• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] How to get an ESTP to care

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
Dump via text. lols ensue.

But really, explain to him first that he should be more forth coming with regards to feelings and should stop projecting a matter of discord and deceit on your character, then proceed to dump his sorry ass. I'm sure he can figure his issues out after...

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Just so you know, this guy sounds like he might be a sociopath. Honestly. I'm not joking when I say to make sure you have all the things that are valuable to you within account, because once he decides that you're not worth milking anymore, it won't take him more than a minute to leave with everything you have, and he won't feel bad about it for a millisecond.

When you call him out, does he go into a bit of a pity party? Like point out how hard life is for him, even start getting slightly emotional, and start mentioning all the things he's dealing with and that you're the only person who truly take care of him and help him? If that's so, GET OUT. That's the classic sign of someone with Antisocial Personality Disorder. If true, he will never change, no matter what you try. All he cares about is getting what he wants from you - usually financial.

Unfortunately, ISFJs can be a little susceptible to this kind of person, since they're so superficially charming, confident and unflappable, a seeming rock in a sea of emotion. Don't think they don't know this, either.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Dump. He's probably accusing you of cheating because he is cheating.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
You would, you ESTP you! Heh! :D Thanx!

The profesor has spoken... <taking notes>

I think this statement is particularly brilliant: "He's probably the one cheating anyway. Those who are guilty are usually also suspicious."

THIS!!! Do THIS!!! Pefect dump strategy! Go S.R.! :nice:
Well now, what is this? Interesting enough, the professor is taking notes from the student! :nerd: I am truly indebted to you, sir, and your words. Your compliments truly know absolutely no bounds. :D

Your GF is cool. Ask her how to dump this douchebag, and follow her advice to a "T." There is no one better at dumping than an ESTP, except for maybe an ENTP. When we are done, we are done, over, goodbye forever. I'd say (1) Tell him off, (2) tell him never to call you, speak to you, or look at you EVER again, and (3) turn around and walk away.

<Think "These Boots are Made for Walking" by Nancy Sinatra!>
:worthy: YES! I bow to Halla's logic and your GF's insight. She will know exactly what to do, make sure to follow her insightful directions precisely, I know this is where you SJs shine (I can't follow directions for the life of me :yim_rolling_on_the_ I always end up adding my own flavoring to it)

And absolutely on the ENTPs being slightly better at the dumping thing. As sensors of the highest accord, we often fall prey to temptation despite our better judgment (oh, but she smelled so niiiiice! :wubbie: :doh:)

My best friend is an ENTP and though he might waffle a bit sometimes on dumping a girl (maybe the whole Fe thing going on?) he does his homework like a seasoned D.A. and once he finds out for 100% she's nothing but a hobag he'll dump her like she's last season's fashion, and he does it with style, no holds barred. :coffee:

In fact, even more reason to listen to onemoretime.

In that vein, here's my musical contribution to this thread:

[YOUTUBE="fNzowNrhSx8"]Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood[/YOUTUBE]

slant

MBTI Type
TOTO
Take away his car keys and disallow him sports for the month?

That would likely help.

Short term, at least.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Take people who have never met this guy's suggestions to dump him with a grain of salt, Hunni. I know what it feels like to be the one being talked about this way, so I bristle a bit at people attempting to tell you to do that with no real knowledge of the relationship.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Take people who have never met this guy's suggestions to dump him with a grain of salt, Hunni. I know what it feels like to be the one being talked about this way, so I bristle a bit at people attempting to tell you to do that with no real knowledge of the relationship.

But she is the one who described the guy as a complete jerk. Even if the guy isn't really as bad as she says he is, she at least feels that he is. Isn't that grounds enough for kicking him to the curb? I wouldn't say dump him(edit: at least not just based on what she wrote. She could've just been ranting), but I wonder what she sees in him. She never said.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
He might be a really great guy who just plays a jerk on TV, but yikes! Either she is really, really misinterpreting his actions or he is not good relationship material. Whatever the case may, be she wants to know how to change him and I think most of us know how well that usually works.

Dump him before you have to try to get child support out of him.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My ESTP boyfriend does not care at alllllll about how I feel in any situation whether it involves him or not. What can I do to convince him to care about my feeling side? It is so frustrating!!! :ranting: :chillpill:

He constantly accuses me of cheating on him and gets mad at me for hanging out with any guy or even talking to one on Facebook. I keep telling him that he needs to calm down because hes stressing me out and making me feel unappreciated after all that go out of my way to do for him. He never reciprocates in any way and thinks its my fault when I tell him I'm upset when he was the one who upset me.

Blaming you for things he did is a classic sign of someone being emotionally abusive. Please please look up "emotional abuse" and read about the signs of it. If your boyfriend is being emotionally abusive, you would be well advised to get out of this relationship because it's not going to get any better, and may even get worse over time.

Hunni518

MBTI Type
ISFJ
(edit: at least not just based on what she wrote. She could've just been ranting), but I wonder what she sees in him. She never said.

