User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 39

  1. #21
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luminous beam View Post
    You're all wrong! Very, very wrong!
    haven't you read the thread? you need a better argument than that, this aint gonna cut it. :yim_rolling_on_the_

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I don't think I'm better than others but I know I can do a lot of things better than others Confidence or ego? I'd say it's a fine line. But instead of talking about it - I show it. So it doesn't come off as arrogance. Sometimes I'll say something off the cuff about something I did and realize I said too much - like my inner ego comes out in a quick sentence and it sounds...conceited (ugh) I hate that! Then I'm kind of disgusted with myself for a minute.

    The last few posters I can really relate to all of what they say. Pretty accurate and it's interesting to see what others (ENFP's here) see these things as.
    I am the same way. I suck at interviews because I externally question what I can do, but inside I know I can take on the world and accomplish anything. I just have to wait for something to take on and accomplish worth while.

  3. #23
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    I'd say ISTPs don't have an ego (and you are absolutely correct on ENTPs having a gargantuan ego, we just don't realize it). However, the ISTPs I know are cocky as all hell - they truly don't believe there's a challenge that they can't figure out how to conquer. That's a good thing, however - they never back down from a challenge.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I'd say ISTPs don't have an ego (and you are absolutely correct on ENTPs having a gargantuan ego, we just don't realize it). However, the ISTPs I know are cocky as all hell - they truly don't believe there's a challenge that they can't figure out how to conquer. That's a good thing, however - they never back down from a challenge.
    I pick and choose what I back down on, but I dont think I am cocky as hell. I can be, but generally IRL I am far from cocky I think.

    edit: give me enough time an I will reverse engineer MBTI and prove that the functions are accurate, the descriptions is what cause all the problems. The drive, the people in my life that I have a desire to help them be happy, in the process they are helping me learn more about what I need and want to be happy. Reverse engineering is what I am good at.

  5. #25
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I'd say ISTPs don't have an ego (and you are absolutely correct on ENTPs having a gargantuan ego, we just don't realize it). However, the ISTPs I know are cocky as all hell - they truly don't believe there's a challenge that they can't figure out how to conquer. That's a good thing, however - they never back down from a challenge.
    ENTP's don't realize they have a big ego??!!

    I've known a couple ENTP's (one for over half my life) and they are their own biggest fans.

    EDIT: I love em' tho!
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  6. #26
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    I can't speak for ISTPs, but as one of their extroverted cousins, I can say that there is truth in a "STP" ego complex of some capacity.

    My ego is commensurate with my abilities. I don't say or do anything that I can't back up. Some people have a problem with those of us who live this way, but I don't lose sleep over that.

    I'd be interested to see an ISTP ego in action. I'm such their reasoning/method of arguing/etc. is very similar to that of an ESTP, but I suspect their implementation of it is indeed different. ESTPs can be a little over the top. Oopsy! :yim_rolling_on_the_

  7. #27
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    ENTP's don't realize they have a big ego??!!

    I've known a couple ENTP's (one for over half my life) and they are their own biggest fans.

    EDIT: I love em' tho!
    We think our extreme self-confidence is normal. Commensurate with this, we think that self-doubt is really weird.

    I know, even more egotastic.

    I think that's what amuses ISTPs about us - they're willing to call us on our bullshit, but not think any worse of us for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I can't speak for ISTPs, but as one of their extroverted cousins, I can say that there is truth in a "STP" ego complex of some capacity.

    My ego is commensurate with my abilities. I don't say or do anything that I can't back up. Some people have a problem with those of us who live this way, but I don't lose sleep over that.

    I'd be interested to see an ISTP ego in action. I'm such their reasoning/method of arguing/etc. is very similar to that of an ESTP, but I suspect their implementation of it is indeed different. ESTPs can be a little over the top. Oopsy! :yim_rolling_on_the_
    It is very similar, if only a little more detailed - one of my best buddies who is the epitome of ISTP has never said an illogical statement that I can remember. He's really good at painting a concrete picture with his speech, displaying a natural acuity for the outside world. They're really, really good at exploring the practical aspects of philosophy - liking the logical aspects of it, but firmly in the real world. Quite honestly, they're some of the most interesting people on the planet.

    Meanwhile, any sort of discussion with my ESTP buddies inevitably descends into a morass of crude jokes and double entendres - we really can't help ourselves.

  8. #28
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I pick and choose what I back down on, but I dont think I am cocky as hell. I can be, but generally IRL I am far from cocky I think.

    edit: give me enough time an I will reverse engineer MBTI and prove that the functions are accurate, the descriptions is what cause all the problems. The drive, the people in my life that I have a desire to help them be happy, in the process they are helping me learn more about what I need and want to be happy. Reverse engineering is what I am good at.
    I guess what I was more getting at is the following.

    We're sitting on a porch out in the mountains. I see a ridge a reasonable distance away. It's climbable, if difficult and somewhat dangerous. I tell you, "hey, I bet you can't climb up to the top of the ridge". You've done some rock climbing in your day, and you know you have the required skill level.

    Is there any way you're not on top of that ridge, taunting me with things like "so, you really thought I couldn't get up here, huh?"

  9. #29
    ♪♫♪♫♪♫ luminous beam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post

    I am only speaking for myself here, but I have a lot of ego issues because of always thinking I know the best way to do things when I don't. However, I notice very few people are not intimidated to the point that they would point out my mistakes even though I want them to. When they do, they often communicate these things in such an enigmatic way that I don't even know they're trying to help me or correct me in the first place.
    define enigmatic, how are "these ppl" communicating things "enigmatically?"

    This makes me want to try and read between the lines, but honestly I would just rather they be more upfront because that is a more efficient way to communicate and if I was helping them I would try to make it easy to understand by doing the same.
    honestly, how silly, stupid or stubborn would someone need to make you feel in order for you to drop what or how you're doing things and do them the new way?

    First off, any advice? Am I just doomed to always have to learn everything the hard way 'cause nobody is going to point me in the right direction?
    this is a prime example of egotistic language. i suggest you tell the friends or people you'd like upfront and genuine opinions/advice from that you're looking for just that.

    Secondly, I strongly believe the ISTP aka 'individualist extraordinaire' has ego issues that are very deep-seated, making them hard for us to notice before it's too late. any other ISTPs relate to this? how do you keep yourself in check when nobody else is willing to?
    yes @ deep seated issues, it's cuz you guys detach emotionally usually. if you don't confront emotions head on some negative ones can fester and backfire in many different ways creating anger, denial, self absorption, resentment, indifference, etc


  10. #30
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luminous beam View Post
    define enigmatic, how are "these ppl" communicating things "enigmatically?"
    most often people just assume everyone sees things the way they see them, so they leave a lot of blanks. I know what they're saying, but if I explain myself then I am not encouraging them to check their own ideas systematically or speak clearly and to the point. even if i chose to explain it to them, they arent usually willing to listen because by that point they are frustrated by the miscommunication.

    Quote Originally Posted by luminous beam View Post
    honestly, how silly, stupid or stubborn would someone need to make you feel in order for you to drop what or how you're doing things and do them the new way?
    it's not about how I feel, it's about trying to reach a solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by luminous beam View Post
    this is a prime example of egotistic language. i suggest you tell the friends or people you'd like upfront and genuine opinions/advice from that you're looking for just that.
    I have told them that, they still won't and it's not like I can beat it out of them. seems like they refuse to consider that people might genuinely want to help them and to not take things personally, so they assume I am going to respond negatively if they point out my flaws (I never have). When I give them advice, they assume I am pushing them around and get defensive--again, untrue, I want them to be responsible for their own choices and simply supply them with methods or information that were helpful to me in a similar situation. how we perceive ourselves plays a big part in communication, because we analyze the actions of everyone we interact with through the predisposition of our own thinking. at least, im finding this is the cornerstone of my communication issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by luminous beam View Post
    yes @ deep seated issues, it's cuz you guys detach emotionally usually. if you don't confront emotions head on some negative ones can fester and backfire in many different ways creating anger, denial, self absorption, resentment, indifference, etc
    that really depends on whether someone has come to terms with the emotion and places it aside, or ignores it. because we can detach, it is easy for us to ignore emotions which come back to bite us later, but that is not to say we couldn't have a bit of emotional discernment and simply see why certain feelings make sense or not

    with ISTPs, I am guessing the big misunderstanding is that we experience the entire spectrum of emotion... when what we think is probably much simpler, much more practical than that, so much so that few people would guess it.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] ISTP Sites
    By sassafrassquatch in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
  2. [ISTP] ISTP description for hiddenpsyche
    By meanlittlechimp in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
  3. [ISTP] ISTPs & trust issues...
    By toast in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 11:53 PM
  4. [ISTP] My current issue with my ISTP friend
    By Coeur in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 01:13 AM
  5. [ISTP] Question for ISTPs on a painful/awkward issue...
    By anii in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO