• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTP functions

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) How does an ESTP use Fe?

I read on one profile that ESTP's can be hurt by people they have unconsciously come to trust. Is this like a sneak attack on Fe? Do ESTP's often not realize how much they care or trust someone until something threatens that?

2) How does Ni show itself being the inferior function?

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I dunno, I generally don't trust anyone. Except to a certain extent, I guess, by judging their character and whether they could be relied upon. And if you betray that, boy howdy, you better look out. :ng_mad: I will either denounce you to your face or find some way to subtly enact revenge or stab the knife in. :ranting: I cannot stand someone betraying my friendship or sense of comradeship with them, even (sometimes it's something as simple as mocking me openly, or just stomping all over something I actually consider important). Sometimes I just let it go, but after awhile I can't take it anymore. It's like the ultimate sin, because to me my friends and equal relations are the most important aspect of my life, and I constantly strive to be charming and likeable (I actually see myself as vulnerable). But I'm not gonna go overboard on them, either. It's more like an eye for an eye, and I'll typically just turn the tables somehow, to level the playing field and get them to realize how they were wrong so we'll just go back to normalcy.

As for Ni, the way I've heard it told is that function is able to predict how circumstances might play out under certain conditions or actions. I've also found that works best in the background because as I'm doing things my mind automatically generates the best action to take and when I do it without thinking, I instantly score with success. Other times I might predict what someone's gonna say, for instance, and I'll prepare my answers in advance.

I guess it'd end up being inferior if the ability to be reasonable was underdeveloped and an ESXP were to just do things willy-nilly without rhyme or reason and end up screwing up everything. That's my best guess, at least.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1) How does an ESTP use Fe?

I read on one profile that ESTP's can be hurt by people they have unconsciously come to trust. Is this like a sneak attack on Fe? Do ESTP's often not realize how much they care or trust someone until something threatens that?

This is a great question. In my opinion, if you wish to have relations of any sort with another person, you must trust them to a certain degree. You MUST trust your spouse. You MUST trust your friends. The degree of trust awarded should be commensurate with the magnitude of the friendship. If people violate your trust it is their error.

By default, I bestow a modicum of trust in all people, not enough to allow then to do me great harm, more of a gesture of goodwill. Trust is earned, so I pay attention over time as to how people use/abuse my trust. Those that perform poorly are ex-communicated from my existence, like that, gone. Those that are good stewards of my trust will be awarded more as life deems appropriate and their faith in me shall be repaid to epectations or better. That's just me.

We (ESTPs) are caused "pain" or more accurately "emotional discomfort" when someone we love/respect questions our character or does not recognize our presence in their life for whatever reason.

You are correct, sometimes you don't know how much you love someone until they do something hurtful to you. It is indeed an ambush, and from someone else, would mean nothing, as we would not have our "shields down", but from someone inside our "circle of trust" (I loooove DeNiro) an act of treachery is truly a miserable event that will illicit (1) pain, (2) wrath, or (3) both.

Despite being somewhat aloof and emotionally detached (think analyst, problem solver, superhero, not sociopath!) we do have feelings. When we are hurt, we are hurt deeply and re-act accordingly. Luckily, we get over things quickly, but pain is pain, and sometimes we succumb to that which we try to eliminate from our lives. ESTPs are fun loving good people, we hate pain, whether to receive or inflict it.

Now, I will say this, if someone screws me over with malice of forethought, literal pre-meditated vicious/hurtful things toward me, I will take vengenance. ESTPs are masters of hurling grenades back at people. We are friends to all men, women, and animals, but heaven help anyone who ends up on our shit list. It is a very, very bad place to be. :yes:

2) How does Ni show itself being the inferior function?

We are intuitive but we integrate it into our real-time cognition. We don't sit and ponder, simply because we don't sit. We ponder while on the move, and we are constantly moving. We analyze, decide, act and move on. Part of our analysis is intuition. How should this situation fold out? What is my gut telling me? These thoughts I have all day long, but I rarely think to myself "How do I feel about this situation?"

I think about what needs to happen, and once I decide on it I make my desired outcome manifest in reality however I need to within the realm of the law and ethical behavior. I will bend rules until they scream for mercy, and I will find any loophole necessary if I need to, but that's still playing by the rules, and rules were meant to be questioned as no code (EXCEPT the 10 Commandments) can possibly speak for all potential scenarios brought about in the human experience.

...And if you betray that, boy howdy, you better look out. :ng_mad: I will either denounce you to your face or find some way to subtly enact revenge or stab the knife in. :ranting: I cannot stand someone betraying my friendship or sense of comradeship with them, even (sometimes it's something as simple as mocking me openly, or just stomping all over something I actually consider important). Sometimes I just let it go, but after awhile I can't take it anymore. It's like the ultimate sin, because to me my friends and equal relations are the most important aspect of my life, and I constantly strive to be charming and likeable (I actually see myself as vulnerable). But I'm not gonna go overboard on them, either. It's more like an eye for an eye, and I'll typically just turn the tables somehow, to level the playing field and get them to realize how they were wrong so we'll just go back to normalcy.

Bro, we are so alike it is not even funny. +1 to everything you wrote above. Awesome! Very well put!

As for Ni, the way I've heard it told is that function is able to predict how circumstances might play out under certain conditions or actions. I've also found that works best in the background because as I'm doing things my mind automatically generates the best action to take and when I do it without thinking, I instantly score with success. Other times I might predict what someone's gonna say, for instance, and I'll prepare my answers in advance.

I guess it'd end up being inferior if the ability to be reasonable was underdeveloped and an ESXP were to just do things willy-nilly without rhyme or reason and end up screwing up everything. That's my best guess, at least.

Yes, this too! Anything done willy nilly gets fucked up! That's why we're methodical, on-the-go, masters of reality. We have made plans, executed them, assessed their efficacy our whole lives, so no matter what happens, we have a battery of potential ways to address it via our gift of pulling from all that we've ever done and applying it to our current endeavor. This is how we learn, and we reinforce our successes because they feel good. Yeaaaah baby! I wanted "X" to happen, I predicted "Y" would yield the highest probability of success, I went for it, and VOILA! I got my way! :yay: I should be ashamed for saying that maybe, but I'm not. I love winning. It's wonderful! :rofl1:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By default, I bestow a modicum of trust in all people, not enough to allow then to do me great harm, more of a gesture of goodwill. Trust is earned, so I pay attention over time as to how people use/abuse my trust. Those that perform poorly are ex-communicated from my existence, like that, gone. Those that are good stewards of my trust will be awarded more as life deems appropriate and their faith in me shall be repaid to epectations or better. That's just me.

I agree and am very similar to this. With the ESTP that I'm involved with I can see this commonality being a problem. I feel we are both "waiting" for the other to show their hands. If that makes sense. There's a part of this ESTP that makes me feel like he wants the upper hand. The thing is, I don't know him well enough to give it, nor do I want to because not enough trust has been established yet to where I think he deserves it. Plus... I kinda want the upper hand :blush: So it's a stalemate. I'm kind of getting bored with it and want to either 1) mix things up to get a reaction 2) end it and move on.

Despite being somewhat aloof and emotionally detached (think analyst, problem solver, superhero, not sociopath!) we do have feelings. When we are hurt, we are hurt deeply and re-act accordingly. Luckily, we get over things quickly, but pain is pain, and sometimes we succumb to that which we try to eliminate from our lives. ESTPs are fun loving good people, we hate pain, whether to receive or inflict it.

Reminds me of a little anecdote with ESTP. We were lying in bed. My head on his chest. He mentioned his left eye was watering. He tells me this then asks what the left brain/right brain functions are. I say that they are crossed right controls left and vice versa and that I think left brain controls feelings but not to worry because he doesn't have those. He responds with a quick laugh then hugs me tighter to him.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree and am very similar to this. With the ESTP that I'm involved with I can see this commonality being a problem. I feel we are both "waiting" for the other to show their hands. If that makes sense.

