User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: ESTP functions

  1. #1
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,533

    Default ESTP functions

    1) How does an ESTP use Fe?

    I read on one profile that ESTP's can be hurt by people they have unconsciously come to trust. Is this like a sneak attack on Fe? Do ESTP's often not realize how much they care or trust someone until something threatens that?

    2) How does Ni show itself being the inferior function?
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  2. #2
    PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    I dunno, I generally don't trust anyone. Except to a certain extent, I guess, by judging their character and whether they could be relied upon. And if you betray that, boy howdy, you better look out. I will either denounce you to your face or find some way to subtly enact revenge or stab the knife in. I cannot stand someone betraying my friendship or sense of comradeship with them, even (sometimes it's something as simple as mocking me openly, or just stomping all over something I actually consider important). Sometimes I just let it go, but after awhile I can't take it anymore. It's like the ultimate sin, because to me my friends and equal relations are the most important aspect of my life, and I constantly strive to be charming and likeable (I actually see myself as vulnerable). But I'm not gonna go overboard on them, either. It's more like an eye for an eye, and I'll typically just turn the tables somehow, to level the playing field and get them to realize how they were wrong so we'll just go back to normalcy.

    As for Ni, the way I've heard it told is that function is able to predict how circumstances might play out under certain conditions or actions. I've also found that works best in the background because as I'm doing things my mind automatically generates the best action to take and when I do it without thinking, I instantly score with success. Other times I might predict what someone's gonna say, for instance, and I'll prepare my answers in advance.

    I guess it'd end up being inferior if the ability to be reasonable was underdeveloped and an ESXP were to just do things willy-nilly without rhyme or reason and end up screwing up everything. That's my best guess, at least.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!


    Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

  3. #3
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    1) How does an ESTP use Fe?

    I read on one profile that ESTP's can be hurt by people they have unconsciously come to trust. Is this like a sneak attack on Fe? Do ESTP's often not realize how much they care or trust someone until something threatens that?
    This is a great question. In my opinion, if you wish to have relations of any sort with another person, you must trust them to a certain degree. You MUST trust your spouse. You MUST trust your friends. The degree of trust awarded should be commensurate with the magnitude of the friendship. If people violate your trust it is their error.

    By default, I bestow a modicum of trust in all people, not enough to allow then to do me great harm, more of a gesture of goodwill. Trust is earned, so I pay attention over time as to how people use/abuse my trust. Those that perform poorly are ex-communicated from my existence, like that, gone. Those that are good stewards of my trust will be awarded more as life deems appropriate and their faith in me shall be repaid to epectations or better. That's just me.

    We (ESTPs) are caused "pain" or more accurately "emotional discomfort" when someone we love/respect questions our character or does not recognize our presence in their life for whatever reason.

    You are correct, sometimes you don't know how much you love someone until they do something hurtful to you. It is indeed an ambush, and from someone else, would mean nothing, as we would not have our "shields down", but from someone inside our "circle of trust" (I loooove DeNiro) an act of treachery is truly a miserable event that will illicit (1) pain, (2) wrath, or (3) both.

    Despite being somewhat aloof and emotionally detached (think analyst, problem solver, superhero, not sociopath!) we do have feelings. When we are hurt, we are hurt deeply and re-act accordingly. Luckily, we get over things quickly, but pain is pain, and sometimes we succumb to that which we try to eliminate from our lives. ESTPs are fun loving good people, we hate pain, whether to receive or inflict it.

    Now, I will say this, if someone screws me over with malice of forethought, literal pre-meditated vicious/hurtful things toward me, I will take vengenance. ESTPs are masters of hurling grenades back at people. We are friends to all men, women, and animals, but heaven help anyone who ends up on our shit list. It is a very, very bad place to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    2) How does Ni show itself being the inferior function?
    We are intuitive but we integrate it into our real-time cognition. We don't sit and ponder, simply because we don't sit. We ponder while on the move, and we are constantly moving. We analyze, decide, act and move on. Part of our analysis is intuition. How should this situation fold out? What is my gut telling me? These thoughts I have all day long, but I rarely think to myself "How do I feel about this situation?"

    I think about what needs to happen, and once I decide on it I make my desired outcome manifest in reality however I need to within the realm of the law and ethical behavior. I will bend rules until they scream for mercy, and I will find any loophole necessary if I need to, but that's still playing by the rules, and rules were meant to be questioned as no code (EXCEPT the 10 Commandments) can possibly speak for all potential scenarios brought about in the human experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    ...And if you betray that, boy howdy, you better look out. I will either denounce you to your face or find some way to subtly enact revenge or stab the knife in. I cannot stand someone betraying my friendship or sense of comradeship with them, even (sometimes it's something as simple as mocking me openly, or just stomping all over something I actually consider important). Sometimes I just let it go, but after awhile I can't take it anymore. It's like the ultimate sin, because to me my friends and equal relations are the most important aspect of my life, and I constantly strive to be charming and likeable (I actually see myself as vulnerable). But I'm not gonna go overboard on them, either. It's more like an eye for an eye, and I'll typically just turn the tables somehow, to level the playing field and get them to realize how they were wrong so we'll just go back to normalcy.
    Bro, we are so alike it is not even funny. +1 to everything you wrote above. Awesome! Very well put!

    Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    As for Ni, the way I've heard it told is that function is able to predict how circumstances might play out under certain conditions or actions. I've also found that works best in the background because as I'm doing things my mind automatically generates the best action to take and when I do it without thinking, I instantly score with success. Other times I might predict what someone's gonna say, for instance, and I'll prepare my answers in advance.

    I guess it'd end up being inferior if the ability to be reasonable was underdeveloped and an ESXP were to just do things willy-nilly without rhyme or reason and end up screwing up everything. That's my best guess, at least.
    Yes, this too! Anything done willy nilly gets fucked up! That's why we're methodical, on-the-go, masters of reality. We have made plans, executed them, assessed their efficacy our whole lives, so no matter what happens, we have a battery of potential ways to address it via our gift of pulling from all that we've ever done and applying it to our current endeavor. This is how we learn, and we reinforce our successes because they feel good. Yeaaaah baby! I wanted "X" to happen, I predicted "Y" would yield the highest probability of success, I went for it, and VOILA! I got my way! I should be ashamed for saying that maybe, but I'm not. I love winning. It's wonderful!

  4. #4
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,533

    Default

    By default, I bestow a modicum of trust in all people, not enough to allow then to do me great harm, more of a gesture of goodwill. Trust is earned, so I pay attention over time as to how people use/abuse my trust. Those that perform poorly are ex-communicated from my existence, like that, gone. Those that are good stewards of my trust will be awarded more as life deems appropriate and their faith in me shall be repaid to epectations or better. That's just me.
    I agree and am very similar to this. With the ESTP that I'm involved with I can see this commonality being a problem. I feel we are both "waiting" for the other to show their hands. If that makes sense. There's a part of this ESTP that makes me feel like he wants the upper hand. The thing is, I don't know him well enough to give it, nor do I want to because not enough trust has been established yet to where I think he deserves it. Plus... I kinda want the upper hand So it's a stalemate. I'm kind of getting bored with it and want to either 1) mix things up to get a reaction 2) end it and move on.


    Despite being somewhat aloof and emotionally detached (think analyst, problem solver, superhero, not sociopath!) we do have feelings. When we are hurt, we are hurt deeply and re-act accordingly. Luckily, we get over things quickly, but pain is pain, and sometimes we succumb to that which we try to eliminate from our lives. ESTPs are fun loving good people, we hate pain, whether to receive or inflict it.
    Reminds me of a little anecdote with ESTP. We were lying in bed. My head on his chest. He mentioned his left eye was watering. He tells me this then asks what the left brain/right brain functions are. I say that they are crossed right controls left and vice versa and that I think left brain controls feelings but not to worry because he doesn't have those. He responds with a quick laugh then hugs me tighter to him.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  5. #5
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I agree and am very similar to this. With the ESTP that I'm involved with I can see this commonality being a problem. I feel we are both "waiting" for the other to show their hands. If that makes sense.
    I'm too impatient to wait in situations like this. I really hate head games. If I love someone, which I do not throw around lightly, I offer transparency, a large degree of openness. What they do with it determines their future involvement with me. If someone is too guarded with me, my senses interpret it as (1) mis-trust (which I find rude considering how nice I am), (2) avoidant attachment (very difficult to deal with if you are a securely attached person), or (3) head games.


    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    There's a part of this ESTP that makes me feel like he wants the upper hand. The thing is, I don't know him well enough to give it, nor do I want to because not enough trust has been established yet to where I think he deserves it.
    He does want the upper hand, he does not deserve it, I advise you to show no mercy. Make him painfully earn each and every micron of your trust and affection. He will be very frustrated, buyt I assure you he'll adore you for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Plus... I kinda want the upper hand So it's a stalemate. I'm kind of getting bored with it and want to either 1) mix things up to get a reaction 2) end it and move on.
    Of course you do, and you deserve it. Take no prisoners! Go forth and conquer, it is your right! I'd vote for (1) mix things up, and then if that doesn't suit your fancy (2) end it and move on. It will MINDFUCK him to be rejected for no apparent reason. I assure you his skin will crawl for months over it. Self confident fellows, as most ESTPs are, crumble (on the inside) in the face of undeserved rejection. It is really our Kryptonite, and I will probably be shot for revealing that. :yim_rolling_on_the_

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Reminds me of a little anecdote with ESTP. We were lying in bed. My head on his chest. He mentioned his left eye was watering. He tells me this then asks what the left brain/right brain functions are. I say that they are crossed right controls left and vice versa and that I think left brain controls feelings but not to worry because he doesn't have those. He responds with a quick laugh then hugs me tighter to him.
    It would have taken him a month to put that in those terms, that is very of cute of you to think of.

