User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Auto/Virtuosi=L.A.P.'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Default Do Attributes Near 50% Make Some Personality Perceptions Difficult?

I bet I could've worded that differently but I'm an ISTP. Several times taking a test I've been achingly close to being an INTP. So, being near 50% for any letter, does it feel weird or is it helpful? I'm around 53% Sensing. So living in the present as much as living for the future possibilities, and as concrete as abstract. Sounds cool, but my head won't explode, right?

Who else has this going on with any other letter coupling?
    And there I stood... The devil of a command that featured death...

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I do, with everything. Literally.

But the most noticeable is between T/F and S/N for me, since I consider myself quite balanced on those two scales.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I've got it with my T/F and my J/P. Very close to the other. It was very hard to choose my personality.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Auto/Virtuosi=L.A.P. View Post
    I bet I could've worded that differently but I'm an ISTP. Several times taking a test I've been achingly close to being an INTP. So, being near 50% for any letter, does it feel weird or is it helpful? I'm around 53% Sensing. So living in the present as much as living for the future possibilities, and as concrete as abstract. Sounds cool, but my head won't explode, right?

Yeah, I have it with J/P. I'm a little bit more J than P. It's not really helpful, more of a pain. The very close divide between work and fun is annoying. I could see the divide between S/N being less of a problem, but I wouldn't know.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

The only really strong preference that I have is for "F." The others are far closer to balanced, especially I/E. S and N are fairly close but S wins out... living in the present with a vivid imagination. It's a good thing.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Permabanned

I am an ISTP with high N too I guess we are just nerds for our type.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I have it with my J/P. I think it is kind of cool.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Senior Member Auto/Virtuosi=L.A.P.'s Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    The only really strong preference that I have is for "F." The others are far closer to balanced, especially I/E. S and N are fairly close but S wins out... living in the present with a vivid imagination. It's a good thing.
    Living in the present with a vivid imagination... I like that. haha Thanks, that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I am an ISTP with high N too I guess we are just nerds for our type.
    Oh gawd... haha I'm not good at being an INTP, but I can be a decent nerd.
    And there I stood... The devil of a command that featured death...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have this with my T/F, as you can see.

This is why I think Temperament is a bit contrived. It really only works well if your letters aren't close. If you're on the border between INFJ and INTJ, you're going to look like an NT at sometimes, and an NF at others. I've been told as much. There's not some fundamental difference in motivation that exists equally across all preference strengths, types within a temperament, or function orders.

I think temperament is like saying:

Okay, you're 100% I, 90% N, 51% F, and 90% J, but because temperament represents a fundamental and observable core of personality, we assert that you have more in common with this INFP (60% I, 51% N, 100% F, and 80% P) than you do with this INTJ (100% I, 90% N, 49% F, and 90% J).

Doesn't that strike you as somewhat... ridiculous? It seems so to me.

I don't believe temperament is useless, but I do believe that it's less useful for people who are near 50% on any of a temperament's defining attributes, because they'll seem to move between temperaments depending on the situation. There's no reasonable way to define being "fundamentally NF" in a way that makes an INFJ inherently more similar to an ENFP than an INTJ or ISFJ, regardless of preference strength or functional order. There just isn't.

your resident asshole

Yeah. I have that problem with F/T and J/P, but I know that I'm a J because of my dominant Si. But I could even be wrong with that. :/ My strongest letter is definitely S.