I wish I was ranting but I'm not... He really does/did have great qualities... especially when we first started dating. Then, over time, after some stuff happened and we both hurt each other, our relationship began to deteriorate. Unfortunately, I think it was both of our faults but he is the one who won't try to fix the problems. I wish there was some way I could figure him out and know whats going on inside of his head.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I wish I was ranting but I'm not... He really does/did have great qualities... especially when we first started dating. Then, over time, after some stuff happened and we both hurt each other, our relationship began to deteriorate. Unfortunately, I think it was both of our faults but he is the one who won't try to fix the problems. I wish there was some way I could figure him out and know whats going on inside of his head.

:hug:Ok, I was just wondering.
When you say he wont try to fix the problems, does he agree with that statement? Is he intentionally sabatoging your relationship maybe? Perhaps to get you back for something he feels you did to him(you said you hurt each other)?

Even if you could figure him out, what would you do with the information? If he's a real ESTP, then he is the persuader, not the persuadee. ESTPs, at their best and worst, are master manipulators of people. If he's mad at you or resents you, trust that this ability(to play puppet master) works against your favor in the worst way. I suspect that you're doing exactly what he wants you to do(feeling guilty, obsessing about the relationship, considering all the reasons why he's doing xyz, etc).

If you've hurt him and done all you feel you can to reconcile to no avail; if I were you, I'd just get out of the way. You can't tell someone how long to hurt or be angry when they've been slighted. But you can usually determine for yourself how much revenge you are willing to allow them to exact on you. Reduce the intensity of your attachment to him as best you can. Easier said than done, I know. :hug:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
All I'm saying is don't seriously make up your mind on whether to end a relationship based on what some random people say on an internet forum.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

Ah, well I wish I'd known this before. I know how it is for a relationship to deteriorate into a very bad place. :(

Have you tried giving him gifts, putting your best foot forward and when he's negative just responding positively? This is where tactics might be a good thing to learn. :yes: He'll respect you for it if you can get the hang of it.

You just gotta look at it from a practical point of view. Go in knowing that he may pull out all stops, remember the type of things he's said before and just brace yourself for it all while deciding to be as sweet and endearing as possible. Do this a few times, and he just might turn around. (I'd say bring along chocolates and flowers, but of course he's not a girl. I'm sure you can think of something to replace those with.)

If that doesn't work though, then it might just be time to bail. Regardless of how good of a guy he might be, you just shouldn't have to take that kind of emotional upset. :nono:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
All I'm saying is don't seriously make up your mind on whether to end a relationship based on what some random people say on an internet forum.

Agreed. I'd hope nobody would lack the sense to take anything said over the internet with a grain of salt. I generally work from the assumption that they don't and just speak my mind figuring the other person knows their circumstances better than I do and is going to be skeptical anyway, but I forget that not everybody has as clear of a head as some of the more observant and earthy folks like we SPs (don't know how it works for SJs).

Yeah, definitely don't end it JUST BECAUSE we say so; just take our ideas into account and weigh them seriously against your real-life circumstances. If it doesn't fit, just throw it out. Please. You'll be doing me more of a service that way. :yes:

Hunni518

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Agreed. I'd hope nobody would lack the sense to take anything said over the internet with a grain of salt. I generally work from the assumption that they don't and just speak my mind figuring the other person knows their circumstances better than I do and is going to be skeptical anyway, but I forget that not everybody has as clear of a head as some of the more observant and earthy folks like we SPs (don't know how it works for SJs).

Yeah, definitely don't end it JUST BECAUSE we say so; just take our ideas into account and weigh them seriously against your real-life circumstances. If it doesn't fit, just throw it out. Please. You'll be doing me more of a service that way. :yes:

Yeah, I am using all of the things that have been said as more of insight than actual advice. As an ISFJ, I absolutely need to think things through completely before I go ahead with it. And, I actually had a pretty nice talk with him last night about the way we've been acting. He said that sometimes I make him so mad that he just wants to make me feel bad, too. And he also told me that he gets upset a lot when I try to have a conversation with him and my information is all jumbled up and he doesn't follow it. And then I don't explain it well when he tries to get me to repeat what I said in a better way. The other thing was that I really did hurt him when everything began to deteriorate and he hasn't gotten over it. Oh and he said he doesn't think I open up to him about anything, even if he tries. He said "You are beautiful on the outside but when I try to get to know you, you just clam up. I want to see your inner beauty, too." aww how cute! We've been dating for about 15 months now and he still feels like I don't know him and he doesn't know me and he has to chase after me all the time. Which I guess is a good thing since ESTP's tend to not care about relationships? Is that right, y'all?

Anyways, today was a better day though, so far. I think we reached an understanding for now about the way we've been treating each other. I'm going to try to open up more and he is going to try to stay calm when I have a hard time expressing myself. Does this sound reasonable to everyone? And any more ideas of things I can do to help this process along?

OH, one more thing... I think I'm going to send him a love letter and a mixed CD in the mail of his favorite songs. We live about six hours away from each other so I think this would be a nice gesture on my part. I actually feel like I haven't realized how much he has tried to commit to me and I go off and do my own thing and expect him not to worry about me.

