MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Default ISPs: Stuck in Se?

So I read this about Se as a second function:

Since extraverted Sensing is likely to be a trusted process, they may engage in it in an overprotective and stunting way. At times, others may view them as overly focused on enjoying their own experiences and near-term payoffs. Under stress, they may become too insistent on adapting to the immediate moment and the data in front of them. Then they continually read the ever-changing events around them rather than focus on where they are going and following through with their commitments.
    I struggle with this all the time, especially as of late! The worst part is, I'm fully aware of it, I just have no idea how to stop. It's like a charging bull. Every time I start having trouble making a big decision, and exhaust Ti, I throw my hands up and let Se take over. Which doesn't always work like I'd like it to.

Have you other ISTPs/ISFPs struggled with Se in the same way? How in the world do you break yourself of it, even if it's only temporary? Oh, and if anyone else has any input, it would be much appreciated
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I couldn't care less about Se strugg-a-ling, I wanna kiss you!

[/Joe Namath]
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I couldn't care less about Se strugg-a-ling, I wanna kiss you!

[/Joe Namath]
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post
    So I read this about Se as a second function:

I struggle with this all the time, especially as of late! The worst part is, I'm fully aware of it, I just have no idea how to stop. It's like a charging bull. Every time I start having trouble making a big decision, and exhaust Ti, I throw my hands up and let Se take over. Which doesn't always work like I'd like it to.

Have you other ISTPs/ISFPs struggled with Se in the same way? How in the world do you break yourself of it, even if it's only temporary? Oh, and if anyone else has any input, it would be much appreciated
    Can you give an example? Not 100% sure I know what your talking about. This sounds alot like dominant Se types because when stressed E types will initially jump into Se which is there strength so not sure how you are relating it to what you are doing.

I know I hit Se for several reasons. There are times when I say screw it and jump into Se without thinking about the consequences. It is like something pulls me into it. I am then forced to go along with my decision and have to kinda flex and bend because of my choice to jump in. Other times I get tired of Ti and just need to escape into Se. It forces me into Se where I have to make quick decisions, its almost like I got stuck in Ti and my Se escape puts me in a rapid Se-Ti cycle where I have to think and react quickly.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I think that when you are having trouble making a decision, it's not that Ti is at fault, but that your Se is still looking for the most tactical opportunity...and waits and waits and waits. So if you're having difficulty coming toa decision on something, you don't want to indulge Se more, but you want to cut it off and simply make a decision on the data you have available right now.

This tends to happen with INTPs too, where Ne is still looking for possibilities and waits until Ti finally takes the reigns and forces a decision.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Can you give an example? Not 100% sure I know what your talking about. This sounds alot like dominant Se types because when stressed E types will initially jump into Se which is there strength so not sure how you are relating it to what you are doing.

I know I hit Se for several reasons. There are times when I say screw it and jump into Se without thinking about the consequences. It is like something pulls me into it. I am then forced to go along with my decision and have to kinda flex and bend because of my choice to jump in. Other times I get tired of Ti and just need to escape into Se. It forces me into Se where I have to make quick decisions, its almost like I got stuck in Ti and my Se escape puts me in a rapid Se-Ti cycle where I have to think and react quickly.
    Well it usually only happens if I'm being REALLY indecisive about something...when I'm split in half over something. Or, if I wait too long to decide something... I used the pretense that I was gathering information, but by that point, I have TOO much information which proves to be counterproductive.

Like right now... I put off deciding where I want to be after college. I'm interviewing in NYC now, which is a fun city to be, and I feel it could be really satisfying here... but all my friends are in Houston. So I have a few interviews set up there as well. There's a million factors involved here, but I don't want to ramble too much. Anyways, I've been split into two over the decision AND I've waited too long (need a job pretty soon ), so I just gave up using Ti and am letting Se take over...whatever happens, happens. Or in this case, whatever job I get... decides where I'm going to be.

Anyways, you're right about this sounding like a dominant Se thing...I guess this is when ISPs are under stress. For Se as a dominant function, it says this (or when used in a negative context):

Since Se is often their most trusted process, they may engage it too much. They may over-indulge the senses, insist on getting a lot of data, or proceed only with what they have in the immediate moment. As a result, they may repeat the same experiences over and over, eventually finding themselves limited and bored. They may also act with over-confidence, feeling that they are immune to danger, or they may act too quickly when analysis or a values check is really required
    I guess the difference here is, that I see my best friend (ESTP) do this sometimes even without stress, whereas I only do it under stress. I think another reason I've been using it more lately is because I've been "successful" using it over the past few months... which is giving me the false impression that I can use it successfully all the time.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

On a related note, I struggle with doing anything regarding things about to happen even a month from now, or a couple weeks. I'm too caught up in immediate enjoyment of things. I really wonder if it's true that my type only really knows how to party. haha.

Kinda sucks. I like being the way I am but I'd also like to be able to break out of this mindset if I feel like it.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think that when you are having trouble making a decision, it's not that Ti is at fault, but that your Se is still looking for the most tactical opportunity...and waits and waits and waits. So if you're having difficulty coming toa decision on something, you don't want to indulge Se more, but you want to cut it off and simply make a decision on the data you have available right now.

This tends to happen with INTPs too, where Ne is still looking for possibilities and waits until Ti finally takes the reigns and forces a decision.
    Ugh... you're so right... Damn it.

MBTI
    STP

Well it usually only happens if I'm being REALLY indecisive about something...when I'm split in half over something. Or, if I wait too long to decide something... I used the pretense that I was gathering information, but by that point, I have TOO much information which proves to be counterproductive.

Like right now... I put off deciding where I want to be after college. I'm interviewing in NYC now, which is a fun city to be, and I feel it could be really satisfying here... but all my friends are in Houston. So I have a few interviews set up there as well. There's a million factors involved here, but I don't want to ramble too much. Anyways, I've been split into two over the decision AND I've waited too long (need a job pretty soon ), so I just gave up using Ti and am letting Se take over...whatever happens, happens. Or in this case, whatever job I get... decides where I'm going to be.

Anyways, you're right about this sounding like a dominant Se thing...I guess this is when ISPs are under stress. For Se as a dominant function, it says this (or when used in a negative context):
    Thanks, I know exactly what your talking about, i think. Ive got to the point where I dont stress much over these things and just run with whatever happens like allowing your job to decide where you are going to be. To me this is like looking at the big picture. Either way you cant lose. Being SP we adapt really good, so as long as we keep the big picture in mind everything always seems to work out.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

I guess the difference here is, that I see my best friend (ESTP) do this sometimes even without stress, whereas I only do it under stress. I think another reason I've been using it more lately is because I've been "successful" using it over the past few months... which is giving me the false impression that I can use it successfully all the time.
    I do it as instinct, without even thinking about it. It's really hard for me to make decisions about the future. The only deciding factor is often just what appeals to me as the most pleasurable. If I don't know that then I often dawdle until I do.

This whole thing has been tripping me up lately, too.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]