User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default ISTPs ego issues

I think most people would probably vote ENTP as generally having the biggest ego to contend with, but meanwhile nobody notices the ISTP because they have gone off by themselves...

I am only speaking for myself here, but I have a lot of ego issues because of always thinking I know the best way to do things when I don't. However, I notice very few people are not intimidated to the point that they would point out my mistakes even though I want them to. When they do, they often communicate these things in such an enigmatic way that I don't even know they're trying to help me or correct me in the first place. This makes me want to try and read between the lines, but honestly I would just rather they be more upfront because that is a more efficient way to communicate and if I was helping them I would try to make it easy to understand by doing the same.

First off, any advice? Am I just doomed to always have to learn everything the hard way 'cause nobody is going to point me in the right direction?

Secondly, I strongly believe the ISTP aka 'individualist extraordinaire' has ego issues that are very deep-seated, making them hard for us to notice before it's too late. any other ISTPs relate to this? how do you keep yourself in check when nobody else is willing to?

I don't know how istp I am, but, If I think I know the right way(most efficient, easiest, etc) to do something its because I really do. The only way to keep your ego in check is to know everything. I would start reading encyclopedias if I were you.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i don't know. i have a pretty dominant ego too. and i don't like to foist it on other people. i am privately egotistical, if that makes sense. so i think you're right, i think it can go unnoticed by other people.

i think the best way to break it down is just to become very communicative, to talk through your solutions with other people. to say "i am going to do this, and here is why i think it's the best solution". and ask them questions until you get definite concrete answers. i know that having to explain why you are doing things the way you are is kind of like a slow death, but if you just go ahead and do it without communication that probably reinforces the "i know best" mentality.
    so my input would be to say communication is important.

although a part of me does think "damn the torpedoes! if my way isn't the best, then people need to speak up. it's not my fault you won't get involved."

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I don't know how istp I am, but, If I think I know the right way(most efficient, easiest, etc) to do something its because I really do. The only way to keep your ego in check is to know everything. I would start reading encyclopedias if I were you.
    i think maybe he is talking about ego meaning self-esteem and your sense of self-worth and pride. instead of in the freudian sense.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i don't know. i have a pretty dominant ego too. and i don't like to foist it on other people. i am privately egotistical, if that makes sense. so i think you're right, i think it can go unnoticed by other people.

i think the best way to break it down is just to become very communicative, to talk through your solutions with other people. to say "i am going to do this, and here is why i think it's the best solution". and ask them questions until you get definite concrete answers. i know that having to explain why you are doing things the way you are is kind of like a slow death, but if you just go ahead and do it without communication that probably reinforces the "i know best" mentality.
    so my input would be to say communication is important.

although a part of me does think "damn the torpedoes! if my way isn't the best, then people need to speak up. it's not my fault you won't get involved."

Your last paragraph makes complete sense to me. I feel like I may have made a mistake but if they didn't put their two cents in - then I've already done more than they have even if I made a mistake. At least I did something, ya know?

Hmm...I'm wondering what you would say the difference between ego and self-esteem is? I think I have a large but hidden ego. Yet, I struggle a lot with my sense of self-worth. It seems contradictory. Maybe it is. I seem to go to extremes with my confidence. Usually my self-doubt comes in when I start to consider other people's opinions of me. Er...Does this make sense to anyone else?

EDIT: I just re-read the OP. "how do you keep yourself in check when nobody else is going to?"

In those instances where you realize after the fact that you didn't utilize the best way possible - do you take that information and learn from it?
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Your last paragraph makes complete sense to me. I feel like I may have made a mistake but if they didn't put their two cents in - then I've already done more than they have even if I made a mistake. At least I did something, ya know?
    honestly, that is my feeling too.

Hmm...I'm wondering what you would say the difference between ego and self-esteem is? I think I have a large but hidden ego. Yet, I struggle a lot with my sense of self-worth. It seems contradictory. Maybe it is. Does this make sense?
    i don't know, how would you describe ego?
    i can see how people can believe in themself strongly and doubt themself strongly at the same time. it's a contradiction, but i think people are contradicting themselves all the time. people are messy. i think someone can believe their way is the best way, or belive strongly in one part of themself but still have serious doubts about themself in other areas.

maybe your ego is your idealistic prideful idea/vision of yourself,
    and your self-esteem is your concrete every-day sense of yourself?

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    +1!

Notice, doing something the best way does not mean doing it flawlessly. People who did not point out your flaw to you probably couldn't see it themselves to begin with. ISTPs tend to be harsh on ourselves, the trick is to find the balance between self-discipline and aptitude.
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    maybe your ego is your idealistic prideful idea/vision of yourself,
    and your self-esteem is your concrete every-day sense of yourself?
    YES!

I could have never explained it like that. So true. Thanks KF!
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    YES!

I could have never explained it like that. So true. Thanks KF!
    I agree also.

My ego is self contained and makes it hard to break out of being a humble person.

To the OP: people may try to correct you, you may just become stubborn and insist your way is right then try and figure out why no one does correct you when you initially thought they were wrong.

I have learned how to correct stuborn people by using there own game on them. My dad is a type 5. The other day he was stubborn on that this X is not an X because it is red instead of black(being vague as it was not on X, but the analogy is dead on). I turned told him to define X and then responded that color is not in the definition of X. He corrected himself, instead of argueing with him.

This normally doesnt show up until my peacemaker role shows up.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    First off, any advice? Am I just doomed to always have to learn everything the hard way 'cause nobody is going to point me in the right direction?

Secondly, I strongly believe the ISTP aka 'individualist extraordinaire' has ego issues that are very deep-seated, making them hard for us to notice before it's too late. any other ISTPs relate to this? how do you keep yourself in check when nobody else is willing to?
    If ye give off the impression that you all ready know what you're doing, others are probably less likely to give off the cuff remarks and advice.

Perhaps, when you think you know the best way to do something (be it in work, relationships, etc)... purposefully seek out the thoughts of someone whose intelligence & opinion you trust when it's something that might benefit from an outside persepective?

"What do you think?"

Ye'd either have your viewpoint reinforced or a new one introduced, both positive outcomes, ne?