User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    That's kind of sweet, actually.

It might not be the smartest choice considering all the potential implications, but I can see the value in it.

And speaking of which... why is it that women sometimes cuddle with each other or otherwise touch, but it's rare for men who aren't gay to do the same? Is it the whole sex drive thing? Homophobia?
    I've wondered the same thing. I touch my close girl friends lovingly sometimes (a little too lovingly at times, like a peck on the lips...usually with my ENFP friend, not sexual though...I think ) I am usually inclined to think it's a bit of homophobia...or at least a fear of being seen as weird/gay.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

my esfp friend always hugs me as a way to say hello.
    It's sort of confusing.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    my esfp friend always hugs me as a way to say hello.
    It's sort of confusing.
    Nearly every ESFP I know MUST be greeted with a hug.

Eh. Annoying.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    I also have seen that women who want to cuddle tend to be people I consider a bit more how shall I say, er, a bit more cognizant of her own needs versus the needs of others. Not that the cuddle type isn't interested in helping others, because she is, but she's a bit more interested in having her own intimacy needs met first. I think what I'm saying is the type of woman who wants to cuddle and will cuddle with platonic expectations (flirting at the most), is someone with low/lower Fe. She is not necessarily thinking of the other person and how he is feeling, but more about herself and how good it feels to be embraced.
    I don't agree with this at all. I think it's just a measure of how warm and affectionate the person is. The warmest people I know are also the people most likely to put the comfort of others ahead of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    And speaking of which... why is it that women sometimes cuddle with each other or otherwise touch, but it's rare for men who aren't gay to do the same? Is it the whole sex drive thing? Homophobia?
    Do you think there are many men out there craving man-on-man affection but afraid to express that desire unless they are thought gay?

Men are trained by biology and social conditioning to compete with each other. Women, to cooperate. You do not show affection to your competitors. As a rule.

Also, I just don't think most hetero males find it rewarding in the way that many women seem to.
    Personally, I find any kind of constriction suffocating and panic-inducing. It actually makes me feel aggressive and stressed. (I won't even wear a seat-belt when driving).
    For others, it seems to have the opposite effect.
    The answer must lie in an individual's biochemistry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. I think it's just a measure of how warm and affectionate the person is. The warmest people I know are also the people most likely to put the comfort of others ahead of their own.

Do you think there are many men out there craving man-on-man affection but afraid to express that desire unless they are thought gay?

Men are trained by biology and social conditioning to compete with each other. Women, to cooperate. You do not show affection to your competitors. As a rule.

Also, I just don't think most hetero males find it rewarding in the way that many women seem to.
    Personally, I find any kind of constriction suffocating and panic-inducing. It actually makes me feel aggressive and stressed. (I won't even wear a seat-belt when driving).
    For others, it seems to have the opposite effect.
    The answer must lie in an individual's biochemistry.
    I think in some areas of the world though, this isn't the same. I have mentioned before on a different thread that in Morocco the men are much more touchy feely with each other than in the UK.

They hug, walk down the road holding hands or with their pinky fingers entwined, they also just lie there cuddling at times and it's not seen as homosexual to do so.

I think maybe the fact that it is highly innapropriate to show affection to women with no marriage or religious roles defined, means that they have no choice but to share that kind of affection with their male friends.

Maybe?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I think in some areas of the world though, this isn't the same. I have mentioned before on a different thread that in Morocco the men are much more touchy feely with each other than in the UK.

They hug, walk down the road holding hands or with their pinky fingers entwined, they also just lie there cuddling at times and it's not seen as homosexual to do so.

I think maybe the fact that it is highly innapropriate to show affection to women with no marriage or religious roles defined, means that they have no choice but to share that kind of affection with their male friends.

Maybe?
    That's interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    When men want to cuddle, it's cuz they are hoping sex will result, although if they are a nice guy, they'll accept the cuddle sans sex. Isn't this obvious?
    But a few guys here are actually saying they cuddle with women they don't want sex with, and aren't all to attracted to--all STP men, if I recall correctly. It's odd, because STPs have the playboy/manwhore reputation. Maybe it's undeserved. Or maybe.....
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    XXFP

I speak for myself, but some clarification here is needed.

I like sex. I'll have sex with most females, given the opportunity. <<<Honest.

I like being close to people, especially females. Considering I'm male, I might want to have sex with them, because, duh, I'm a guy. That's what my brain tells me to do - have sex. Often. But I can also cuddle with someone and (drumroll please) not have sex with them. It's not that complicated.

Why? Because it's not sexual, it's intimate. I suppose it's not all that macho or bad-ass to admit to enjoying intimacy, but hey, it's the internet, and it's true.

I dunno WTF you guys are talking about saying the guy "has nothing to gain from it." Uh...aside from feeling good? Having a girl in your arms is having a girl in your arms. Trust me, it's nice.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    SLI

Well, I know that non-commital intimacy is much easier for me to deal with when I'm not worried about a relationship. Maybe some men get frustrated by this intimacy because they're looking for more, but their 'partner' isn't willing to give it to them at the time.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This just wouldn't work for me - I mean, anything more than a warm hug or a kiss on the cheek from/to an opposite-sex friend.

I just think it could be asking for trouble on either side and it is quite likely that someone will end up with hurt feelings, or in a situation they don't want to be in. From my perspective, some people in this thread are coming across rather selfish about this (ie. "I need warm physical contact even if there are no romantic intentions, and if guys misinterpret that, that's their fault.")

If a guy friend started cuddling with me (beyond the aforementioned hug, brief arm around the shoulders or pat on the back if we're sitting together, or kiss on the cheek - the latter usually in the context of saying hi or bye) I would probably be very freaked out and would tend to think he was making a move on me. (I guess I might not be freaked out if I'd been hoping he would make a move!). And I wouldn't initiate that kind of cuddling except with someone I was in a relationship with.

Sorry if that sounds uptight, but I think this "cuddling benefits" idea has more downsides than upsides.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING