12 Last

Thread: SPs and stress

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default SPs and stress

Hi, SPs:

How much of a problem is stress in your life?

Is it that you don't "let" stress affect you as much as some other people would?

How do you handle it when you do get stressed?

Etc.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

i just wrote a long reply... then i accidentally closed the window.
    now i cant be bothered to type anymore cos i wanna sleeeeeeeeep.

but the gist of it:
    1) stress? big problem

2) no, people in my inner circle usually know im stressed (before i do), people outside this circle just think i am as i always am (since i can be quite elusive or be all Se on new "extraverted" elements, uh... i mean people).
    however i am probably not as self-aware that i am stressed compared to other type, until it is rly very bad---hence the probable misconception that SPs don't "let" stress affect them.

3) the bad way:
    using Se to surround myself w familar things so i can be cocooned and not have to grow or face conflict; using Ni to repackage the conflict into a bigger institutional evil that is trying to curtail my freedom to do/be/become

the good way:
    accepting responsibility for the fact that i am in this shite state.
    looking beyond myself to the outer context and seeing how my actions have affected others or have led me to this situation WITHOUT judging that it's the fault of the outside world, and without going all self-pity on myself.
    usually these two things get me into a positive Se mode where i then just take in information and get a "feel" of my situation in a more objective way.
    Then i take action, lots of action, to resolve the situation thats stressing me out, using a lot of Se to navigate my way through when the situation involves (as it usually does) other people.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I am quite adept at making stress my bitch.

To be quite honest, the way I rip through life probably scares most people, and would be lethal if attempted by others.

Maybe I'm coated with Teflon, but the bottom line is that if life throws me a lemon, I make lemonade (then add vodka). If life throws me a gorilla turd, I turn it into a Snickers bar (and give it to someone else).

This is most likely indicative of many ESTPs. We remain calm under pressure. We have nerves of steel. If something does irk us we think through a few hundred ways to successfully neutralize it and then pick the method that is quickest and most simple in producing the desired result. I've always been this way.

BUT - When stress does sneak up on us, many times it is because we did something stupid to summon it, or we let something slide that mutated into a 450 pound monster with razor sharp teeth, whatever. Then we end up losing our shit and screwing a few things up big time, and once the embarrassment of it all kicks in we quickly get our shite together and regain our composure.

So, in the big picture of things, I handle stress very well. But I am human, and when it does get the better of me it usually sucks, but is short lived.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm under a lot of stress right now so I feel qualified to answer this question.

Here's what happens when I'm stressed:
    - Less patience than usual
    - Headaches
    - Get annoyed easily
    - Neglect aspects of my life that aren't deemed absolutely necessary, such as mowing the lawn, socializing, folding laundry, etc.

Here is what helps to relieve that stress:
    - Exercising
    - Sleeping in
    - Watching movies
    - Exploring

My mode of operation in these times is basically to focus as much energy as possible into the project, until I either fail or succeed. A large portion of the stress, though, comes from the wondering, not knowing, if I'll get it done. In that regard I need to know exactly what's expected, and exactly what will happen if I don't meet expectations.

I have usually succeeded in the past, though, largely due to the sheer amount of energy I can focus into something when it absolutely needs to get done. I'm usually a very methodical, careful, and perfectionistic worker, but when I'm feeling really pressured, like I am now, I'm a fucking fire hose.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

^ good stuff.

Don't forget to rest when you're stressed.

Seriously.

I end up laying out at the pool and recharging, like a lizard in the sun.

After doing that with some regularity (every other day for a week or so) I end up feeling MUCH better.

MBTI
    INTP

Halla, I think you and all the ESTPs on the planet handle stress the same way, by charging at it head-on and smashing it to tiny bits.

There is an ESTP in my research group who makes us introverts all look like pansies.

Edit: you know, I think both ISTPs and ESTPs have the potential to get an amazing amount of work done when pressured, but the ISTP doesn't handle it as well because they think too much about it. They worry too much, whereas the ESTP just puts the pedal to the metal and does their shit.

