• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP's

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a friend who I've gotten along pretty darn good with through the years. I always thought he was ENFP, but after spending a lot of time with him lately, I'm realizing that he is ISTP. Do you think this fits?

-(I/E): He's very good with people, makes quick connections, but upon talking to him he explained that he much prefers to work alone or in the company of his wife. Although he is good with people, I'm finding that people really bug him most of the time. He is cordial and people really like him, but has little patience with people.

-(S/N): I thought he was N because he talks a lot about ideas. He always has some new idea of what he wants to do career-wise or how to increase his income, etc. But, he's incredibly good with details and extremely good mechanically and with his hands.

He absolutely abhors routine. What's interesting is when I work with him, I find that he likes talking to me (only because we are friends and get along fairly well), but after a while, I find that he kind of "makes room for himself". I thought it was just him being "busy", but I'm seeing that he wants his space after a while.

At first, I was offended, but now I'm cool with it because I'm the same way. Have all the space you want! I'll be needing some of my own too. He also as an artistic streak.

Does this sound like a possible ISTP? What are some things I should keep in mind to get along with an ISTP, especially being that I'm an INTP? What are absolute do's and don'ts for getting along with this type? We are business partners of sorts, so it's important that we get along. Figured you all might be able to help.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I have a friend who I've gotten along pretty darn good with through the years.

....What are some things I should keep in mind to get along with an ISTP, especially being that I'm an INTP? What are absolute do's and don'ts for getting along with this type? We are business partners of sorts, so it's important that we get along. Figured you all might be able to help.

Could be ISTP, but...
Honestly, if you've gotten along well for years, then just keep doing what you're doing. ENFP, ISTP, whatever, just do your thing it'll work out better if you concentrate on how you know him instead of on a framework.

Give them enough space to work & make sure their usefulness is appreciated. That goes for ISTPs, but also most everyone in a business setting.

But on an entirely non-MBTI note, I know that getting along in business is important, but don't try to force it. The 'buddy boss' can be weird. Be yourself, and be friendly without invading privacy.

My $0.02

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I have a friend who I've gotten along pretty darn good with through the years. I always thought he was ENFP, but after spending a lot of time with him lately, I'm realizing that he is ISTP. Do you think this fits?

Was just glancing over this topic due to having just gotten a friend typed and they showed up as ISTP but... I think there's some flaws in yeur reasoning here =3

-(I/E): He's very good with people, makes quick connections, but upon talking to him he explained that he much prefers to work alone or in the company of his wife. Although he is good with people, I'm finding that people really bug him most of the time. He is cordial and people really like him, but has little patience with people.

I don't have much tollerance for people either, but it doesn't look that way on the surface. I interact quite well with no issues. "People skills" is NOT the same as I/E at all or even a little bit.

I/E is how yeu communicate and understand ideas; an I would be someone who likes to think carefully on a topic to themselves, reasoning it out in their head, then checks the results with the outside world. The E would be someone who would more likely learn by bouncing a large number of potential ideas off people and then thinking about the feedback they received afterwords. Neither of these have anything to do with how often yeu interact with people, but rather, HOW yeu interact with them when yeu do interact with them.

-(S/N): I thought he was N because he talks a lot about ideas. He always has some new idea of what he wants to do career-wise or how to increase his income, etc. But, he's incredibly good with details and extremely good mechanically and with his hands.

I'm great with working with my hands on mechanical projects; things like lego can require as much intuitive understanding of how they go together as it does to actually understand the physical connections. Understanding complex and non-sensory concepts such as oilflow, atomic structure, and so on, can be key essentials towards how well things work togeather, and can't really be easily tested. Sensor would be more along the lines of noticing very small details that would get overlooked, rather than just good at remembering them. Try checking the sensotard thread http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/8573-sensotard-moments.html , and see if any of these match him, if so, he may very well not be a sensor ^^

Not so sure on the rest, but those two kinda stuck out when I saw them, hope that helps!

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well... does he remind you of yourself? One of my best friends/ex is an INTP. We're actually very similar. He's even tested as an ISTP, mostly because he considers himself a very practical, hands-on person... I think that was due to his SJ parents. And a lot of my family members originally thought I was an N. My point being... we can be confused for each other sometimes (even though some may disagree ;) )

It seems like your descriptions could go either way.... Definitely sounds like a P, but after that, I'm not quite sure. Any more info you can spare? And are you familiar with temperament types? Does he display an SP, NT, or NF temperament, or is there anything you can rule out?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being artistic is a good indication of a Sensor type... As to ISTP's if you have a
hobbie or activity in common, outside of the work spectrum...doing that occassionally
helps keep balance and interest.