User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any other creative SPs tired of all artists, musicians, writers being typed as Ns?

Freshman Member Array simulatedworld's Avatar
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I'm just tired to see an ISTP like Frank Zappa typed as an INTP.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post

It just doesn't seem possible... or likely.
    I was tired of them all being typed as SPs.

My two cents worth on being a creative N... My inspiration for everything I do comes from an internal locus. Rarely will I ever see something from nature or outside that will serve as an inspiration. Perhaps an exhibit at MOMA or a modern art photograph. But almost always from my own head. I think S inspiration tends to come almost always from external means....

I think creatively others tend to be more impressed when someone can take an object an reproduce it exactly as though it appears to the human eye. Frequently these tend to be life-like paintings, drawings, elaborate metal working, etc, etc....I tend to be impressed by these myself. This tends to be the provenance of S, I think. I can't do this.... I must take everything from a map inside my head, whether I am designing a room or a painting. To me, this is the largest difference between N and S creativity. I just really think one is not better or worse than the other, they are just very different based on the point of inspiration.

PEST that STEPs on PETS Array stellar renegade's Avatar

Even as a child I had a hard time just making something up from my imagination. I always had to ask others what to draw. I did make a few characters of my own, and had an entire page filled with random "weird creatures" with various combinations of tails, bug wings and antennae, some furry, some smooth-skinned. But they were all just mixtures of basic shared elements.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Yes, I think a lot of SFP artists get labeled as N here. Which is weird to me because some of the best artists I know in real life are ISFPs. ISFPs, in particular, always stuck out to me as one of the most unique and creative types. I think many have a good handle on intuition, which trips some people up when typing.
    Someone posted something once about people using their third function as a creative process. ISFP's (in this case) tertiary is Ni, so I think that could be part of why they get typed as N.

In Full Flight Array Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Rather than you realize Jay-Z and the majority of rapper/hip-hop artists are SP,
    you dared to suggest I was racist for disagreeing with your insane suggestion, that Jay-Z was ENTJ.
    Okay, Jay-Z I definitely don't think is an SP, even if other hip-hop artists are.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I don't get it either. Not that there aren't N artists, because there are plenty, but most of the artistic types I really find compelling are SP's. like Likki Li ( hope I spelled her name right), Stevie Nicks, Sade, Cyndi Lauper, Elvis Presley, ... I think you guys have a way of taking hold of your external environment with a creative hand and turning it into something lovely.
    I love Sade...what type do you think she is? ISFP maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    Hm, I think MBTI tests and some explanations have given the impression that "S" is all about experience - but I wouldn't say that. Se seems to be more about the moment. We SPs tend to forget the past and forego experience for new experiences we've never had before.
    That's been my experience ().

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    In fact, I'd probly say that most artists who venture off in a completely new vein are SPs. I think N artists are way rarer than S ones. Not that they can't hack it, but...
    I do know a good deal of SFP artists, but it's probably best not to generalize artists [that go off in a completely new vein]. People are individuals, and there's plenty of variation within type. I think Ns can make superb artists as well.
    ~Life in a cappella~

Senior Member Array mockingbird's Avatar

My ISFP friend and I are both painters, but it seems to me that being an artist means something different to each of us. It seems as though the primary enjoyment she gets from painting is in the actual object of beauty she has created. For me, the primary enjoyment comes out of the various concepts that I am exploring through my art. I am more of an experemental artist than she is but she is very creative within the particular niche she has created for herself. I don't think either approach makes one of us a better or worse artist than the other. We are just very different.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

I thought the idea (at least according to Keirsey, who I've mainly read) was that definitely visual artists and musicians, and a lot of writers, were likely to be SPs. Writing was supposed to be maybe more of an NF thing, but there's no monopoly.
    Most painters are SPs. Musicians are often SPs too, though composers are more likely to be NTs or NFs. Many cool movie directors on the other hand are said to be SJs.

I'll be a traitor (of Intuitive mother land ) and post some SPs here (according to Russian socionics official sites)

A. Dumas ISFP

Kevin Spacey ISFP
    Drew Barrymore ESFP
    Goldie Hawn ESFP
    Elisabeth Taylor ESFP
    Barbara Streysand ISFP

Elvis Presley ESFP
    Britney Spears ESFP

Since I started, I'll post couple Couple SJs as well:

Leonardo di Caprio ISFJ
    John Travolta ISFJ
    Michelle Pfeiffer ISFJ

F.S. Fitzgerald ISFJ
    T. Dreiser ISFJ
    J.D. Salinger ISFJ

Emir Kosturica ESFJ

Okay, that's socionics, though, so it's all screwy, non, Happyman? ISFP=ISFj or some such thing?

Stellar renegade, yeah I would agree with what you said- all of it. I need something real as a starting point in my creations, then I can veer off into what is internal, and that's when it gets original. Also, I am all about jumping into new experiences, believing I'll be okay. I think that's one of the pros (and cons) of being an SP- since we live in the moment, we typically forget that there are consequences to our actions. (Sorry Jennifer. I thought a lot of what you said was good. )

Especially: we are not all sensing or all intuiting. As an ISFP who's been typed as an N countless times I know I use my intuition plenty- especially Ni. (When I do cognitive functions tests I come out Fi Ni Se Ne.)The Ni seems a bit more contrived, though, like I have to focus on it more for it to happen, while the Se just happens.

Also, I think my dominant function, Fi, is what really gives me the urge to be creative, not the Se. I suspect it's the same for INFPs.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Isn't that an insult to jazz musicians?
    Wanted to say this was hilarious, btw-