• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] Se awakening?

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
I think my Se has just kicked in, and I really like it. I'm noticing little things everywhere, have been reading street signs and noticing where roads lead for the first time in my life, am somehow interested in what people around me are doing, am struggling not to stare at strangers out of curiosity and I think I understand what my great uncle meant when he said he didn't know how people could get unhappy when 'there's always so much to look at'. I thought this was odd at the time. Who wants to look at things all day? Now I suddenly get it. Just one drawback. By the time I got home today I thought: that's how a large number of the population sees the world all the time, and what the heck are they seeing when they look at me?! Never used to think about my appearance much.

Does this sound like Se?

If so, Se rules!!! If reincarnation is real, I'm asking to come back with it as my dominant or supporting. :yes:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Not really... Noticing where they lead, and processing that they lead somewhere involves N. Reading the signs is definitely still N. Se would just appreciate the colors on the sign, the reflectivity of it, perhaps the shape, or notice whether some of the letters were faded. You know, things like that. Se could be drawing your attention to smaller details of your environment that you immediately process with N, however.

Se would be more like noticing how something looks, feels, or sounds, and not doing any further processing, just experiencing it "as is." I don't really enjoy that, but I can do it if I have to in order to accomplish something.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Does this sound like Se?

Not to me... for me it's manifested as an almost sudden onset of sensuality. I always used to live in my head and enjoyed/suffered a rich fantasy life. Now, I want to live my impulses in the real world... and my senses won't take no for an answer.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Does this sound like Se?

If so, Se rules!!! If reincarnation is real, I'm asking to come back with it as my dominant or supporting. :yes:

The signs bit is Se... but it sounds more like unification of different functions. To see what is and to see what it means at the same time is a total rush. The clarity, the world... it suddenly seems in sharp focus. Everything leads somewhere and it's a profound feeling of meaning and connectivity.

Or so I think, from what you have said.(edit:) If so, it's going to be more than just one function, although it is heavily Se based. I notice the strangest things at times, but that other side you describe - the clarity and meaning - is rare indeed.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
The signs bit is Se... but it sounds more like unification of different functions. To see what is and to see what it means at the same time is a total rush. The clarity, the world... it suddenly seems in sharp focus. Everything leads somewhere and it's a profound feeling of meaning and connectivity.

Or so I think, from what you have said.(edit:) If so, it's going to be more than just one function, although it is heavily Se based. I notice the strangest things at times, but that other side you describe - the clarity and meaning - is rare indeed.

I think that's what I mean. It was on the train and bus journey that I became aware of that sort of feeling. I was trying not to think too much about it at the time in case it disappeared. It was sensual, as annii says. There was a rush, and it was from noticing a certain kind of beauty and significance in everything around that I usually don't, and from thinking there's an extra source of pleasure in life that I never knew about. Usually I admire dramatic and atmospheric sights, that have light-dark contrasts or mists or clouds or woods with their air of mystery, but other than that they escape my notice.

I was also proud that I might actually start becoming aware of things that I really should be, like nearby locations and routes and where things are around my own house. That would make me much more efficient and confident. I don't have to always alternate between my own thoughts and connecting with other people. I can look out the window now and then. My head will also be a richer place to live for this, I feel. Perhaps that's where it comes from. At this stage of my life, it's time to start taking in the world afresh for Ni to work on, but without seeing it all merely as thought fodder. It's like I've gone back to early childhood, when there's an infinite amount to take in and you haven't begun to filter most of it out yet. It's purer. I feel purer. :)

This probably reads like a mid-life crisis, but it can't possibly be that yet. :D However, I have been getting used to not seeing myself as a child any more, which is quite a major life milestone. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm confused, isn't the world always like that all the time?

