• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensing People through the Eyes of an Intuit

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
My S friends come to me when they've gotten themselves into something ridiculous as a result of their impulsive behavior and they need help(almost always ESP).

Oooh my SP friends do this too. I'm the go-to friend when they need a ride to planned parenthood, a bite to eat because they haven't been in their own house in 3 days, or someone to keep an eye on them while they're rollin'.

(sometimes all in the same weekend)

Lol.

I love you guys.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oooh my SP friends do this too. I'm the go-to friend when they need a ride to planned parenthood, a bite to eat because they haven't been in their own house in 3 days, or someone to keep an eye on them while they're rollin'.
:wubbie:
Isn't that the truth? But the trade off is that SP types are very accepting and open. Like oxygen in a world that seeks to stifle and suffocate.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
:wubbie:
Isn't that the truth? But the trade off is that SP types are very accepting and open. Like oxygen in a world that seeks to stifle and suffocate.

They are indeed :yes: They don't understand my quirks, but they don't give me any trouble about them :laugh:

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
hahahahaha... all that sounds WAY too familiar. omg, I never realized just how SP I was until I started reading this stuff. :yim_rolling_on_the_ :yim_rolling_on_the_ :yim_rolling_on_the_

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I randomly roamed the streets of Seattle without telling anybody for three days?

wolfy

awsm
I really skimmed but I want to tell you, I think my brother is ISTP and boy, the sensors around him really don't get him (and he doesn't get them) at this point he is dating an ENFP who apparently 'gets' him somewhat. Are you sure you are surrounded by N's? It's possible that they don't get you, but (going by my brother) I think the ISTP is unique in that they sort of have their own world anyway. N's and S's might have trouble getting it.

I get this. I think ISP are up in their head to a certain degree.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
To me it's all plain and simple. Sensors are boring. Except for a few ESFPs who try and understand what I mean. I'm boring to them. They're boring to me. I talk about theories. They talk about football. I talk about ideas. They talk about their new blackberrys. Totally different interests and totally different understanding of ideas.

I <3 football AND my blackberry. Are you spying on me?!

With some sensors, I get this. Kinda like,"OK, but what's the point???"

I admire a lot of things about sensing, like the whole groundedness thing, and just seeing things as they are and not feeling the need to extrapolate or project the now into the future. I often wish I could be as present.

The point? I thought everything I did or said had a point...but I guess we just don't see it the same way. :cry:

Sometimes I need that future-ness. I hate planning so much 'cause "what if I don't wanna do it then or what if something else comes up that I want to do more?! :(" And then I freak out on the inside and get uncomfortable planning stuff and procrastinate :D

Of course the communication is different. That's the good thing about this site and talking to different people. We can work on it.

It is easier to talk to people about everyday stuff, but that gets boring. I would rather have more indepth/intellectual conversations and question why you came to the conclusions that you have. I am actually keeping you on your toes IRL. I am not looking for flaws but rather the foundations.

This may piss some people off, but hey, thats who i am. I don't claim to be smart and a know-it-all. I do enjoy hearing information i previously was unaware of.

Everyday stuff DEFINITELY gets boring. I HATE small talk. But deep conversations have a time and place, imo. I'm not very good at multitasking, so I'm likely to get distracted from the original task and go off into the topic and then nothing will get done...
I like it to operate a little like this - do some, talk some, talk/joke more, do less, finish task, reward with deeper talk and as a result some bonding.
I have different friends for different reasons - classic ISTP, I know. :) With most friends it takes doing something to bring out deeper conversation.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
The point? I thought everything I did or said had a point...but I guess we just don't see it the same way. :cry:

Sometimes I need that future-ness. I hate planning so much 'cause "what if I don't wanna do it then or what if something else comes up that I want to do more?! :(" And then I freak out on the inside and get uncomfortable planning stuff and procrastinate :D