I'm too impatient to wait in situations like this. I really hate head games. If I love someone, which I do not throw around lightly, I offer transparency, a large degree of openness. What they do with it determines their future involvement with me. If someone is too guarded with me, my senses interpret it as (1) mis-trust (which I find rude considering how nice I am), (2) avoidant attachment (very difficult to deal with if you are a securely attached person), or (3) head games. :doh:

There's a part of this ESTP that makes me feel like he wants the upper hand. The thing is, I don't know him well enough to give it, nor do I want to because not enough trust has been established yet to where I think he deserves it.

He does want the upper hand, he does not deserve it, I advise you to show no mercy. Make him painfully earn each and every micron of your trust and affection. He will be very frustrated, buyt I assure you he'll adore you for it. :devil:

Plus... I kinda want the upper hand :blush: So it's a stalemate. I'm kind of getting bored with it and want to either 1) mix things up to get a reaction 2) end it and move on.

Of course you do, and you deserve it. Take no prisoners! Go forth and conquer, it is your right! :yes: I'd vote for (1) mix things up, and then if that doesn't suit your fancy (2) end it and move on. It will MINDFUCK him to be rejected for no apparent reason. I assure you his skin will crawl for months over it. Self confident fellows, as most ESTPs are, crumble (on the inside) in the face of undeserved rejection. It is really our Kryptonite, and I will probably be shot for revealing that. :yim_rolling_on_the_

Reminds me of a little anecdote with ESTP. We were lying in bed. My head on his chest. He mentioned his left eye was watering. He tells me this then asks what the left brain/right brain functions are. I say that they are crossed right controls left and vice versa and that I think left brain controls feelings but not to worry because he doesn't have those. He responds with a quick laugh then hugs me tighter to him.

It would have taken him a month to put that in those terms, that is very of cute of you to think of. :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
For the use of Ti in combo with Se, I'ld say this: :D

sniper.jpg

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
That first post of yours was amazingly epic, Halla! I agree with it 100% and wish I had written it myself. :rock::yay:

I also love the Why Is The Rum Gone video! What I saw of it at least... *grumbles about intolerant roommate* :ranting:

I agree and am very similar to this. With the ESTP that I'm involved with I can see this commonality being a problem. I feel we are both "waiting" for the other to show their hands. If that makes sense. There's a part of this ESTP that makes me feel like he wants the upper hand. The thing is, I don't know him well enough to give it, nor do I want to because not enough trust has been established yet to where I think he deserves it. Plus... I kinda want the upper hand :blush: So it's a stalemate. I'm kind of getting bored with it and want to either 1) mix things up to get a reaction 2) end it and move on.
Yeah. Neither of you need the upper hand, the struggle is good and the game sounds fun, just train him so you can both get that transparency you need in the relationship. :yes: It might sound strange to see me say that, but believe me, I love a good challenge and a badass girl who can pull something like that off. :devil:

Also, you totally sound like an SP here. We love stirring shit up! :yay:

haha! :D

As much as most of us hate being accused of being unfeeling assholes that will stomp on anybody just because (since that takes away from our charm), we LOVE it when somebody tells us we're hardbitten, tough son-of-a-guns. You might see us puff our cheeks a little when you tell us something like that. :cool:

But, no, the left brain controls logic... ;)

I'm too impatient to wait in situations like this. I really hate head games. If I love someone, which I do not throw around lightly, I offer transparency, a large degree of openness. What they do with it determines their future involvement with me. If someone is too guarded with me, my senses interpret it as (1) mis-trust (which I find rude considering how nice I am), (2) avoidant attachment (very difficult to deal with if you are a securely attached person), or (3) head games. :doh:
AMEN, MY BROTHER IN GODHOOD! :nice:

Headgames seriously get exhausting and infuriating. It makes me want to just throw the entire chess board off the table and roar in my adversary's face. I love a good challenge, but only when I know what's at stake. Yes, I like being sneaky, too (in fact, I need that), but hate it when the other person's just trying to confuse me with random reactions. :doh: (see also: almost the entire girl race)

He does want the upper hand, he does not deserve it, I advise you to show no mercy. Make him painfully earn each and every micron of your trust and affection. He will be very frustrated, buyt I assure you he'll adore you for it. :devil:

