• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Any other creative SPs tired of all artists, musicians, writers being typed as Ns?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought the idea (at least according to Keirsey, who I've mainly read) was that definitely visual artists and musicians, and a lot of writers, were likely to be SPs. Writing was supposed to be maybe more of an NF thing, but there's no monopoly.

I work in publishing, and I love books and read very widely across a lot of genres. I'd say a lot of poets would be likely to be NFs. I think Keirsey said that INFJs were likely to be skilled at "complex aesthetic writing". But a lot of other writers could easily be SPs or NTs (not so sure about SJs.)

wolfy

awsm
On here? I don't pay much attention to who was typed as what, people will argue till they're blue in the face. Think what you want to think, nobody really knows anyway.

I've got a list of SP in my head and that's where it'll stay.

B

brainheart

Yeah, on here. I know, you are right (about thinking what I want to think, etc). Still, it just kind of irks me, especially when, for example, personality theorists like Keirsey and Thomson consider musicians typically to be ISPs but the lists people put up on here, practically everyone (they hypothesize) is an N. That's all.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, mind you, just pointing something out. And trying to understand where the N mania arises from.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not N mania.

It's simply that people assume creativity = N.
And everyone wants to be seen as creative.

But that is not what iNtuition is.

To be honest, most of the really good musicians I know are all SPs. Why are they good? Because they adapt easily, and they like variety, and they like to play all the time (e.g. unstructured but continual practice), and they like to listen to what others have done and learn how to copy it and then take it someplace new and fun. SPs love to immerse themselves in the experience, and this is great for a live-performance artist.

Same thing with the physical arts (dance, sculpture, painting, etc.)

I think N's usually get handpicked as representative of "artists" simply because their performances are more likely to really veer into something new and different, so they stick out more... they are more likely to transcend the medium and make it something else, whereas the SP artists are more apt to be the best you can be within the bounds of the medium, more than other types find themselves capable of. While I sit around imagining and thinking about art, these guys are actually doing it and so often they can be "better" than the N who is imagining things but not practicing and doing.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I think a lot of SFP artists get labeled as N here. Which is weird to me because some of the best artists I know in real life are ISFPs. ISFPs, in particular, always stuck out to me as one of the most unique and creative types. I think many have a good handle on intuition, which trips some people up when typing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I think a lot of SFP artists get labeled as N here. Which is weird to me because some of the best artists I know in real life are ISFPs. ISFPs, in particular, always stuck out to me as one of the most unique and creative types. I think many have a good handle on intuition, which trips some people up when typing.

Intuition and experience are often similar -- get enough experience under your belt and you can learn to "recognize" patterns and access old ones you've experienced before. It looks like intuition, but intuition is really more of "jumping into space believing you'll be okay" without having been in a similar situation before, whereas experience is "jumping into space knowing you've done similar things or experienced similar things before and they worked, so this'll work too."

(And of course, it's not that clear cut -- people use all their skills, not just exclusively S or exclusively N.)

In any case, if there is anything SPs acquire, it is experience.

ISFP jazz musicians totally rock.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intuition and experience are often similar -- get enough experience under your belt and you can learn to "recognize" patterns and access old ones you've experienced before. It looks like intuition, but intuition is really more of "jumping into space believing you'll be okay" without having been in a similar situation before, whereas experience is "jumping into space knowing you've done similar things or experienced similar things before and they worked, so this'll work too."

The bolded is something the SPs I know do a lot of, probably more than I do.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If you're of any kind of importance or interest, unless you're a complete arse, you're an N.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What you're saying here is really resonating with me... Like, word for word this fits the bill for me. Along with past suspicions and going back and reading the SP temperament and what being utilitarian and non abstract in communication means... I'm being convinced very quickly.

The bolded is something the SPs I know do a lot of, probably more than I do.

I also relate a good bit to this and was coming to this conclusion in my head when I read Jennifer's post. :)

Yay derail.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YES. Look at my Mike Patton thread.