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
I'm confused, isn't the world always like that all the time?
Not for me. I notice just enough of my surroundings to keep alive and functioning adequately. That's not to say I'm disinterested in everything outside of myself, but important information is usually filtered down to its most basic workable form before it reaches my mind, e.g. That is bus stop > bus there now > Get off bus > Back to fantasy-land until something more inspiring goes on out there. And usually I don't automatically deem locations and names important, even though on conscious reflection I know they are.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Linda Berens booklet gives some good examples of using Se, but yes xNFJiminy, you are experiencing Se from this description below:
Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data.You are one with the experience. There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once. You may be drawn to experience more and more, seeking any variation that will intensely excite the senses. Writing that is richly descriptive can also evoke extraverted Sensing as can other mental stimulation. The process is momentary and tied to the events of the iminediate situation. It is used in the here and now and helps us know what is really there in the physical world and to adapt to it. Extraverted Sensing occurs when we scan for information that is relevant to our interests, then we mentally register data and facts such as baseball statistics, the locations of all the restaurants in town, or the names of all the actors in the popular television shows. There can be an active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Associated behaviors include eating a whole box of chocolates for the variety of tastes; playing an instrument for hours with pure enjoyment, not for practice; voracious reading or continual asking of questions to get specifics.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Linda Berens booklet gives some good examples of using Se, but yes xNFJiminy, you are experiencing Se from this description below:

Experiencing and noticing the physical world, scanning for visible reactions and relevant data.You are one with the experience. There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once. You may be drawn to experience more and more, seeking any variation that will intensely excite the senses. Writing that is richly descriptive can also evoke extraverted Sensing as can other mental stimulation. The process is momentary and tied to the events of the iminediate situation. It is used in the here and now and helps us know what is really there in the physical world and to adapt to it. Extraverted Sensing occurs when we scan for information that is relevant to our interests, then we mentally register data and facts such as baseball statistics, the locations of all the restaurants in town, or the names of all the actors in the popular television shows. There can be an active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Associated behaviors include eating a whole box of chocolates for the variety of tastes; playing an instrument for hours with pure enjoyment, not for practice; voracious reading or continual asking of questions to get specifics.

:shock:

Umm... I do things in the bolded words all the time...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
"There is no "naming" or describing - just pure, vivid experience. The whole scene comes into your awareness almost at once. You may be drawn to experience more and more, seeking any variation that will intensely excite the senses. Writing that is richly descriptive can also evoke extraverted Sensing as can other mental stimulation. The process is momentary and tied to the events of the iminediate situation. It is used in the here and now and helps us know what is really there in the physical world and to adapt to it."

I know I do this every time I experience the outside world. It can be problematic because I have everything stored in my mind as pictures and videos, but if I don't know the right labels, I can't communicate anything to people.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
Thanks "?"

Looking at that I think I used Se more as a child and pre-teen. Although my daydreaming problem was actually much worse then, I remember devoting longer amounts of time to that sort of thing as well. I'd read encyclopedias and draw for hours, and was a mine of detailed information about things that interested me - the animal kingdom and certain soap dramas at that time. It would make sense as at that age perceiving functions are probably in demand more than judging ones.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Se would be more like noticing how something looks, feels, or sounds, and not doing any further processing, just experiencing it "as is." I don't really enjoy that, but I can do it if I have to in order to accomplish something.
...voracious reading or continual asking of questions to get specifics. Se, like Ne or any other perceiving function does nothing if it does not process. This is no different than Ni or Si which are also perceiving functions. Contrary to the assertion, Se is more like Te because all SPs seek immediate impact (which usually gets confused with immediate gratification) which is the reason for the label of being hedonistic. ESTPs are similar to ENTJs, and ISTPs to INTJs, in that there must be a practical application of their processes.

wolfy

awsm
...voracious reading or continual asking of questions to get specifics. Se, like Ne or any other perceiving function does nothing if it does not process. This is no different than Ni or Si which are also perceiving functions. Contrary to the assertion, Se is more like Te because all SPs seek immediate impact (which usually gets confused with immediate gratification) which is the reason for the label of being hedonistic. ESTPs are similar to ENTJs, and ISTPs to INTJs, in that there must be a practical application of their processes.

The poster formally known as question mark isn't around anymore but I wonder whether it would follow that ISFP would be INFJ?

Not that I really know what that would mean. I'm curious though.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Britney spears circus concert is like a dream for Se. People complain that she doesnt give her all, there is so much going on I really didnt pay much attention to her.