• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Your Manner of Viewing

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you feel you have your own unique way of looking at objects or reality? Typically we're all unique, but does it feel like people frequently don't 'get you'? I'll use a model to help focus the objective of this thread: When you're alone what do you make of what you observe? Where is your head at? Even if you suffer from an illness.

Me, regardless of any emotion, I view the world through...dull eyes. Almost plastic. Not to say depressed vision. It's like I witness the living network of things or the beauty of nature, but I can't form any connection with it and become apathetic. On days when I hone in on it, it drives me nuts and I try to make something happen. Cause a collapse. etc... Friends often find me indirect in my conceptions.

I think it'll be interesting to hear about how you process what you see. Sorry if this is bizarre

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting. Yesterday I was thinking while driving home: It seems like the world is colorless to me. Not gray. Colorless.

I was contemplating on how to introduce some color into my life. No answers yet, though.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
i find beauty in all things

teh green of nature especially :]

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
i find beauty in all things

teh green of nature especially :]

That isn't really the topic at hand, at least, that is not what I was talking about. The color is a metaphor. I haven't found what exactly it is about. Maybe it is detachment, or just introversion.

I wonder if an ENFP would know something about that though, or would it be too obvious for them...

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
My 2 cents: You sound like an introvert dealing with sensory overload. Are you getting enough down time? For me it becomes a sense of being stuck behind my eyes, looking out at the world and not able to communicate.

Just a thought.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People dont generally understand how I view things. I have 2 ways my mind works. One is my concious and the other my subconcious. it is becomeing very apparent what I control and what I dont right now. My concious mind takes in what I see logically tears it apart to find a single internal theory or concept I apply to myself and the people around me. My subconcious mind then takes this and ties it to my past pretty much instantly. I cant control this. Because of this people generally dont have a clue why I feel the way I do. Its not based on what was said, but its based on a past event. This is beyond my control, my feelings are driven subconciously. To get away from this I have to live in the moment and I mean completely in the moment enjoying what is right now. Not dissecting anything, just enjoying the pleasure, the beauty of what is now. Not why, not where it can go, not where it has been, but being immersed comepletely in the moment and enjoying the moment for what it is not how it got there or where it can lead.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm always thinking about why things are happening or why people are doing things and analyzing the reasons behind stuff. Can be people or inanimate objects, but just really about why stuff is done how it is. If I'm talking to you and you are talking a lot, the chances are I'm actually analyzing how you are talking and maybe not listening as much to what you say. (depending on how interesting the topic is)

Someone asked me "what are you thinking" once and I was thinking "I wonder why.." (because they asked I forgot what I was wondering) and they said they never think like that. It's what I always do.

Hard to explain.

phoenity

Do you feel you have your own unique way of looking at objects or reality? Typically we're all unique, but does it feel like people frequently don't 'get you'? I'll use a model to help focus the objective of this thread: When you're alone what do you make of what you observe? Where is your head at? Even if you suffer from an illness.

Me, regardless of any emotion, I view the world through...dull eyes. Almost plastic. Not to say depressed vision. It's like I witness the living network of things or the beauty of nature, but I can't form any connection with it and become apathetic. On days when I hone in on it, it drives me nuts and I try to make something happen. Cause a collapse. etc... Friends often find me indirect in my conceptions.

I think it'll be interesting to hear about how you process what you see. Sorry if this is bizarre

Thinking is my primary function. It's always processing information, if I let it.

Sensing is secondary. It provides the substance, the information that thinking needs.

Ti is detachment from reality. Se is my connection to reality.

Ni is detachment from reality. Fe is my connection to reality.

If I think too much, and don't put enough energy into sensing, I start to become too detached, to the point where I feel alone. In fact, I can spark this feeling by closing my eyes and thinking about the fact that I am this tiny speck of insignificance living in a world so vast it is beyond my comprehension. Too much time here gives me the "dull eyes" where things look colorless, lifeless, and ultimately insignificant, as if I was peering out of a window in my mind, or watching life play like a movie. I start to feel as if I'm not even present, that what I'm seeing with my eyes could be a dream or hallucination. I imagine if I spent too much time in that state, I'd become schizophrenic, disconnected from what is real, forcing my mind to make up it's own reality.

Sensing, using my body, is what brings me back, connects me to all the matter and energy that is connected, and makes me realize again that I am a part of it.

If you feel that you are too detached, too deep in your head, feeling alone and separated, do something that brings you back to what you can feel is real and makes you feel alive.

Something as simple as breathing does this for me. It could be breathing in quiet meditation, or breathing while sprinting down the street.

But regardless, the point is to take some time to pause or turn down the thinking machine, and just do.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People dont generally understand how I view things. I have 2 ways my mind works. One is my concious and the other my subconcious. it is becomeing very apparent what I control and what I dont right now. My concious mind takes in what I see logically tears it apart to find a single internal theory or concept I apply to myself and the people around me. My subconcious mind then takes this and ties it to my past pretty much instantly. I cant control this. Because of this people generally dont have a clue why I feel the way I do. Its not based on what was said, but its based on a past event. This is beyond my control, my feelings are driven subconciously. To get away from this I have to live in the moment and I mean completely in the moment enjoying what is right now. Not dissecting anything, just enjoying the pleasure, the beauty of what is now. Not why, not where it can go, not where it has been, but being immersed comepletely in the moment and enjoying the moment for what it is not how it got there or where it can lead.

Yup. It becomes overwhelming and emotionally draining to be anywhere other than the moment for long periods of time.

