• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP Crazy Driving Stories/Behavior?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Just curious to hear some other people's stories as to things they've done/do, and I figure SP's are pretty likely to be the ones to do...um, "abnormal" things.

I'll start off with some of my own:

1. Traffic in my area backs up about 15-20 minutes on this one main road, there happens to be an old path (was removed from maps in the 60s)/utility line that runs more directly, and you technically aren't supposed to drive on.... It's a combination of rutted gravel, and dirt, and has a river crossing (but the river only 5 or 6 inches deep unless there's been a big storm). Anyway, *someone* cut the chains blocking access to it, and now I sleep 20 minutes later in the morning before school. People always look shocked to see a Mazda Tribute popping out of the woods spitting gravel and dripping water. :D

2. A multi-car accident is happening in front of me on the highway, in a snowstorm. Instead of hitting the brakes, I accelerate it, shocking (and scaring to death) my girlfriend. The reasoning? I saw where a gap was going to be in the sliding/crashing cars (when cars have no grip, and you spend far too long a day in a physics class, you eventually learn how stuff moves), and wanted to make sure I'd make it through. If I braked, I figured I'd just get hit because people were following too closely.

3. Not exactly driving, but hey...while riding a bike, going about 30 miles an hour down a big hill, the rear brake fails. (at the bottom of said hill is a 4 lane highway). I see a driveway I can go down and onto a lawn......then nail the front brake, and flip the bike, somehow rolling with just a cut on my arm, as the bike proceeds to continue flipping until it hits a tree at the edge of the lawn.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
1. Traffic in my area backs up about 15-20 minutes on this one main road, there happens to be an old path (was removed from maps in the 60s)/utility line that runs more directly, and you technically aren't supposed to drive on.... It's a combination of rutted gravel, and dirt, and has a river crossing (but the river only 5 or 6 inches deep unless there's been a big storm). Anyway, *someone* cut the chains blocking access to it, and now I sleep 20 minutes later in the morning before school. People always look shocked to see a Mazda Tribute popping out of the woods spitting gravel and dripping water. :D

Fun.

2. A multi-car accident is happening in front of me on the highway, in a snowstorm. Instead of hitting the brakes, I accelerate it, shocking (and scaring to death) my girlfriend. The reasoning? I saw where a gap was going to be in the sliding/crashing cars (when cars have no grip, and you spend far too long a day in a physics class, you eventually learn how stuff moves), and wanted to make sure I'd make it through. If I braked, I figured I'd just get hit because people were following too closely.

Fun. I always think using the accelerator is an important part of defensive driving. I don't know why people think otherwise, except that they use the brake as the "comfort pedal".

I was coming up on a turn in the snow and I realized that I couldn't brake in time to make the turn (well...I was just screwing around really) so decided to try out a "scandinavian flick". It wasn't really a WRC racing moment, but I understood the physics behind it. Steer opposite and then into the turn, induce more oversteer than understeer (but a little of both) and ease off and on the throttle (rear drive car) to pull out of turn. Clean!

Some lady shoveling snow gave me the finger.

3. Not exactly driving, but hey...while riding a bike, going about 30 miles an hour down a big hill, the rear brake fails. (at the bottom of said hill is a 4 lane highway). I see a driveway I can go down and onto a lawn......then nail the front brake, and flip the bike, somehow rolling with just a cut on my arm, as the bike proceeds to continue flipping until it hits a tree at the edge of the lawn.

Just use the front brake all the time. I mountain bike and use my front brake as my main brake 80% of the time... It works better. Lean back. The rear brake is useful in some turns, but I use it much less than the front.

Oh, and read this if you like physics and want to be a better biker:
Countersteering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Just use the front brake all the time. I mountain bike and use my front brake as my main brake 80% of the time... It works better. Lean back. The rear brake is useful in some turns, but I use it much less than the front.

Oh, and read this if you like physics and want to be a better biker:
Countersteering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, definitely. I happen to be a mountain biker myself, and I've done some bike tours (Burlington, VT to Boston, MA in 2 weeks, with a hike up Mt. Washington and overnight stay at the AMC hut in it as well). I just told the interesting part of the story. Backstory is: It wasn't my bike, it was a friend's bike that I was borrowing so we could get somewhere (I was 15). Me being the idiot I am, didn't check the brakes ahead of time, rear brake turned out not to work, and the front brake setup was rusted and messed up so that it only was either off, or locked in position, so I quickly figured out after having tried to just slow down my speed leaning way back and still almost having a crash, that I was screwed, and worked with what I had. I decided to opt for the flip, as I'm decent enough at parkour-y stuff (more accurately, I know how to roll on landing), and the other option of trying again and potentially unexpectedly crashing onto hard pavement, wasn't so appealing as the "intentional" flip on something less likely to remove all of my skin. I learned to check equipment more carefully before using it after that little adventure.

