User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Wow, thanks for the lesson on the difference between the LP and libertarianism as political philosophy. It's actually a really good demonstration of that "thinks they're smarter than the average bear" thing: if someone disagrees with libertarianism, they must not fully understand it. All enlightened, rational people will come around.
    People tend to equate Libertarianism with the LP. It's like saying Republicanism and the Republican Party are the same thing. Common misconception. Not my fault and not my problem.

The LP is a very diverse party with plenty of little subgroups who vote Libertarian for different reasons....but....

The two most visible groups within the LP seem to be the white, southern Protestants who think the RP is too soft and the intellectuals who take Nietzsche and Stirner too seriously. The group I most often come into contact with is the former.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    TOTO

Pristinegirl, I am everywhere, and everywhere is me.

MBTI
    ?

libertarian = NT. "Rational," self-contained, inflexible in the face of reality.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    ... I'd put money on them being overwhelmingly white.
    In my experience they're overwhelmingly white, upper-middle class, and male.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yes, overwhelmingly white just like the US. According to US Census Bureau estimates(circa 2008), 80% of Americans are white. Non-hispanic whites are 66%.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    Yes, overwhelmingly white just like the US. According to US Census Bureau estimates(circa 2008), 80% of Americans are white. Non-hispanic whites are 66%.
    Are you actually going to make the argument that libertarians are a representative cross-section of America? That 34% of Libbies are Hispanic or non-white?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ruthie
    ... I'd put money on them being overwhelmingly white.

Then:

marmalade.sunrise

And then:

Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    What part don't you understand?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was talking politics with a friend (ENTP) and he said that my beliefs sounded libertarian. I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but neither to too much of an extreme.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ?

What part don't you understand?
    Um... how about the part where you use national demographic statistics to justify the argument that libertarians are "overwhelmingly white." I live in Maryland, a fairly diverse state that - like the country - is majority white. Some people live in Utah. That is also a majority white state. Guess using your logic, there's no difference between the demographic make-up of Maryland and Utah since both are, you know, majority white.

If you're going to be nitpicky though, how about this:

The Libertarian Party, or individuals who profess to hold a libertarian philosophy, are significantly less racially diverse than the nation as a whole.

Would you at least agree with that statement?

I agree that the Libertarian Party is less diverse than the Democratic Party.

The problem in the last few pages of this thread is that your talking about the Political Parties and I'm talking about Political Philosophy.

Another problem is that you keep making assumptions about what I believe. You don't know what I believe. All you're doing is taking the popular LP stereotypes and applying it to a non-LP, libertarian individual.

I wasn't nitpicking. All I did was post an estimate by a GO showing that the majority of the population was white. You took that and assumed some more. That was the point of posting it.

Half of this thread should probably be it's own thread. Do you agree?