• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's how aware of your surroundings are you?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The next istp to notice that the slit of my jeans is open and one can see my wiener being already on the verge of saying hello and then (now comes the important part) to announce it with loud words so everyone in the room can hear it:

I am gonna kill with my bare hands :D

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The next istp to notice that the slit of my jeans is open and one can see my wiener being already on the verge of saying hello and then (now comes the important part) to announce it with loud words so everyone in the room can hear it:

I am gonna kill with my bare hands :D

Hahaha... hilarious. That's actually one of my pet peeves too. I can't stand it when people announce things that could be potentially embarrassing for someone. Like, was it really necessary to announce that Joe had a pimple in the middle of his forehead? Joe knows. Hell, everyone in the room knows. So why, for the love of God, did it need to be announced?

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
haha, that sounds more like something an ESXP would do, admittedly, but without realizing it. My ISTP coworker would be the more likely one to whisper something like that. I think by talking, though.

Case in point: I made a joke about being a mooch since I had sat next to some people specifically to get a bit of food from them. ISTP dude acted like I was talking about another dude, though, (probably since nine times out of ten I'm the one sharing my own food) who mooches alot (and seems to be an ESTP as well). He eventually compared him to a vulture.

So later on moocher dude walks in and starts circling our table which has several items of food on it a couple times. I said, "There's the vulture!" and he just stopped and looked at me with a squinty questioning eye. I said, "Well you're circling the table..." And he nodded in understanding and went on his way.

ISTP guy later said when I made that statement he was like, "wow, I wouldn't have said that in front of him," and demonstrated how tense that made him. I just cracked up hardcore and said I'm just confident I can always redeem myself later.

Later on moocher dude started handing out all kinds of snacks to everyone, and ISTP dude was like, "I think it's probably because of what you said... but you know what's sad? It's too late to reverse that impresson." I chuckled and he said with his usual wide-eyed look of sincerity, "I know. It's sad but it's true."

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
haha, that sounds more like something an ESXP would do, admittedly, but without realizing it. My ISTP coworker would be the more likely one to whisper something like that. I think by talking, though.

Case in point: I made a joke about being a mooch since I had sat next to some people specifically to get a bit of food from them. ISTP dude acted like I was talking about another dude, though, (probably since nine times out of ten I'm the one sharing my own food) who mooches alot (and seems to be an ESTP as well). He eventually compared him to a vulture.

So later on moocher dude walks in and starts circling our table which has several items of food on it a couple times. I said, "There's the vulture!" and he just stopped and looked at me with a squinty questioning eye. I said, "Well you're circling the table..." And he nodded in understanding and went on his way.

ISTP guy later said when I made that statement he was like, "wow, I wouldn't have said that in front of him," and demonstrated how tense that made him. I just cracked up hardcore and said I'm just confident I can always redeem myself later.

Later on moocher dude started handing out all kinds of snacks to everyone, and ISTP dude was like, "I think it's probably because of what you said... but you know what's sad? It's too late to reverse that impresson." I chuckled and he said with his usual wide-eyed look of sincerity, "I know. It's sad but it's true."

That sounds ISTP.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I have no idea if this is weird for an SP or not, but I'm only intensely aware of my environment when I sit still. When that happens, I notice EVERYTHING. If I'm walking down a street, or wherever, it's the complete opposite... I disappear into my own little world. People have claimed walking by me and waving and get frustrated that I don't notice them. My own personal theory (no idea if it's right or wrong :p) is that my environment is moving too fast that I'm just kinda taking it all in instead of paying attention to detail
I do my best thinking when I'm running alone, and that's usually the only time when I shut things out. On the other hand, if I'm running/walking/driving in a crowded area I'm very aware and constantly weaving around the slowpokes.

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm an ISTP, so I am aware more so than others. It happens to be true in practice as well.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
That sounds ISTP.
What does, my actions or his?

I do my best thinking when I'm running alone, and that's usually the only time when I shut things out. On the other hand, if I'm running/walking/driving in a crowded area I'm very aware and constantly weaving around the slowpokes.
Yep, I've always been ingenious at weaving around people. I used to get props from an ISTP friend (I'm pretty sure that's his type) because if I ever left the front of the crowd near the stage at a show I could always easily come right back. It's partially because I have no scruples. haha. :D

I'm an ISTP, so I am aware more so than others. It happens to be true in practice as well.
Yeah, my ISTP coworker has kinda ragged on me a little for zoning out sometimes (due to boredom). Then he admitted he does it sometimes too because work is such a dreadful place to be sometimes. He even said sometimes he'll randomly think he's at home (which I couldn't even imagine). I guess the job really wears on him.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Oh yeah, haha. He definitely is very ISTP. He's flamboyant around us and spontaneous but at the same time very careful and methodical. It's been interesting to watch the actions of a confirmed ISTP. I never really understood how the combination of careful introversion worked with a spontaneous zeal for experiencing life worked out until I got to know him real well.

