• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ESTP or ESFP?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is some really interesting stuff about ESTPs/ESFPs in this thread.
I'll drop my thoughts below:

(1) I'm a ESTP and am the life of any party I end up at, or start, and I never have fun at other people's expense. That would be socially ungraceful, and ESTPs are masters of socializing. One of my best frineds (15 years I've known him) is ESFP. He and I are VERY much alike. He is actually more prone to having fun at the expense of others.

(2) Jennifer is right, when ESTPs determine it necessary to "crush" someone in the process of executing something relevant, we are not concerned about sugar coating it, but that is business, not social behavior.

(3) ESFPs are more impulsive than ESTPs, and are more "moody." Everyone knows when my ESFP friend is in a bad mood, or a good one, and he oscillates between the two poles with an unpredictable regularity depending on whaty is going on in his life. I am very, very consistent, and cool/calm/collected in disposition, especially when a crisis comes. ESTPs have nerves of steel, and we don't get emotionally moody, even when we are pissed.

Of course there is alot of variation possible, even between two types as close to these, but my comments are not meant to speak for all, only to share my experience on this topic.

Cheers!

:cheers:

-Halla

P.S. I'm getting tired of the "used car salesman" references. I'll sell shit to a farmer if I need to, but that's hardly an aura that is definitive of my persoanlity in any manner whatsoever. Believe it or not, most ESTPs are very well likied, and alot of people come to us for advice, because they know we have a cool head and will think through a problem to find an efficient solution to it. Used car salesman don't do that, and people don't go to the for advice. :newwink:

B

brainheart

I was thinking my husband was an ESTP, but it never seemed quite right because he is so lovey-dovey and emotional. I attributed that to the tertiary Fe, but the more I read this, the more he seems ESFP. He told me the other day that he loves being around this other friend because they are both so much alike and he makes him feel 'okay to be himself'. Well, this other friend is obviously an XSFP. My husband's dad is an ESTJ, and I know my husband always felt this pressure to 'be a man' from him, which I suppose could make him seem more T. And I imagine it can be awkward at times to be a F man...

I'll be honest: he's never seemed T to me, but his way of feeling is so different than mine. He expresses everything out loud, which doesn't seem like Fi to me. But maybe that's how it is when you're an extrovert with Fi?

Something: He has this tendency to badmouth his friends when they do something he considers to be 'wrong'. By this I mean they were inconsiderate, etc. And if his other friends agree that this other person was in the wrong, it's like they get all catty and judgmental about it, like a bunch of cliquish junior high girls. I don't get this or relate to this at all, and I will be the one defending the person who is getting bagged on, no matter whether he did something shitty or no. So I'm wondering, would this be more of an ESTP or an ESFP thing?

Also, his passion is skateboarding. I think what he loves about it is that it is a perfect combination of art and sport.

ESTPMarie

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
She's just very bad with her OWN emotions - something I struggle with as well.

Ding! Ding! Ding!!! You've got it - I'm a sweetheart with others, but for chrissake please don't ask me how I'M doing!!!

ESTPMarie

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
That actually sounds ENTJ to me. Contrary to belief ESTJs find humor in those who have to lead and ESTPs are either leaders or loners, but they don't insist on leading or dominating. In fact if healthy, they prefer not to lead because it creates obligations that they choose to forego in the name of freedom. I am curious to all who purport to know ESTPs, have they actually validated their types or are these opinions?

Yes! Yes! I often end up being the "leader," but find all the administrativia (is that a word?) that goes along with "leading" to be a real pain in the ass....

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Do you see your dad as a hustler and someone who enjoys exploiting others? I have always pictured the type as the greasy used car salesman, but now I don't see that. I think ESTPs have a high regard for mutual respect. On another note for the ESTP types, I have heard that your family members may mistype ESTPs as having introverted tendencies (not necessarily as being introverts). A prime example is FDRs daughter stating that he was very introspective at home and enjoyed solitude. Can you confuse yourselves as introverts?
I am often the same way at home.

This thread is pretty ridiculous, though.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
hahaha.

Well actually I was answering that real quick so I just agreed with the general gist of it. I'm not introspective at home, I find it impossible to introspect. I can be quiet, though. But usually it's because I'm being loud on the computer :yim_rolling_on_the_ like here ;) :happy:

Ding! Ding! Ding!!! You've got it - I'm a sweetheart with others, but for chrissake please don't ask me how I'M doing!!!
YESSSS!!!! YOU WIN THE NEW ESTP-WHO-SUMS-UP-EXACTLY-HOW-I-AM AWARD!!!!! HOW DO YOU FEEL NOW!!!

I mean, er... :huh:

NOW WHAT'RE YOU GONNA DOOO??

6a00d8341bf70753ef0105370094bd970b-800wi

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
And don't worry Halla, you still hold the honorary prestigious seniority title.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know quite a few ESFP guys. One thing they have in common is that are all very much into playing sports - basketball, skiiing, surfing, and weightlifting in particular, and don't have an ounce of beer gut in spite of how much they party. They're also fun as sh-t and will be friends with anyone. I've found ESTPs can give or take sports depending on personal interests.

Some ESTPs can also do the ENTP thing of one upping you, they like to show they know more than you. ESFPs rarely do that.

saskiazaaza

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is some really interesting stuff about ESTPs/ESFPs in this thread.
I'll drop my thoughts below:

(1) I'm a ESTP and am the life of any party I end up at, or start, and I never have fun at other people's expense. That would be socially ungraceful, and ESTPs are masters of socializing. One of my best frineds (15 years I've known him) is ESFP. He and I are VERY much alike. He is actually more prone to having fun at the expense of others.

(2) Jennifer is right, when ESTPs determine it necessary to "crush" someone in the process of executing something relevant, we are not concerned about sugar coating it, but that is business, not social behavior.

(3) ESFPs are more impulsive than ESTPs, and are more "moody." Everyone knows when my ESFP friend is in a bad mood, or a good one, and he oscillates between the two poles with an unpredictable regularity depending on whaty is going on in his life. I am very, very consistent, and cool/calm/collected in disposition, especially when a crisis comes. ESTPs have nerves of steel, and we don't get emotionally moody, even when we are pissed.

Of course there is alot of variation possible, even between two types as close to these, but my comments are not meant to speak for all, only to share my experience on this topic.

Cheers!

:cheers:

-Halla

P.S. I'm getting tired of the "used car salesman" references. I'll sell shit to a farmer if I need to, but that's hardly an aura that is definitive of my persoanlity in any manner whatsoever. Believe it or not, most ESTPs are very well likied, and alot of people come to us for advice, because they know we have a cool head and will think through a problem to find an efficient solution to it. Used car salesman don't do that, and people don't go to the for advice. :newwink:

Hey , about moody and impulsive is really Liam Gallagher things. Many people's mistype him as ESTP. Coz , he has cocky attitude outside.