MBTI
    ISTP

How much of a problem is stress in your life? Not a huge one overall, although in certain moments it feels like it.

Is it that you don't "let" stress affect you as much as some other people would? Hmm, hard to say. It affects me, but I both have the ability to block it out/ignore it, and to channel it into what I need to do. So, yes....it's hard on me, but it doesn't trigger the types of reactions that it does in other people.

In stressful situations, it usually goes like this: A short time of mentally being unable to handle it, then getting down to work, and getting it done, whether it takes me 5 minutes, or working for 10 or 15 hours straight...or longer.

If there's nothing I can do (say, an immediate family member is in for surgery), I rationalize it along the lines of "Whatever happens, happens, worrying isn't going to help", and then stop letting it bother me. And yes, that actually works.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Halla, I think you and all the ESTPs on the planet handle stress the same way, by charging at it head-on and smashing it to tiny bits.
    OK, I laughed like hell reading that! I guess THAT'S what it looks like observing an ESTP resolve stress. Yeah, that's pretty much it, resolve conflict head on. I've been accused of mowing over people/sanctioned processes/customary rules of action/etc. many times. I really don't care. I'm nice about it all, but I refuse to lose. I'm just not good at it. :yim_rolling_on_the

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Edit: you know, I think both ISTPs and ESTPs have the potential to get an amazing amount of work done when pressured, but the ISTP doesn't handle it as well because they think too much about it. They worry too much, whereas the ESTP just puts the pedal to the metal and does their shit.
    I agree with you Rhinosaur. I've wroked with ISTPs and when the shit hit the fan, alot of the time they would say "Well we can fix this if we ______." And then I'm up out of my chair executing steps A, B, and C because (A) I heard what they said and agreed it was a sound solution to the problem, (B) I wanted us all to have time to go out and get a few beers after work, and (C) I really don't care if people get mad at me for doing my job.

Whatever. If you don't want me to be productive, then why did you hire me? Tell me what you need done, not how to do it, and if I have to bend a few rules in the process I promise there will be no evidence. I love my introverted STP brethren, they're good peeps!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Hi, SPs:
    Hi Cim!

ummmmm...27 percent? I dunno how to measure "how much" really. I mean, sometimes more than others I guess.

Is it that you don't "let" stress affect you as much as some other people would?
    I think I worry less than a lot of other people do. This can both lessen stress and increase it depending on the situation!

This is probly the area I have changed the most as I've gotten older. When I was younger, I used to bottle up stress more and kind of retreat from it as much as possible until I completely blew up or broke down crying. As I have matured, I have learned to let things out quicker and thus move on and feel better without dwelling on stuff. I have been known to throw things or yell on occasion, but I very rarely yell AT people.

Etc.
    I'm awesome.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

There isn't much that I can think of that stresses me out. I'm thinking...Some work related issues can stress me out. This usually happens when others are directly involved -negatively- with my ability to do my job correctly.

Romantic relationships can stress me out if I don't know what the other person requires of me or if their actions/expectations of me don't make sense in a logical way.

There have been periods of my life, say 6 months or so, where I have been under great deals of stress.

I mean, some stress can invigorate me. It's not a bad thing. It can light a fire under me. But if something is stressing me out in a very low key way (big stresses can be those invigorating ones) for a long period of time this can really do damage. This is where stress sneaks up on me. I'm quick to shirk off a lot of what "bothers" me. I usually think the annoyance will pass anyway and not try and worry about it. Uh. I'll give an example. It might make it easier to explain.

I was at a job that I despised but the pay was fantastic. I hated going to work. But when the work day was over I stopped thinking about it. Yet slowly this was taking a toll on me. I felt trapped. I was a different person during this time. I began to hate myself. I became very critical and overly sensitive of myself and others. I wasn't having fun with life anymore.

The best way for me to handle stress is through change. If I'm under extreme stress (like my above job example) I need an extreme life change. If it's mundane, then any kind of physical exertion is helpful. I really like taking my bicycle out for a 30-40 mile ride. That stuff really re-energizes me.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance