• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs and birthdays

whynot?

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w5
Hey everybody, new ISTP member here.
It was my birthday recently and I was just wondering how other ISTPs feel about birthdays.

I don't generally make a big deal about my birthday. On the day of my birthday I woke and saw that I got a texts from friends saying happy birthday and I remember thinking 'oh yeah it is my birthday'. My ENFP friend on the other hand, starts a count down when hers is a month away. She was more excited about mine than I was.
I remembered feeling so conflicted the whole day. I was happy people sent birthday wishes but it I found it bothersome to have to reply back. I was happy when I got presents but I hated having to fake appreciation, not that I didnt appreciate the presents, but it feels fake to me to have make this big production when recieving presents. I felt like I should organize a party or something but who would come except my few close friends. Besides all the attention would be on me, which I know I'd would be uncomfortable with, but really I do want attention.
I ended up inviting my close friends to a nightclub, typical of an ISTP, I put of deciding what to do until the day before, so some of my friends couldnt make it cause they already had plans. My other friend was mad at me cause I didnt invite her. I see her as just an acquaitance but apparently we are more than that. Another ISTP trait.
So consequently Ive come to dread my birthday. I'm just glad when its over. How does the rest of yall feel about birthdays?

(dont even get me started on Christmas, cause I dread that to)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As long as the people I am closest to wish me a happy birthday I am good to go. Nothing else is really needed. I do enjoy a cake though, I will never pass up food. If you forget and tell me later its all good, my memory sucks so I dont expect any one elses to be any better. I dread the phone calls because people call you who you really have nothing to talk about and its just awkward after the initial happy birthday.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
the ISTPs i know seem to just want others to simply remember their birthday- to wish them a happy birthday, and that's it. that means enough to them.

they definitely don't seem the type to expect a huge party. small gatherings with close friends, if sincere and simple, are ok. though i think they tend to shy away from birthday festivities in general, maybe because they prefer to be seen as no-frills people that aren't made to fuss over. big publicised parties can be awkward for them, especially if they feel on the spot. they want on the down low type stuff.

i like ISTPs.

i do suspect they secretly want more attention than they'll readily seek most times, though. -sometimes you just have to give it anyway, knowing that they'll never quite own up to loving it :cheese:

(i know an older ISTP man that pretends not to care about this sort of thing, but i know for a fact he keeps the birthday cards we give him!)

ISTPs - secret sentimentalists?
(you guys will probably hate me for this post)

slant

MBTI Type
TOTO
In the USA, once you're 35, age doesn't really matter again for 30 more years until you're eligble for retirement.

I actually am surprised when people remember my birthday because I don't do the 'one week ahead' thing, I don't expect presents from people, and I in no way expect a birthday party. I haven't had one for years. I just don't care too much about age, the only thing that is important is the legal rights attached to age.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
As a kid I used to look forward to my birthday (naturally) but recently it has been less and less of a production. My most recent birthday I didn't do much of anything, just relaxed and talked to my family and a few of my close friends.

tetsuwanatom

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
As a kid I used to look forward to my birthday (naturally) but recently it has been less and less of a production. My most recent birthday I didn't do much of anything, just relaxed and talked to my family and a few of my close friends.

i usually dont bother to do anything....... out of pure laziness unless I am particularly inspired that day.... and the Se-part of me tells me any day can be a "birthday"!!!
Although like everyone else, the usual things happen, i.e. presents, going out...

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My ISTP friend organized his 18th birthday celebration last minute [on the day]. As a result, very few people were able to come. I was his only non-family member there. I know that he appreciated it deep down, even if he didn't say anything. :)

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
I need alone time on my birthday, maybe some family. No parties...hate them.

And presents are not required...I hate when people give me expensive gifts.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread made me laugh. It's like a silly thing that people can't comprehend sometimes about us. I have a love hate relationship with "attention." I think I want it, then when I get it, I get all flustered and uncomfortable and wish I could have just remained under the radar. So I don't really want it... or do I? And then I just shrug and say, "Eh... I'll just go with whatever." And yeah, Poki, phone calls are the worst. I always stare at my phone when some random acquaintance or distant relative calls for a few minutes (.... till the last ring *Ahem*) so I can have an internal battle over whether or not I should pick up. God. I wish I could pick and choose which people remembered my birthday. Cuz sure I want it to be remembered... but awkward conversations are taxing.

I was actually in the E.R. on my birthday for appendicitis. Kinda sucked, I guess, but it was almost a blessing in disguise... haha.... The little comments I got on Facebook were perfect. Just write on my wall, and let me do a group "Thanks, everyone!" so I can be done with it. :p It was honestly just right (as weird as it sounds) cuz I was supposed to go see my boyfriend in NYC and instead he came to see me in the hospital. Minus the sappy part, I was glad to be around him, my sis, my mom (who also came to visit) and my closest friends. That's good enough for me

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
the ISTPs i know seem to just want others to simply remember their birthday- to wish them a happy birthday, and that's it. that means enough to them.

they definitely don't seem the type to expect a huge party. small gatherings with close friends, if sincere and simple, are ok. though i think they tend to shy away from birthday festivities in general, maybe because they prefer to be seen as no-frills people that aren't made to fuss over. big publicised parties can be awkward for them, especially if they feel on the spot. they want on the down low type stuff.

i like ISTPs.

i do suspect they secretly want more attention than they'll readily seek most times, though. -sometimes you just have to give it anyway, knowing that they'll never quite own up to loving it :cheese:

(i know an older ISTP man that pretends not to care about this sort of thing, but i know for a fact he keeps the birthday cards we give him!)