For the OP: I don't quite understand what you mean about not forming a connection to it. Is this bothersome to you? Something you want to change? I don't form connections to most things I observe or interact with. Doesn't bother me in the slightest and I've never really questioned why I don't. It's just me. However, I'm capable of honing in on something that I WANT to connect with and doing so. Are you able to connect if you want too?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I think too much, and don't put enough energy into sensing, I start to become too detached, to the point where I feel alone. In fact, I can spark this feeling by closing my eyes and thinking about the fact that I am this tiny speck of insignificance living in a world so vast it is beyond my comprehension. Too much time here gives me the "dull eyes" where things look colorless, lifeless, and ultimately insignificant, as if I was peering out of a window in my mind, or watching life play like a movie. I start to feel as if I'm not even present, that what I'm seeing with my eyes could be a dream or hallucination. Then the delusions start.

Sensing, using my body, is what brings me back, connects me to all the matter and energy that is connected, and makes me realize again that I am a part of it.

If you feel that you are too detached, too deep in your head, feeling alone and separated, do something that brings you back to what you can feel is real and makes you feel alive.

Something as simple as breathing does this for me. It could be breathing in quiet meditation, or breathing while sprinting down the street.

But regardless, the point is to take some time to pause the thinking machine, and just do.

Welcome back, havnt seen you in forever.

To me what happens is that Ti hits overload and things get so logically tied together that my Ni gets all jumbled and I get confused as to what is real and what I incorrectly tied together. I actually want to be alone, but in reality I need people that care about me. I need to be in the moment like I described above. I will find something to force me out of my head. Driving can be one of those things. It forces me out of my head and brings me into the moment. Things that force me to get out of my internal self and into Se. The best ways to do this and the most healthy for me is when it is pleasurable things in life, things that I want, things that I enjoy, things that if I were in my head I would miss.

If you are my escape it means I really enjoy your company. These are the people I want by my side in life. These are the people I need.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
To get a good understanding of anything I have to be able to directly interact with it, otherwise I have a hard time forming a deeper connection with whatever it is that holds my attention. I find beauty in form + function, this applies to interpersonal relationships. I don't find the intangable aspects of the world dull, they just don't hold my attention as long as what is going in in the 'here and now'

phoenity

Welcome back, havnt seen you in forever.

To me what happens is that Ti hits overload and things get so logically tied together that my Ni gets all jumbled and I get confused as to what is real and what I incorrectly tied together. I actually want to be alone, but in reality I need people that care about me. I need to be in the moment like I described above. I will find something to force me out of my head. Driving can be one of those things. It forces me out of my head and brings me into the moment. Things that force me to get out of my internal self and into Se. The best ways to do this and the most healthy for me is when it is pleasurable things in life, things that I want, things that I enjoy, things that if I were in my head I would miss.

If you are my escape it means I really enjoy your company. These are the people I want by my side in life. These are the people I need.

Exactly - it's the combination of Ti and Ni without sufficient extroversion from Se or Fe.

What I keep finding repeatedly is that it's all about balance.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Exactly - it's the combination of Ti and Ni without sufficient extroversion from Se or Fe.

What I keep finding repeatedly is that it's all about balance.

What makes you happy? What makes you smile and laugh?

phoenity

What makes you happy? What makes you smile and laugh?

Many things. The smallest things.

But I have to pay attention to them.

Too much energy being introverted can cause me to be oblivious or ignore things like that.

That's when I know I need to get out backpacking for a weekend, to get back in touch with the little things like that.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There are two ways I see the world. The first is flat, vague, emotional, and without an understanding of depth, like these paintings:

pic442945_md.jpg

comet.jpg

I'd associate it with my right eye, and the perspective of a vain noble from ancient times.

The second one is complex, specific, logical, and has depth, but it seems to strip the object of anything special or colorful, like this:

monticello_wireframe.jpg

wireframe.jpg

I'd associate this one with my left eye, and a modern architect or engineer.

All the other perspectives I can come up with are combinations of these two in some way.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
There are two ways I see the world. The first is flat, vague, emotional, and without an understanding of depth, like these paintings:

well that's the intuiting vs sensing world... that's basically the main idea.

Taizic

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
EII

When I am alone in my own thoughts, everything comes to life in my mind. And if I am walking, everything I touch has life, and it all becomes a story to me. More than just a memory. Things swirl in color, and sights, sounds, smells and visions...my senses all become stronger, to which everything around me makes a noise, and seems to speak. Not quite so literally, but this is life to me. No matter whom I pass by, I love them. I see good in all things. Life is a giant artists board to me. Music is vision. Vision is art. Art is color. I could go on! Maybe it is just a positive out look, but even before, going through Chronic Depression, PTS, and other forms of mental illness....this is always how I just saw life.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
When I am alone in my own thoughts, everything comes to life in my mind. And if I am walking, everything I touch has life, and it all becomes a story to me. More than just a memory. Things swirl in color, and sights, sounds, smells and visions...my senses all become stronger, to which everything around me makes a noise, and seems to speak. Not quite so literally, but this is life to me. No matter whom I pass by, I love them. I see good in all things. Life is a giant artists board to me. Music is vision. Vision is art. Art is color. I could go on! Maybe it is just a positive out look, but even before, going through Chronic Depression, PTS, and other forms of mental illness....this is always how I just saw life.

Does it give you purpose?

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've dealt with adolescent and adult depression for well over a decade, so I can't help but see things in a slightly gray and jaded manner, at least when in a sedentary state. Not sure if being ISTP has anything to do with it in my case.