It's my contention that he's an ISTP, and yet even Sensors are showing up saying "lol no he can't be S cause he's smart and creative and self-aware!"

Ridiculous. Half the time you see someone arguing for some celebrity being an N it's based on this bias that Ss can't be smart or talented.

A friend of mine typed her computer programmer mom as ISFP because she doesn't think her mom is smart and thought Ns can't be stupid. Upon meeting this friend's mom it was obvious she was a clear INFP, but noooo, Ss can't be smart and Ns can't be stupid, apparently.

:doh:

Jaguar

Half the time you see someone arguing for some celebrity being an N it's based on this bias that Ss can't be smart or talented.

You started a whole thread making an insane claim that Jay-Z is ENTJ.
The gall of you coming in this thread is astounding.

Rather than you realize Jay-Z and the majority of rapper/hip-hop artists are SP,
you dared to suggest I was racist for disagreeing with your insane suggestion, that Jay-Z was ENTJ.

Just because people refuse to agree with you, doesn't make them racist.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It's not N mania.

It's simply that people assume creativity = N.
And everyone wants to be seen as creative.

But that is not what iNtuition is.

To be honest, most of the really good musicians I know are all SPs. Why are they good? Because they adapt easily, and they like variety, and they like to play all the time (e.g. unstructured but continual practice), and they like to listen to what others have done and learn how to copy it and then take it someplace new and fun. SPs love to immerse themselves in the experience, and this is great for a live-performance artist.

Same thing with the physical arts (dance, sculpture, painting, etc.)

I think N's usually get handpicked as representative of "artists" simply because their performances are more likely to really veer into something new and different, so they stick out more... they are more likely to transcend the medium and make it something else, whereas the SP artists are more apt to be the best you can be within the bounds of the medium, more than other types find themselves capable of. While I sit around imagining and thinking about art, these guys are actually doing it and so often they can be "better" than the N who is imagining things but not practicing and doing.

Exactly this; well-expressed.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, on here. I know, you are right (about thinking what I want to think, etc). Still, it just kind of irks me, especially when, for example, personality theorists like Keirsey and Thomson consider musicians typically to be ISPs but the lists people put up on here, practically everyone (they hypothesize) is an N. That's all.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, mind you, just pointing something out. And trying to understand where the N mania arises from.

I don't get it either. Not that there aren't N artists, because there are plenty, but most of the artistic types I really find compelling are SP's. like Likki Li ( hope I spelled her name right), Stevie Nicks, Sade, Cyndi Lauper, Elvis Presley, ... I think you guys have a way of taking hold of your external environment with a creative hand and turning it into something lovely.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Best artist on the world and definitly ISFP, even met him in person once and had a beer:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX9L802jY7c"].[/YOUTUBE]

Dont let yourself down by dumb people, there are many stereotypes flieing around since the invention of mbti and that's part of why I will never become a fan of the whole thing.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

(And of course, it's not that clear cut -- people use all their skills, not just exclusively S or exclusively N.)

ISFP jazz musicians totally rock.

Hm, I think MBTI tests and some explanations have given the impression that "S" is all about experience - but I wouldn't say that. Se seems to be more about the moment. We SPs tend to forget the past and forego experience for new experiences we've never had before. In fact, I'd probly say that most artists who venture off in a completely new vein are SPs. I think N artists are way rarer than S ones. Not that they can't hack it, but...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You started a whole thread making an insane claim that Jay-Z is ENTJ.
The gall of you coming in this thread is astounding.

Rather than you realize Jay-Z and the majority of rapper/hip-hop artists are SP,
you dared to suggest I was racist for disagreeing with your insane suggestion, that Jay-Z was ENTJ.

Just because people refuse to agree with you, doesn't make them racist.

Yeah that's called a joke, buddy. Good read.

That certainly isn't my viewpoint.

Of course not; if we wanted your viewpoint we'd have to change that "N" to a "J." :laugh:

(That's a joke, too, by the way.) I'm big on deadpan, as are many TPs.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm just tired to see an ISTP like Frank Zappa typed as an INTP.:dry: