• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs, do you forget...

Blackprince

MBTI Type
ENTP
In my personal experience, I have noticed that most of the ESTPs I know, over the course of their life, seem to have so many friends and ex-girl/boyfriends....

My question is: do you forget your exs- as soon as you move on?

This question is not about how quickly you move on.. BUT about which ones remain in your memory for a long time and why?

Are there some particular ex's you (will) always have a flame for (or pine for) and why (e.g. is it because of a great physical connection)?

Views and experiences from other SPs are very welcome... I would really appreciate some understanding here :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great question. Aside from them being extroverted and needing to extrovert, I think it's because they're very open-minded and open to possibilities. They think there is always something to learn from others or activities that they can do with others, if these things happen to come up. In the case of ESFPs, they think there is always emotions that can be shared with others and activities that they can do with others, if those happen come up.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My question is: do you forget your exs- as soon as you move on?

Forget = NO; If parting was non-destructive, certainly not. If parting was treacherous, then Forget = FOREVER. I'm capable of remaining friends with ex's once some water has flowed under the bridge. That's a sign of maturity if done the right way for the right reasons.

This question is not about how quickly you move on.. BUT about which ones remain in your memory for a long time and why?

Se above...

Are there some particular ex's you (will) always have a flame for (or pine for) and why (e.g. is it because of a great physical connection)?

If you're pining for someone you had better be with them, die trying to be, or do whatever is necessary to stay with them. If you pine for someone and you are with someone, that's a bad sign, IMHO.

:D

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I tend to forget about them for the most part once I've moved on from the relationship/crush. If the break-up seems to have come at a good stopping-place then there's generally no reason to look back. If I'm pining for someone I usually aggressively hunt them down or try to come up with some way to get with them; if it's unrequited I might be upset for a bit but I've learned to shut that off as soon as possible and move on. And yes, I usually forget about them after that just like I do with most people I'm not around very much.

If you're pining for someone you had better be with them, die trying to be, or do whatever is necessary to stay with them. If you pine for someone and you are with someone, that's a bad sign, IMHO.

AMEN, BROTHA!!!

If you're pining, you'd better be prepared to cross a thousand oceans for them. If not, forget about it, and if doing all that for them doesn't attract them, then forget about them. It's time to move on.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

If you're pining, you'd better be prepared to cross a thousand oceans for them. If not, forget about it, and if doing all that for them doesn't attract them, then forget about them. It's time to move on.

This is some of the best advice I've ever seen at Typec. Thank you! :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, of course I don't forget. I think you'd have to have some sort of brain damage to forget someone you have an actual relationship with.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Are we defining forgetting as not being able to remember or just not thinking about them for the most part?

Captain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2/7
I don't forget anyone who I really liked, regardless of how the relationship ended.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
No, of course I don't forget. I think you'd have to have some sort of brain damage to forget someone you have an actual relationship with.

Yep.

Are we defining forgetting as not being able to remember or just not thinking about them for the most part?

If it's not thinking about them, then yeah, I forget. I'm very "out of sight, out of mind"...

Blackprince

MBTI Type
ENTP

Thanks for the answers, guys.

I'm defining 'forget' in terms of... the way you forget say bout your primary school... So for me, I was once in primary school, but that was way back and I have no desire to revisit those memories.. for good or bad.... its water under the bridge.

This is as opposed to say, the way some people remember their university days... you definitely acknowledge you have moved on, but you can remember those days fondly... how young you were, the crazy things.... and occassionally 'pine' for those 'good old days' as they say.

If this helps, this explains what I mean by pining - of course, realistically you cant go back to uni.

For context, I ask because I know two ESTPs (100% STPs) very well... and although, both have moved on to other people, they both seem to have a hot-cold r'ship with one particular ex- of their's that they had a long r'ship with (no terrible break-up involved; just a move on). So I am trying to understand this hot-cold r'ship (by this I mean, they talk to them occassionally, but by and large, they seem to consider or act like these people are 'risky' to remain in contact with....)

So I am trying to understand wht they might be thinking....

In summary, ruling out a nasty break up, when is an ex- a risky proposition to stay in contact with?

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
If it's not thinking about them, then yeah, I forget. I'm very "out of sight, out of mind"...
Me too. I've disappointed and sometimes hurt people by just completely forgetting about them when they're not around...

I'm defining 'forget' in terms of... the way you forget say bout your primary school... So for me, I was once in primary school, but that was way back and I have no desire to revisit those memories.. for good or bad.... its water under the bridge.