Wow that was long. Sorry!!! But thank you for all the advice!! Keep it coming... :)

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Not much time since I need to get some good sleep today before work, but...
Yeah, I am using all of the things that have been said as more of insight than actual advice. As an ISFJ, I absolutely need to think things through completely before I go ahead with it. And, I actually had a pretty nice talk with him last night about the way we've been acting. He said that sometimes I make him so mad that he just wants to make me feel bad, too. And he also told me that he gets upset a lot when I try to have a conversation with him and my information is all jumbled up and he doesn't follow it. And then I don't explain it well when he tries to get me to repeat what I said in a better way. The other thing was that I really did hurt him when everything began to deteriorate and he hasn't gotten over it. Oh and he said he doesn't think I open up to him about anything, even if he tries.
That sounds about right. I'm friends with an ISFJ and she does tend to be like that alot. Although she opens up to me more than she does other people, she still keeps alot of her feelings to herself. It's much more of a healthy relationship now, though. But we did have our rocky roads! :girlfight:

He said "You are beautiful on the outside but when I try to get to know you, you just clam up. I want to see your inner beauty, too." aww how cute!
Okay, I officially feel 100% better about this guy. No ESTP would ever come within 100 miles of saying anything about "inner beauty" unless he meant it. :eek: We avoid stupid mushy words like that like the plague. :yim_rolling_on_the_

We've been dating for about 15 months now and he still feels like I don't know him and he doesn't know me and he has to chase after me all the time. Which I guess is a good thing since ESTP's tend to not care about relationships? Is that right, y'all?
Hmmm... not if it's a constant struggle like he's saying to get someone to open up and get some kind of reward from them. Yes, we enjoy the chase, but we absolutely hate spinning our tires in mud or ice at the same exact time. But don't lose hope, we also like a good complex mystery, too. Someone who continually unfolds more of their personality as time goes on or has something else to offer, because variety is the spice of life as far as we're concerned. :nice: So, yes and no. But make sure to reward him with substantial bits of yourself along the way and you should be good to go. :D

Anyways, today was a better day though, so far. I think we reached an understanding for now about the way we've been treating each other. I'm going to try to open up more and he is going to try to stay calm when I have a hard time expressing myself. Does this sound reasonable to everyone? And any more ideas of things I can do to help this process along?
Yeah, but one thing I can give advice about being an ESTP myself is that you must try to be less ambiguous when you do open up. This is the major cause of his frustration, because my ISFJ friend will divulge her everyday trials (in detailed format, which I enjoy) but when she gets to spilling her emotions she's so vague that it's like braille sometimes trying to follow her. Try to tell him what event caused what emotions, if you can, and if you can't, just tell him what effect those emotions are having on you so he can give you some practical advice. Sometimes I just feel lost when she starts talking about that. If you can't, don't force it, but the best you can do is put a good effort forth; it's a simple principle, after all. We ESTPs are rooted in present reality and it seems that you SJs are just a tad bit more abstract than we SPs. We need something tangible that we can hold onto right now to relate to. Something we can help with. :yes:

OH, one more thing... I think I'm going to send him a love letter and a mixed CD in the mail of his favorite songs. We live about six hours away from each other so I think this would be a nice gesture on my part. I actually feel like I haven't realized how much he has tried to commit to me and I go off and do my own thing and expect him not to worry about me.
Excellent, that sounds extraordinary! :party: Just make sure it's music he really likes! :newwink: Just kidding, I know you have that covered.

Now, it's funny because in my friendship I'm the one who tends to not worry about her and she was the one frustrated. But if I were going steady with a girl who wasn't worried about communication it would really super bother me. I want the attention all on me!!! :devil: We want our friends to give us enough space to do what we want (if they're not interested in doing it with us, their loss, we can always find someone else) but we want our girls doing those things with us, or at least talking to us if they're not around, y'know? You'd seem like a really strange ISFJ if it weren't for the obvious relationship struggles, you know that? haha ;) I'd even question your type. No, but I get it.

Also, it makes MUCH more sense that you guys were having such problems since there's a distance issue. Next time you might want to provide all this info from the outset. :doh: It's all good in the hood, though. haha.

No worries, you guys should be good if you continue at this rate. Transparency is always healthy as fuck (sorry, have to be crass when I'm talking about this kind of shit ;))

Wow that was long. Sorry!!! But thank you for all the advice!! Keep it coming... :)
hah, no prob babe! :smoke:

I'm lovin' it, gives me something to feel good about and a reason to shoot off about my personality type! If you ever need more help, just ask away! I await the opportunity! :nice:

:rock: :bananallama:

I just love the banana llama, donchuu? ;) :D :banana2:

Hunni518

MBTI Type
ISFJ
hah, no prob babe! :smoke:

I'm lovin' it, gives me something to feel good about and a reason to shoot off about my personality type! If you ever need more help, just ask away! I await the opportunity! :nice:

:rock: :bananallama:

I just love the banana llama, donchuu? ;) :D :banana2:

Thank you sooo much!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
People pay hundreds of dollars for professional advice they don't listen to, so I doubt this is going to happen. People rarely follow advice. They ask and they usually do what they were going to do anyway.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah this doesn't sound like a good relationship...