User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default SP's how aware of your surroundings are you?

I have an ISFP roommate, and I find myself wondering if it's even remotely possible to be in the same room as him and do something without him noticing, even if his back's turned.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Very - if I'm paying attention.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Very - if I'm paying attention.
    Do you catch people looking at you out of the corner of your eye?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Most of the time i'm quite aware. Yes, I can see someone looking at me from the corner of my eye if its quiet and i'm not talking to someone. Sometimes even when i'm talking to someone I can

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I see and hear everything. I catch anything that drops near me, even if my hands are full, even if it's wet. I am very tacticle.

I helped my friend install a 60" LCD TV at his house earlier today. After we lifted it up, tilted it, and dropped it into place up high in a cabinet, I crawled up and pushed it to the side with a little flashlight in my hands and hooked up all the wires like a monkey. He cracked up!

your resident asshole

SP's see everything!

>.>

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFob View Post
    I have an ISFP roommate, and I find myself wondering if it's even remotely possible to be in the same room as him and do something without him noticing, even if his back's turned.
    Does that make you feel like you are practically continuously on display and like you don't have any privacy? I've been around an ISTP who made me feel like that.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    Does that make you feel like you are practically continuously on display and like you don't have any privacy? I've been around an ISTP who made me feel like that.
    It makes me feel a little weird that my roommate's always aware of my movements.

MBTI
    ISTP

I hear and see everything, and my brain brings the relevant things to my attention. If I am sleeping and you make the slightest sound moving near me (and I mean you might not have even heard it), I automatically wake up for a moment, open my eyes, decide if you are something I should care about or not. If the answer is no, immediately sound asleep again, with a very vague recollection of it the next morning. If the answer is yes, I am wide awake instantly.

In short, your answer is no, if he's anything like we ISTPs are. The only good news for you, is that he isn't consciously paying attention to you, and unless you're doing something of concern (that sets off his "radar") he won't "notice" in the typical sense. I would strongly advise against pranks/attempting to scare though.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not an SP, but I will say that I'm actually very aware of my surroundings. Which is one of the reasons that I need fairly quiet environments with a minimum of distracting movements and noise. I notice EVERY LITTLE SOUND, and it can get annoying. I end up shouting at people sometimes, "Hey, stop that racket! I can't think with all that noise you're making!" And then they'll say, "But all I did was throw an empty cola can on top of another one!" Yeah, it gets especially bad at night for some reason.

Oh, and there's another one I do. I see someone suddenly going to grab something within my field of view, and I start going, "What are you going to do? Why are you touching that? Be careful not to mess with it too much, I might need it for something later."

Of course it's even funnier when I see people doing something outside their normal routine, I go, "What are you going to do, and why are you doing it?" I'd probably make a good security guard, LOL.

I have noticed that I really only do this in my own home, though. I think it's got something to do with the fact that I'm more "in my mind" at home, and resent the intrusion of any external stimuli. If I'm focused on doing something rather than thinking, like I typically am in public, I still notice but it's not as much of a problem.

I imagine that if inferior Se makes me that aware of my surroundings in a negative, paranoid way... SPs should not only be aware, but have a more refined, comfortable awareness.