• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Any other creative SPs tired of all artists, musicians, writers being typed as Ns?

illume

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
My two cents worth on being a creative N... My inspiration for everything I do comes from an internal locus. Rarely will I ever see something from nature or outside that will serve as an inspiration. Perhaps an exhibit at MOMA or a modern art photograph. But almost always from my own head. I think S inspiration tends to come almost always from external means....

I think creatively others tend to be more impressed when someone can take an object an reproduce it exactly as though it appears to the human eye. Frequently these tend to be life-like paintings, drawings, elaborate metal working, etc, etc....I tend to be impressed by these myself. This tends to be the provenance of S, I think. I can't do this.... I must take everything from a map inside my head, whether I am designing a room or a painting. To me, this is the largest difference between N and S creativity. I just really think one is not better or worse than the other, they are just very different based on the point of inspiration.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Even as a child I had a hard time just making something up from my imagination. I always had to ask others what to draw. I did make a few characters of my own, and had an entire page filled with random "weird creatures" with various combinations of tails, bug wings and antennae, some furry, some smooth-skinned. But they were all just mixtures of basic shared elements.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yes, I think a lot of SFP artists get labeled as N here. Which is weird to me because some of the best artists I know in real life are ISFPs. ISFPs, in particular, always stuck out to me as one of the most unique and creative types. I think many have a good handle on intuition, which trips some people up when typing.

Someone posted something once about people using their third function as a creative process. ISFP's (in this case) tertiary is Ni, so I think that could be part of why they get typed as N.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rather than you realize Jay-Z and the majority of rapper/hip-hop artists are SP,
you dared to suggest I was racist for disagreeing with your insane suggestion, that Jay-Z was ENTJ.

Okay, Jay-Z I definitely don't think is an SP, even if other hip-hop artists are.

I don't get it either. Not that there aren't N artists, because there are plenty, but most of the artistic types I really find compelling are SP's. like Likki Li ( hope I spelled her name right), Stevie Nicks, Sade, Cyndi Lauper, Elvis Presley, ... I think you guys have a way of taking hold of your external environment with a creative hand and turning it into something lovely.

I love Sade...what type do you think she is? ISFP maybe?

Hm, I think MBTI tests and some explanations have given the impression that "S" is all about experience - but I wouldn't say that. Se seems to be more about the moment. We SPs tend to forget the past and forego experience for new experiences we've never had before.
:yes: That's been my experience :)D).

In fact, I'd probly say that most artists who venture off in a completely new vein are SPs. I think N artists are way rarer than S ones. Not that they can't hack it, but...

I do know a good deal of SFP artists, but it's probably best not to generalize artists [that go off in a completely new vein]. People are individuals, and there's plenty of variation within type. I think Ns can make superb artists as well.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
My ISFP friend and I are both painters, but it seems to me that being an artist means something different to each of us. It seems as though the primary enjoyment she gets from painting is in the actual object of beauty she has created. For me, the primary enjoyment comes out of the various concepts that I am exploring through my art. I am more of an experemental artist than she is but she is very creative within the particular niche she has created for herself. I don't think either approach makes one of us a better or worse artist than the other. We are just very different.

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I thought the idea (at least according to Keirsey, who I've mainly read) was that definitely visual artists and musicians, and a lot of writers, were likely to be SPs. Writing was supposed to be maybe more of an NF thing, but there's no monopoly.

Most painters are SPs. Musicians are often SPs too, though composers are more likely to be NTs or NFs. Many cool movie directors on the other hand are said to be SJs.

I'll be a traitor (of Intuitive mother land ;) ) and post some SPs here (according to Russian socionics official sites)

Writers:
A. Dumas ISFP

Actors:
Kevin Spacey ISFP
Drew Barrymore ESFP
Goldie Hawn ESFP
Elisabeth Taylor ESFP
Barbara Streysand ISFP

Musicians:
Elvis Presley ESFP
Britney Spears ESFP

Since I started, I'll post couple Couple SJs as well:

Actors:
Leonardo di Caprio ISFJ
John Travolta ISFJ
Michelle Pfeiffer ISFJ

Writers:
F.S. Fitzgerald ISFJ
T. Dreiser ISFJ
J.D. Salinger ISFJ

Director:
Emir Kosturica ESFJ

B

brainheart

Okay, that's socionics, though, so it's all screwy, non, Happyman? ISFP=ISFj or some such thing?

Stellar renegade, yeah I would agree with what you said- all of it. I need something real as a starting point in my creations, then I can veer off into what is internal, and that's when it gets original. Also, I am all about jumping into new experiences, believing I'll be okay. I think that's one of the pros (and cons) of being an SP- since we live in the moment, we typically forget that there are consequences to our actions. (Sorry Jennifer. I thought a lot of what you said was good. :))

Especially: we are not all sensing or all intuiting. As an ISFP who's been typed as an N countless times I know I use my intuition plenty- especially Ni. (When I do cognitive functions tests I come out Fi Ni Se Ne.)The Ni seems a bit more contrived, though, like I have to focus on it more for it to happen, while the Se just happens.

Also, I think my dominant function, Fi, is what really gives me the urge to be creative, not the Se. I suspect it's the same for INFPs.

Jaguar

Okay, Jay-Z I definitely don't think is an SP, even if other hip-hop artists are.

Jay-Z frequently gives one-word concrete answers.
When asked what he and Beyonce do together, he replied: "Eat."

If you ever read his lyrics, there is nothing remotely metaphorical, or abstract about them.
They are concrete, and experiential.
Some are even indicative of an actual conversation with other people.

Case in point:

Good dude - I know you love me like cooked food
Even though a nigga got move like a crook move
We was together on the block since free lunch
We shoulda been together havin 4 Seasons brunch
We used to use umbrellas to face the bad weather
So now we travel first class to change the forecast
Never in bunches, just me and you
I loved your point of view cause you held no punches
Still I left you for months on end
It's been months since I checked back in
Well somewhere in a small town, somewhere lockin a mall down
Woodgrain, four and change, Armor All'd down
I can understand why you want a divorce now
Though I can't let you know it, pride won't let me show it
Pretend to be heroic, that's just one to grow with
But deep inside a nigga so sick.

On repeat, the CD of Big's "Me and My Bitch"
Watchin Bonnie and Clyde, pretendin to be that shit
Empty gun in your hand sayin, "Let me see that clip"
Shoppin sprees, pull out your Visa quick
A nigga had very bad credit, you helped me lease that whip
You helped me get the keys to that V dot 6
We was so happy poor but when we got rich
That's when our signals got crossed, and we got flipped

Like I said--concrete and experiential.

Who would say something like this?
“I had no aspirations, no plans, no goals, no back-up goals."

So we know we are not dealing with a planner, and certainly not a contingency planner.

J is out.

We are dealing with an adapter.
One who can fly by the seat of his pants.
But then he has said as much in his interviews.
The guy doesn't plan, he "promotes."

" [...] it was clear how he promotes all his products."
" [...] then he promoted all the rappers on his label."

Promoters aren't strategists, and strategists aren't promoters.

I still say he's SP.
You and I can agree to disagree. :newwink:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You and I can agree to disagree. :newwink:

Right, good sir. Even after that interview that was shown you still think he is an SP? Interesting. But slightly off-topic. :)

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Jaguar, what rappers that you have knowledge of would you consider Ns?

Jaguar

Right, good sir. Even after that interview that was shown you still think he is an SP? Interesting. But slightly off-topic. :)

Lauren-yes. It's my opinion.
But as we know, Jay-Z is the final arbiter of who he really is.
Not us.

Tyrant--

I can't name an N rapper unless I were to pick it up in their lyrics.
I would also read every magazine interview I could find.
Most interviews are done over the phone.
The person is more relaxed, and able to be themselves that way,
as opposed to a TV interview.

Jay-Z looked like a deer caught in the headlights on Letterman.
Letterman screws with people. Hardly a serious interview.
But TV will show you body language.

I would never even think of "typing" someone from a single TV show.
It's absurd.
It tells you nothing about who the person really is inside.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

One that is known in the mainstream is Nas (INxP). The rest aren't so popular.

Lauren-yes. It's my opinion.
But as we know, Jay-Z is the final arbiter of who he really is.
Not us.

I'll find a way to get him to take the MBTI. And I'll report back here. :D

Jaguar

I'll find a way to get him to take the MBTI. And I'll report back here. :D

Well it's true, ay?
I can't tell you how many times I have read people in this forum say:
"I typed my co-worker or friend as XXXX but they tested BBBB."
Don't people learn?

Never judge a book by its cover.
Go inward! :D

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
One that is known in the mainstream is Nas (INxP). The rest aren't so popular.
I think Nas is a definite. Lupe Fiasco might be, too, as well as Eminem (there is major difference in opinions on this one).

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well it's true, ay?
I can't tell you how many times I have read people in this forum say:
"I typed my co-worker or friend as XXXX but they tested BBBB."
Don't people learn?

Never judge a book by its cover.
Go inward! :D

What's true? I'm not judging a book by its cover, I've been a fan of his for a very long time now and listen to his music every day (actually, right now I'm listening to "Some People Hate"). I never type on a whim, you know this. ;)

I think Nas is a definite. Lupe Fiasco might be, too, as well as Eminem (there is major difference in opinions on this one).

Yes, Lupe too.

Jaguar

What's true? I'm not judging a book by its cover, I've been a fan of his for a very long time now and listen to his music every day (actually, right now I'm listening to "Some People Hate").

We all have been subjected to many "tests," which attempt to measure something within us.
We can share that data--lame as some of it is-- with others.
The public figures have not been given that opportunity.
I think that's why I find it so absurd when someone lists Ben Franklin's type.

It's laughable. :D
When did old Benny baby take the MBTI? haha.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's laughable. :D
When did old Benny baby take the MBTI? haha.

Upon flying the kite in a lightning storm, his type was either:

ZZZT!

OR

ZAPP!