This is as opposed to say, the way some people remember their university days... you definitely acknowledge you have moved on, but you can remember those days fondly... how young you were, the crazy things.... and occassionally 'pine' for those 'good old days' as they say.

If this helps, this explains what I mean by pining - of course, realistically you cant go back to uni.
Well for me I've forgotten about elementary school because it doesn't have relevance to me anymore. I would definitely relive those days, though.

I never went to university but I get the idea. I don't know if I ever 'pine' for days past enough to say that I long for them because I'm so caught up in my enjoyment of the present. I guess I could say that I wouldn't mind reliving the high school days when I would go to all the local punk shows but I can just as well have awesome experiences like that in the present, which I plan on doing.

So... yeah and no? Those days were fun just like the girls I've been involved with are worth looking back upon fondly but really, I've moved on. And it's not really a gradual thing, either, it's pretty much on/off. If I'm pining for someone, I give them my all. If it's unrequited, I can become depressed for a bit until I eventually do something to shake it off, and then I'm good as new, not even thinking about the person anymore.

For context, I ask because I know two ESTPs (100% STPs) very well... and although, both have moved on to other people, they both seem to have a hot-cold r'ship with one particular ex- of their's that they had a long r'ship with (no terrible break-up involved; just a move on). So I am trying to understand this hot-cold r'ship (by this I mean, they talk to them occassionally, but by and large, they seem to consider or act like these people are 'risky' to remain in contact with....)

So I am trying to understand wht they might be thinking....

In summary, ruling out a nasty break up, when is an ex- a risky proposition to stay in contact with?
Did you ask them why they felt they were risky to keep in contact with? Probly because they could easily be wooed back? I don't understand how that would be risky, though. Do these exes have new partners who might get jealous?

I have no problem keeping in touch with girls from the past, though I haven't very much.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, there's one ex I am forced to stay in contact with, because we have a child together and she has visitation rights.

I don't talk to any of my other exes, but I do sometimes think about them and wonder what could have been. I don't really think of it as "pining" though, because it's not like I'm spending many hours of the day thinking about them or something. It's just kind of a passing thought sometimes, or sometimes they show up in my dreams randomly.

Blackprince

MBTI Type
ENTP
Did you ask them why they felt they were risky to keep in contact with? Probly because they could easily be wooed back? I don't understand how that would be risky, though. Do these exes have new partners who might get jealous?

I have no problem keeping in touch with girls from the past, though I haven't very much.

Well, I'm the one that assumed that its becos it is risky that they do not want to keep in proper contact.... that seemed to be the only explanation I could come up with...

The ESTP girl is now married and her ex- is also married.... so to me, it seemed a straight-forward case where they could have stayed friends... But the ESTP girl seems to be undecided about whether to continue being friends or not.... the exact same scenario with the second person, except the ESTP is the guy....

Based on what you are saying.. it appears its simply a case of you guys moving on truely..... hence, my initial question... do you guys really just move on then, regardless of whatever was shared in the past?

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Oh, then it's just a case of not wanting to light an old flame back up again. We're very prone to temptation, we SPs, and if we're wise we simply close old doors so that we're not enticed into walking back through them again, because we know how prone to our impulses we are and how caught up in the moment we can get.

And rather than shut off that part of our personality (and thus give up any hope of enjoying life again) we'd rather just make it easy and close a door or two (even if it means weakening or even pruning a relationship) so that we can just go on being swept away by life as usual.

Make sense?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ESFP best friend Shorty, she dated a guy back in 8th grade (he was in 10th I think). He found us at FB before he found her, and when we told her he was there, the most hilarious conversation ensued because she couldn't remember WHY she'd broken up with him. Or if he broke up with her. Or most anything about that relationship. LOL We were both bent double laughing because it was so "????!!!???!!"

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
My ESFP best friend Shorty, she dated a guy back in 8th grade (he was in 10th I think). He found us at FB before he found her, and when we told her he was there, the most hilarious conversation ensued because she couldn't remember WHY she'd broken up with him. Or if he broke up with her. Or most anything about that relationship. LOL We were both bent double laughing because it was so "????!!!???!!"

Wow, that's off the charts hilarious. hahaha.

Blackprince

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh, then it's just a case of not wanting to light an old flame back up again. We're very prone to temptation, we SPs, and if we're wise we simply close old doors so that we're not enticed into walking back through them again, because we know how prone to our impulses we are and how caught up in the moment we can get.

And rather than shut off that part of our personality (and thus give up any hope of enjoying life again) we'd rather just make it easy and close a door or two (even if it means weakening or even pruning a relationship) so that we can just go on being swept away by life as usual.

Make sense?

Perfect sense!