Of course you do, and you deserve it. Take no prisoners! Go forth and conquer, it is your right! :yes: I'd vote for (1) mix things up, and then if that doesn't suit your fancy (2) end it and move on. It will MINDFUCK him to be rejected for no apparent reason. I assure you his skin will crawl for months over it. Self confident fellows, as most ESTPs are, crumble (on the inside) in the face of undeserved rejection. It is really our Kryptonite, and I will probably be shot for revealing that. :yim_rolling_on_the_
OMG, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HALLA!? I just hope no future gf's see this!!! :horor:

If a girl rejects me, I HAVE to know the specific reason why, else it never makes sense and it just gets to me. I can't just take, "I just don't like you." I have to know WHY, and it has to be a good reason. haha. :ranting:

:yim_rolling_on_the_

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
If a girl rejects me, I HAVE to know the specific reason why, else it never makes sense and it just gets to me. I can't just take, "I just don't like you." I have to know WHY, and it has to be a good reason. haha. :ranting:

absolutely! that is rough stuff.
it drives me nuts, i mean it becomes an obsession. why? why!? WHY!!??

that is the kind of thing that will cause your brain to eat itself.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Yep. Alot of times there is a good reason, but it's not something they really want to reveal, which can just drive you right up the wall. Girls can be secretive like that even when they don't really need to be. They're so confusing sometimes. I'm pretty sure they enjoy wrapping us around their wee little fingers. :steam:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But, no, the left brain controls logic... ;)
Yup. I realized this later ;)

AMEN, MY BROTHER IN GODHOOD! :nice:

Headgames seriously get exhausting and infuriating. It makes me want to just throw the entire chess board off the table and roar in my adversary's face. I love a good challenge, but only when I know what's at stake. Yes, I like being sneaky, too (in fact, I need that), but hate it when the other person's just trying to confuse me with random reactions. :doh: (see also: almost the entire girl race
)

what do u mean by being sneaky?

OMG, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HALLA!? I just hope no future gf's see this!!! :horor:

I love it! mwhahahahaha.....:devil:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
what do u mean by being sneaky?
Keeping tabs on people and knowing what they're all about so I can circumvent anything lame with something much, much better and way more fun. Or in the case of another sneaky person, keep them from being too devious and outsmarting me. It's like a game sometimes. I'm not vicious, though, unless you give me good reason to be. :yes:

I love it! mwhahahahaha.....:devil:
:( :( :( :(

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[=stellar renegade;827246]Keeping tabs on people and knowing what they're all about so I can circumvent anything lame with something much, much better and way more fun. Or in the case of another sneaky person, keep them from being too devious and outsmarting me. It's like a game sometimes. I'm not vicious, though, unless you give me good reason to be. :yes:

I am seriously thinking that my alter ego is ESTP....no joke. This makes total sense to me. Although I don't consider it sneaky. More like, due diligence :newwink:

aww...I won't do this...unless he deserves it!

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I am seriously thinking that my alter ego is ESTP....no joke. This makes total sense to me. Although I don't consider it sneaky. More like, due diligence :newwink:
Oh, well I am seriously thinking you must be ISTP, most likely. With some combination of INTP. heheh. :newwink:

aww...I won't do this...unless he deserves it!

:nice:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Keeping tabs on people and knowing what they're all about so I can circumvent anything lame with something much, much better and way more fun. Or in the case of another sneaky person, keep them from being too devious and outsmarting me. It's like a game sometimes. I'm not vicious, though, unless you give me good reason to be. :yes:

:( :( :( :(

OMG! I do this too! This is really crazy to read. It's like ESTPs have natural private investigator skills. We know EVERYTHING that is going on around us, out in the open, behind the scenes, whatever. Are we nosy little bastards? :shock:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
haha! Yeah, I am to an extent. Usually only if it interests or concerns me. Of course even then I naturally just pick up on things whether I mean to or not. I can't help it, hahaha. My ISTP buddy at work actually picks up on things more because he's a little nosier than I am.

Someone told me I could be a DA if I wanted to. I push people to the limit with my detailed questions because I know how artistic a person can be at BSing since I do it so much myself to get my way and I tend to know when somebody's lying to me. Little cues just give them away.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have an ENTP friend who thought he was ESTP, but he just had strong Se because he practiced dancing 5 hours a day for like 3 years