ESTPgirl

MBTI Type
estp
Enneagram
7w8
Started racing cars as a teenager and will always love the thrill and adrenaline.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Others would disagree, but I think I drive pretty good. If I cut you off dont worry, my truck is in the process of downshifting so I can put an adequate distance between us, safety first you know.

I am a lot better at driving then I used to be, oh and I drive alot more PC these days and follow the laws, or atleast dont break them to much.

Started racing cars as a teenager and will always love the thrill and adrenaline.

I have street raced a time or two, but its really to dangerous. You tend to focus on the car your racing way to much instead of actually getting from point A to point B the fastest. Any focus towards to the other car is taken from the road.

ESTPgirl

MBTI Type
estp
Enneagram
7w8
I have street raced a time or two, but its really to dangerous. You tend to focus on the car your racing way to much instead of actually getting from point A to point B the fastest. Any focus towards to the other car is taken from the road.

I take it to the track. Burying friends is enough reason to refrain from the temptation, as I don't want to make my friends bury me.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I was in an accident once, my buddy driving on an open highway at about 180 km/h. 4 buddies in the car he kept paying attention to the radio instead of the road. Some car came near him he quickly jerked the wheel the car lost control into a ditch to the left of us. We rolled about 4 times, the car ended up flat upside down as we had to crawl out of the broken windows. My side was dented in completely i landed on my head and received a concussion with staples to stitch up the wound. Luckily it was a 1980 something marcedes benz the car was engineered like a cage so it wouldn't impact on itself upside down.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
Idk if I have any driving stories, but I get shit like this written on my Facebook wall:

"Likewise! Although I must say your driving had me a little white-knuckled... :)"

I like to drive fast and I like to accelerate hard, but I tend to avoid excessive maneuvering. I drive a Jeep Liberty and I'm not keen on flipping this top heavy POS. It is nice in regards to the amount of abuse the suspension can take though! :D

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Oh, definitely. I happen to be a mountain biker myself, and I've done some bike tours (Burlington, VT to Boston, MA in 2 weeks, with a hike up Mt. Washington and overnight stay at the AMC hut in it as well). I just told the interesting part of the story. Backstory is: It wasn't my bike, it was a friend's bike that I was borrowing so we could get somewhere (I was 15). Me being the idiot I am, didn't check the brakes ahead of time, rear brake turned out not to work, and the front brake setup was rusted and messed up so that it only was either off, or locked in position, so I quickly figured out after having tried to just slow down my speed leaning way back and still almost having a crash, that I was screwed, and worked with what I had. I decided to opt for the flip, as I'm decent enough at parkour-y stuff (more accurately, I know how to roll on landing), and the other option of trying again and potentially unexpectedly crashing onto hard pavement, wasn't so appealing as the "intentional" flip on something less likely to remove all of my skin. I learned to check equipment more carefully before using it after that little adventure.

Oh sweet. And knowing how to roll on the landing is super useful for MTB, because then you don't break your collar bone doing what is instinctive: sticking your arms straight out to brace yourself on a fall.

I was in an accident once, my buddy driving on an open highway at about 180 km/h. 4 buddies in the car he kept paying attention to the radio instead of the road. Some car came near him he quickly jerked the wheel the car lost control into a ditch to the left of us. We rolled about 4 times, the car ended up flat upside down as we had to crawl out of the broken windows. My side was dented in completely i landed on my head and received a concussion with staples to stitch up the wound. Luckily it was a 1980 something marcedes benz the car was engineered like a cage so it wouldn't impact on itself upside down.

Bummer.

But to really describe it best, the way I drive can be described as "aggressive soccer mom." I'm not a jerk driver, I just move quick.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Crazy driving story eh?

I was riding to the mall with a friend on the interstate, when the car up ahead put on
brakes, and my friend was worrying because their brakes sucked at the moment.

I told them to speed up instead, which they resisted...so I took my left foot and stomped
on their foot to force the pedal down.

