• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Who were your most memorable teachers and why?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I know that schools are often not well suited to SP students. I am teaching a lot of SPs and am trying to make the subject matter fun and interesting for them. I have been bringing instruments to class for them to listen to and try (while working in vocabulary that is related), bringing food for them to make and eat (to work on food names, setting a table, passing things and so on) and have had them do art projects where they design a person with a styrofoam head and make hair, clothes, etc and then describe and introduce their person in French. For a lot of kids that seem to need the most action and attention, I've been trying to use them as leaders in the classroom so their need for attention is positive rather than negative.

What did your teachers do well with you (if you had any like that)? or what do you wish they would have done with you? Do you have any ideas for what would have made a French class interesting to you?

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
My art/science teacher, mainly because she was totally accepting and encouraging. She like never saw the flaws in people only their strengths, she highlighted it always. I guess she understood the concept about "what you focus on is what you get."

6 years after high school, we still keep in touch. She's a good friend now.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I slept in class, so anything to keep me awake was good :)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I had a lit teacher who assigned work like a normal teacher, but just gave a suggested due date (when it would be most relevant). The work was only required to be in by 5 days before the end of the marking period. If you wanted to hand ALL the work in on that day for an entire quarter, you could. It was amazing for me, with my erratic schedules and bursts of energy to work.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
All of the things that you described are really good and I would have liked them a lot.
I once had a teacher who had us create stories as we listened to music. For some reason, my mind seems to work better when I hear instrumental music.
I enjoyed a French class where we cooked and ate.
I always liked classes where we took nature walks.
Anything having to do with outside was good.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'd have to say a cross between my ENFP english lit teacher in undergrad, and my ENTP meteorology prof in grad school. The former because he was freewheeling and fun and really enthusiastic about the subject matter (poetry), the latter because he had a sardonic sense of humor and didn't suffer fools gladly.

Sorry that's not much of a help (and I'm not an SP) but it's a fun topic. I'd say energy and enthusiasm would go along way to keeping SPs engaged.

wolfy

awsm
One of my best teachers was an old geography teacher. I liked him ever since he piled a few textbooks on a desk got under the desk and shook it in various ways to show the different types of earthquakes.

My biology teacher was like that too.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Never had one. Well, I guess my favorite was a professor who said he wouldn't take roll and based all the grades on essays and tests. Went to class maybe 3 times to hand in essays and take tests. Easiest A ever.

The only way to make a French class interesting would be a field trip to France.