  6. #6
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    For the use of Ti in combo with Se, I'ld say this:

    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  7. #7
    Senior Member Gewitter27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Fe in ESTPs is probably used for asking this question: YouTube - Why is the Rum Gone? - Remix
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

  8. #8
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gewitter27 View Post
    Fe in ESTPs is probably used for asking this question: YouTube - Why is the Rum Gone? - Remix
    Yep! Or "I'm hungry."

    BTW, Herr Entropie:

    I must admit: I LOVE THAT SNIPER PHOTO.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Gewitter27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Yep! Or "I'm hungry."

    BTW, Herr Entropie:

    I must admit: I LOVE THAT SNIPER PHOTO.
    Yeah...
    And yes, that photo is completely epic. Win. As a matter of fact... +1!!!
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

  10. #10
    PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    That first post of yours was amazingly epic, Halla! I agree with it 100% and wish I had written it myself.

    I also love the Why Is The Rum Gone video! What I saw of it at least... *grumbles about intolerant roommate*

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I agree and am very similar to this. With the ESTP that I'm involved with I can see this commonality being a problem. I feel we are both "waiting" for the other to show their hands. If that makes sense. There's a part of this ESTP that makes me feel like he wants the upper hand. The thing is, I don't know him well enough to give it, nor do I want to because not enough trust has been established yet to where I think he deserves it. Plus... I kinda want the upper hand So it's a stalemate. I'm kind of getting bored with it and want to either 1) mix things up to get a reaction 2) end it and move on.
    Yeah. Neither of you need the upper hand, the struggle is good and the game sounds fun, just train him so you can both get that transparency you need in the relationship. It might sound strange to see me say that, but believe me, I love a good challenge and a badass girl who can pull something like that off.

    Also, you totally sound like an SP here. We love stirring shit up!

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Reminds me of a little anecdote with ESTP. We were lying in bed. My head on his chest. He mentioned his left eye was watering. He tells me this then asks what the left brain/right brain functions are. I say that they are crossed right controls left and vice versa and that I think left brain controls feelings but not to worry because he doesn't have those. He responds with a quick laugh then hugs me tighter to him.
    haha!

    As much as most of us hate being accused of being unfeeling assholes that will stomp on anybody just because (since that takes away from our charm), we LOVE it when somebody tells us we're hardbitten, tough son-of-a-guns. You might see us puff our cheeks a little when you tell us something like that.

    But, no, the left brain controls logic...

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'm too impatient to wait in situations like this. I really hate head games. If I love someone, which I do not throw around lightly, I offer transparency, a large degree of openness. What they do with it determines their future involvement with me. If someone is too guarded with me, my senses interpret it as (1) mis-trust (which I find rude considering how nice I am), (2) avoidant attachment (very difficult to deal with if you are a securely attached person), or (3) head games.
    AMEN, MY BROTHER IN GODHOOD!

    Headgames seriously get exhausting and infuriating. It makes me want to just throw the entire chess board off the table and roar in my adversary's face. I love a good challenge, but only when I know what's at stake. Yes, I like being sneaky, too (in fact, I need that), but hate it when the other person's just trying to confuse me with random reactions. (see also: almost the entire girl race)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    He does want the upper hand, he does not deserve it, I advise you to show no mercy. Make him painfully earn each and every micron of your trust and affection. He will be very frustrated, buyt I assure you he'll adore you for it.

    Of course you do, and you deserve it. Take no prisoners! Go forth and conquer, it is your right! I'd vote for (1) mix things up, and then if that doesn't suit your fancy (2) end it and move on. It will MINDFUCK him to be rejected for no apparent reason. I assure you his skin will crawl for months over it. Self confident fellows, as most ESTPs are, crumble (on the inside) in the face of undeserved rejection. It is really our Kryptonite, and I will probably be shot for revealing that. :yim_rolling_on_the_
    OMG, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HALLA!? I just hope no future gf's see this!!! :horor:

    If a girl rejects me, I HAVE to know the specific reason why, else it never makes sense and it just gets to me. I can't just take, "I just don't like you." I have to know WHY, and it has to be a good reason. haha.

    :yim_rolling_on_the_
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!


    Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Similar Threads

  1. [ESTP] Cognitive Function Results - ESTPs
    By Zarathustra in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-13-2017, 06:22 PM
  2. [ESTP] ESTP: A Jungian Cognitive Function Analysis By SimulatedWorld
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs Type Profiles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 02:17 PM
  3. ESTP/ESFP shadow functions?
    By Windigo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 03:53 PM
  4. [ESTP] How to ask ESTP for changes?
    By Another INFJ in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 10:25 AM
  5. [ESTP] ESTP Chicks
    By FFF in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO