISTP!

and I certainly hope you have a better driving record!

MBTI
    ENTJ

I think ISTP's are very cool but they sometimes annoy the hell out of me because of their coldness, lack of friendliness and general disdain for theory.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't TRY to be cold!!!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I think ISTP's are very cool but they sometimes annoy the hell out of me because of their coldness, lack of friendliness and general disdain for theory.
    Like Whatever said... I don't try to be cold either. I guess what others think requires more warmth/feeling is something I'd tell them to get over and not worry about.

Most people have to earn my genuine friendliness. I mean, I'm pleasant around people and I'm usually pretty nice, but more often than not...I just don't give a shit on the inside. (I should probably work on that.)

One thing I've noticed is that it's very hard for me to feel compassionate towards others when they're talking about something I've never been through. My thought process for it is all logical; when I tell them what I think I come of as being totally cold and heartless.
    For instance, take poetry...
    1. The author should come out and tell me what's on their mind. I'm awful at reading between lines and picking up on subtleties.
    2. They're usually referring to something I haven't been through, and even if I have, I'd probably feel entirely different about the whole situation. (i.e. I probably wouldn't care.)

I told one of my friends this and he was in a sort of shock over how incredibly frigid I sound toward other people. I never thought it was that big a deal. I guess it's built in for me to minimize things. I'm also guessing I'll never get an ulcer :p

As far as theory goes... I think it's great that other people can do it because I certainly don't understand most of it. It's definitely interesting, but I suck at it and that makes me not want to talk about it or do it. I like practical applications much better. If I like the application enough, I'll go learn some theory.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    That just means you're not friends. You're missing out, too. ISTPs are one of the best kept, most underrated secrets. Probably because they underrate themselves.