Can't argue with this post. :)

I'm also guilty of keeping b'day cards.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I need alone time on my birthday, maybe some family. No parties...hate them.

And presents are not required...I hate when people give me expensive gifts.

My dad takes the concept of the birthday being a personal holiday quite seriously. He makes sure his schedule is clear from the day before till the day after and disappears from society for those three days.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
This happens every birthday:
Me: Oh man, it's my birthday, guess I should do something... how about hang out with someone? Yeah, let's do that.
*I do*
People: Oh man that was awesome, Oh Wait, it's your birthday! I totally forgot!
Me: Nah, it's OK
Then I go and open letters and fish for the money, leaving the cards which I may or may not read.

The good thing about my birthday is that it's in the summer so I don't have to sit around people I generally hate and have each one sing "Happy Birthday" to me.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
This thread made me laugh. It's like a silly thing that people can't comprehend sometimes about us. I have a love hate relationship with "attention." I think I want it, then when I get it, I get all flustered and uncomfortable and wish I could have just remained under the radar. So I don't really want it... or do I? And then I just shrug and say, "Eh... I'll just go with whatever." And yeah, Poki, phone calls are the worst. I always stare at my phone when some random acquaintance or distant relative calls for a few minutes (.... till the last ring *Ahem*) so I can have an internal battle over whether or not I should pick up. God. I wish I could pick and choose which people remembered my birthday. Cuz sure I want it to be remembered... but awkward conversations are taxing.

I was actually in the E.R. on my birthday for appendicitis. Kinda sucked, I guess, but it was almost a blessing in disguise... haha.... The little comments I got on Facebook were perfect. Just write on my wall, and let me do a group "Thanks, everyone!" so I can be done with it. :p It was honestly just right (as weird as it sounds) cuz I was supposed to go see my boyfriend in NYC and instead he came to see me in the hospital. Minus the sappy part, I was glad to be around him, my sis, my mom (who also came to visit) and my closest friends. That's good enough for me

This sounds exactly like my ISTP BFF. It is hard to know what to do cause it's like... she downplays wanting to be celebrated so much that sometimes I'm like... does she not want it at all? That cannot be so! I don't want to make her uncomfortable...

Her bday is in a month. I think I'm going to send her a Cheesecake. Hahaha.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds exactly like my ISTP BFF. It is hard to know what to do cause it's like... she downplays wanting to be celebrated so much that sometimes I'm like... does she not want it at all? That cannot be so! I don't want to make her uncomfortable...

:nice: As Poki said, we like food! Mmm... cheesecake... :drool:
Oh... and don't worry. We might get all embarassed, but it still means a lot coming from close friends :)

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
Ya, I get more excited for other people's birthdays than my own. The Facebook wall posts satisfy me enough.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

No hate! I keep cards like that too :) No one really gives out birthday cards anymore, tho :(

My ISTP friend organized his 18th birthday celebration last minute [on the day]. As a result, very few people were able to come. I was his only non-family member there. I know that he appreciated it deep down, even if he didn't say anything. :)

True! :D You'd be amazed at what just an invitation to an event might mean to an ISTP, as well.

At most I'd plan a week ahead of time. If I plan any sooner, I feel like I have to deliver more during the party and make it a great time for everyone... D:

:nice: As Poki said, we like food! Mmm... cheesecake... :drool:
Oh... and don't worry. We might get all embarassed, but it still means a lot coming from close friends :)

Food is DEFINITELY the way to go!!!! Quite honestly, that's the way to my heart...y'know, if I had one ;)
It's best food when it's from a good friend too.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
You'd be amazed at what just an invitation to an event might mean to an ISTP, as well.

Ooo yes. My ISTP friend has a thing about being invited to stuff and takes it REALLY personally if she is not invited. Also takes it personally if *I* am not invited to stuff (protective in this way). Seems to be highly offensive... like moreso than to me even. And, I like being invited. Ha.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ooo yes. My ISTP friend has a thing about being invited to stuff and takes it REALLY personally if she is not invited. Also takes it personally if *I* am not invited to stuff (protective in this way). Seems to be highly offensive... like moreso than to me even. And, I like being invited. Ha.

My thing is that I HATE inviting myself to stuff. I feel so weird doing that. I mean, there's a reason they didn't invite me, right? They don't want me there! Duh! Obviously that's the only possible conclusion ever :p
Even if that's not the reason...I'd like to make up my own mind about going, thank you very much!

Oh, and given the level of friendship... If I'm invited to something, a couple other people might be auto-invited (like my ESTP bff).