:hug: Aw, what I meant was that a lot of my friends who are sensors often look at me wondering "What's the point" of what I'm saying. :D ;)

Yea, the hatred of planning is more about the perceptiveness than anything else. I always like to keep my options open too, for the exact same reason.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Everyday stuff DEFINITELY gets boring. I HATE small talk. But deep conversations have a time and place, imo. I'm not very good at multitasking, so I'm likely to get distracted from the original task and go off into the topic and then nothing will get done...
I like it to operate a little like this - do some, talk some, talk/joke more, do less, finish task, reward with deeper talk and as a result some bonding.
I have different friends for different reasons - classic ISTP, I know. :) With most friends it takes doing something to bring out deeper conversation.

What is small talk? I want to know the what/why/where. ;)
Although i do agree that deep conversations have a time and place. DO NOT disturb me whilst watching ER/Grays anatomy as i am brushing up on my medical terminology which will never come in handy. lol

You can't mutli-task well? wth? (just kidding)

Your way of operating seem sound to me.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
What possessed you?
That reminds me of something an SP girlfriend of mine did.

I just had to go "seek my fortune". I'm not precisely sure, actually. I had to explore and leave that house. I felt alot of pressure there and felt like I was totally stuck in a rut.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Like when Meseri is trying to talk about society and their values, etc when we're in the middle of working. Sure, I tell anecdotes and jokes (and so does he) while we're trying to work, but meh. That makes more sense to me. If you want to have a philosophical conversation, let's sit down at Starbucks somewhere and then end it with talking about how all of that reasoning can be applied to some kind of action we can take part in.

Yes, I think there's a place for every kind of theory and philosophy, but not just at any time and place. I'd rather wait till they're more or less relevant to what's going on. I think it makes much more sense that way, don't you?

Yes, of course. I certainly wouldn't talk about philosophy during work. When I'm working on something, I'm focused on what I'm doing... in fact, most people who've only seen me at work think I'm boring and have no personality. Mostly because I don't want anyone to think I'm weird. Sometimes I'll complain about how a task we've been assigned could have been made easier or clearer (if the person who gave it to us is out of earshot), but that's about as much of a tangent as I'll go on when trying to focus. I might say, "Sigh. Why do we have to do this X way? Y way would be easier, less involved, and save time. Oh, well, I'm not the boss. *shrug*"

I like to talk about purely speculative theories about the nature of reality that aren't relevant to what's going on, but only when there's nothing more important/relevant to focus on. I am a J, after all. ;)

I'd go to Starbucks to talk to people myself, but I never seem to get to know people well enough to be comfortable asking to meet them in person. So I usually content myself with e-mails and such.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You got a job? Where at?

Oh, no... this is in the past, when I was doing schoolwork and working for my Dad for a month or two.

These days I never leave the house except to go to school, and everyone there is so focused on what they're doing that there's no conversation. It often feels like everyone else started shutting up, focusing, and getting their priorities in line right at the same point when I became interested in conversation and interacting with people. :(

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can have a generally pleasant conversation with any type

I didn't say "generally pleasant conversation." I can do that too. I said "normal" meaning about exactly the kind of topics you said you don't like discussing. Details and events of everyday life.

I don't live in the moment and am oblivious to detail...

You've said exactly the opposite of this in the past, so that's the kind of thing i'm talking about when I say "it didn't seem that way."

I get accused of being all sorts of things really, back in the CC days she thought I was an F type, the thing we can say for sure though is I'm all about my Pness

Well, I'm certainly not "accusing" you of anything. And yes, I know what it's like to have substantial Pness. :newwink:

After reading the long INTP descp over at INTPc I'm convinced its me, the part about hoarding and memory recall was simply mind blowing (always wondered what it all meant)

Fair enough. I'm the last person to try to tell other people that I know them better than they know themselves. All i do is call em like I see em. And for several months, you have convincingly played the part of an SP here. Anybody can show different faces to the world in different arenas, all I can go on is what is presented to me. It's not an attempt to call you wrong, just to point out that it's natural for people to be a bit surprised by such an about-face. (And I'm not talking about closeness of letters on tests, I know you said all along they were close, I'm talking about a fundamental change in temperament.)

Let this be a proof that intuitives and sensors can interact with each other in a peaceful understanding way, I ask you to embrace my true type

Well, i don't embrace types, but I do embrace people. In all of our conversations, you have seemed to me to be a pretty cool guy, and I have seen no reason to change that opinion yet. :D

Those who know me well (my friends... I'm a hard guy to get to know) agree with this change 100%

Oh and ISTP fit even less than ESTP at least ESTP fit my social mask I whip out when I have a lot of energy to burn

The subject of type "mask" is definitely one I have been interested in, and whenever it's been discussed here I have tried to read as attentively as I could about it. There's a topic going on the Keirsey forum about "Nature vs Nurture" that tackles some of that subject too. How much is our personality shaped by our environment and how much is inborn? It's a fascinating subject, but one we'll probably never have all the answers to. :)

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
:hug: Aw, what I meant was that a lot of my friends who are sensors often look at me wondering "What's the point" of what I'm saying. :D ;)

Yea, the hatred of planning is more about the perceptiveness than anything else. I always like to keep my options open too, for the exact same reason.

Yeah...I don't always get my INTJ friends. The guy finds the WEIRDEST reasons to like/dislike some things. He kinda hates on MBTI 'cause he doesn't like being typed or classified as anything.

My ENTP friend...I don't always get him either, but he seems to make more sense than the INTJs, maybe 'cause he talks more. ENTP is definitely not a good planner! It's that P in him. For instance, yesterday it was rainy most of the day, but it looked like the sun might come out. So he want to play volleyball outdoors, but only if the sun came out, but it had been raining all day, so the courts would be wet, and if they were wet, he wanted to go to a county fair instead, but not if it was raining there....took over an hour to get a straight answer out of him and even then it was conditional! On a different note - Boy oh boy, is he a packrat, or what?! His cube at work is almost perpetually cluttered (with trash/old useless papers, I might add). His car is FULL of crap. Only reason his house isn't is 'cause he's got a wife obsessed with cleaning.

Not sure how I got on that spiel, but there it is!

What is small talk? I want to know the what/why/where. ;)
Although i do agree that deep conversations have a time and place. DO NOT disturb me whilst watching ER/Grays anatomy as i am brushing up on my medical terminology which will never come in handy. lol

You can't mutli-task well? wth? (just kidding)

Your way of operating seem sound to me.

I don't mind the occasional interruptions, but I had a long distance boyfriend who used to call me ALL OF THE TIME when I was watching something. That got old!!! I also work with a guy who is very ADD and he'll pop in and out of my cube multiple times a day...which is fine if it's a slower day, but when I've got stuff to do I don't want a thousand interruptions. One or two, that's fine, I might even like it...

Yeah, I get dstracted when I try to multitask - things get put on the back burner and I forget about them.... Oh well. Out of sight, out of mind.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah...I don't always get my INTJ friends. The guy finds the WEIRDEST reasons to like/dislike some things. He kinda hates on MBTI 'cause he doesn't like being typed or classified as anything.

INTJ? really?

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
One INTJ said "I don't believe personality can be quantified" in response to being asked to take the MBTI.

Y'know, I agree to a certain extent with that logic...but only a teeny bit. I'm an ISTP, but not EVERYthing about me is ISTP. I don't expect most people to be their MBTI to the letter. I'm not sure he got that, tho. I have two confirmed ISTJ friends and they're so different, it's ridiculous. I don't think of them the same way at all even if some of their inner workings are similar.

I didn't get why he was so anti-MBTI (and I still don't get it). It's just like everything else on the planet...imperfect. Take it with a grain of salt, dude.