We hit the car that was breaking faster than it was moving and bounced off.

Not a scratch to be found on either car, we all drove on after stopping to check it out.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was driving south on I-45, bringing my brother to visit from Dallas, and the roads were icy. I spun off the road twice, one time we spun completely around and faced back towards traffic. Then I nearly got run off a bridge by a truck a few minutes later.

I dunno how crazy it is, but I used to go driving nearly every weekend without any idea where I was going or where I'd end up. One time I went East on Texas Highway 21, and at some point I looked at the map and realized that I was near Farm Road 1. I had driven on Farm Roads 2, 3, 4, and 5 I think, but never on 1. It's actually quite long for a Farm Road, but I drove the entire length of it, it both starts and ends on Highway 21. When I got to the end and had to turn on 21 again, I was going to turn right and head back West towards home when I saw that the sign said "State Line - 7" with an arrow pointing left, meaning it was only 7 miles East to the border with Louisiana. By this point, that means I had driven probably at least 250 miles from home, but I was like "i can't be this close to the border and not go!" So I went East and saw the end of Texas 21, it goes on a bridge across the Sabine River, and I got there like right as sunset was hitting the water and it was possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. As soon as I crossed the border into LA, I turned around and came right back, heading West for home, but I was so glad I did that, because I didn't know if I'd ever get the chance again. :)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like taking curves that are advised to be taken at 25 MPH at 50, and accelerating out of them. I also just like to go as fast as possible if I know that there aren't any cops, it's exhilarating. I don't have any particular experiences though.

KDude

My last great "driving" moment .. wasn't "driving" really. Just a nice Starsky and Hutch spin. Me and a friend were leaving a bar, got into my car in the back alley, and as I was flipping through my ipod, preparing to back out, some kid came walking around the corner with a big shiny gun pointed at my windshield. I was close to just gunning forward instead and smashing him against the wall.. but I went reverse and spun around perfectly in a really tight building complex... He must have been impressed, because he didn't fire a shot as we left.

Probably not a good story. Kinda hard to explain the surroundings. :p

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like taking curves that are advised to be taken at 25 MPH at 50, and accelerating out of them. I also just like to go as fast as possible if I know that there aren't any cops, it's exhilarating. I don't have any particular experiences though.

I got dinged in drivers ed because of this. It was a prety funny response from a drivers ed teacher. He said "You were going alot faster then the recomended speed, but seemed to handle that turn really good". It was like a "I am supposed to tell you to slow down, but you seem like you know what your doing."

KDude

^ Kind of similar experience in driver's ed heh

As for curves.. I know why the speed limits are set as they are. If you play by the rules, it's correct amount of force and speed, etc.. I always wondered if there's actually a guy who tests out roads to recommend speed limits. It always seems just "right". Are they calculating it or testing it? hmm

One of my cheap thrills for speeding them was doing it on LSD (don't do it now, don't worry) and packing my car with friends.. Yes, we were bored. But it was the closest thing to a rollercoaster at 2 AM. There was a big overpass in particular near where I grew up I liked speeding on. I have no f'in clue why my friends liked it or trusted me though.

*sigh* I don't do any of this anymore really. I think I've compensated with video games.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Kind of similar experience in driver's ed heh

As for curves.. I know why the speed limits are set as they are. If you play by the rules, it's correct amount of force and speed, etc.. I always wondered if there's actually a guy who tests out roads to recommend speed limits. It always seems just "right". Are they calculating it or testing it? hmm

One of my cheap thrills for speeding them was doing it on LSD (don't do it now, don't worry) and packing my car with friends.. Yes, we were bored. But it was the closest thing to a rollercoaster at 2 AM. There was a big overpass in particular near where I grew up I liked speeding on. I have no f'in clue why my friends liked it or trusted me though.

*sigh* I don't do any of this anymore really. I think I've compensated with video games.

I always figure it was like everything else, lets go by the lowest common denominator and then cut it in half. I mean I can take those 25MPH turns at 50 in a minivan. The only thing I worry about is other cars on the road. Of course my EJ father in law responded in the same fashion as the drivers ed teacher. It was his minivan and the roads were slightly wet which caused me to be alot more cautious in my pushing the limit:devil:

I stopped in regards to the going over 80-85 MPH and a few other things like taking sidewalks, medians, not waiting for exits and just cutting across the grass, but still like to take turns fast and pushing the physical limits of things.