It makes sense when I realize, though, that he really only holds himself back when it comes to social situations, whereas that's where I plow full steam ahead. He's full throttle when it comes to physical movements, though. He has a definite grace. (I recently watched him twirl around a pole as he leapt into the air and kicked a line of carts out of the cart stall. I had never seen him do anything quite like that before - that was on the same night as the story I posted earlier.) I'm just a tad bit less skilled, although pretty talented, but when it comes to dealing with people I have to say I'm naturally smooth. So subtle people usually never catch what I'm doing. I'm amazed how easy it is to act sincere and get away with it...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yeah, haha. He definitely is very ISTP. He's flamboyant around us and spontaneous but at the same time very careful and methodical. It's been interesting to watch the actions of a confirmed ISTP. I never really understood how the combination of careful introversion worked with a spontaneous zeal for experiencing life worked out until I got to know him real well.

It makes sense when I realize, though, that he really only holds himself back when it comes to social situations, whereas that's where I plow full steam ahead. He's full throttle when it comes to physical movements, though. He has a definite grace. (I recently watched him twirl around a pole as he leapt into the air and kicked a line of carts out of the cart stall. I had never seen him do anything quite like that before - that was on the same night as the story I posted earlier.) I'm just a tad bit less skilled, although pretty talented, but when it comes to dealing with people I have to say I'm naturally smooth. So subtle people usually never catch what I'm doing. I'm amazed how easy it is to act sincere and get away with it...

The grace thing seems to be noticable. I have had someone ask me before if I was ever in martial arts because of the way I move. I didnt quite understand how I move that would make him say that.

I remember working at discount tire and for fun me and someone else who may have been ISTP used to bounce screw drivers back and forth when things got slow. We could throw it towards the ground so that the plastic head hit the ground and it would bounce to the other person. When using the machines I was also the one who would spin the bars, flip them up in the air and make it seem easy. Pop tires up with my feet, etc. If you watch me put away a credit card at a gas station I twirl it with my fingers to get it into the correct position to put it away.

I dont have that smoothness with people at all. I get to nervous, its like I assume that everyone else is Ti and can spot logical inconsistencies with ease and catch on.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread depresses me. Do I need to revoke my SP card??

I'm oblivious pretty much all the time, unless I'm actively trying to pay attention to the world (and then I'm ok).

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm oblivious pretty much all the time, unless I'm actively trying to pay attention to the world (and then I'm ok).

Haha... don't worry, I have a -ton- of space cadet moments. Usually when I'm using Ti + Ni.. which is actually pretty frequent :huh:

B

brainheart

I can feel and hear someone's breath change and know they must be looking at me. Sometimes I will turn down my external sensing if I have something I'm really focused on. Otherwise I would never get anything done. But it's always there, on low hum... You'd have to be exceedingly subtle to get past me. Often I'll pretend not to notice, but I notice.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
The grace thing seems to be noticable. I have had someone ask me before if I was ever in martial arts because of the way I move. I didnt quite understand how I move that would make him say that.

I remember working at discount tire and for fun me and someone else who may have been ISTP used to bounce screw drivers back and forth when things got slow. We could throw it towards the ground so that the plastic head hit the ground and it would bounce to the other person. When using the machines I was also the one who would spin the bars, flip them up in the air and make it seem easy. Pop tires up with my feet, etc. If you watch me put away a credit card at a gas station I twirl it with my fingers to get it into the correct position to put it away.

I dont have that smoothness with people at all. I get to nervous, its like I assume that everyone else is Ti and can spot logical inconsistencies with ease and catch on.
Yep, that's the way he is. And I have to admit, I could be a little more modest about my ability to handle physical objects, because sometimes I'm a bit careless and clumsy, but a good part of the time I'm really good at steering objects in just such a way to narrowly avoid things and especially good at walking around obstacles and people. Last night I was stocking lightning-fast, I amazed my coworkers. But I'm nowhere as good as my ISTP coworker.

No, I can see that. As long as you're activity-centered I'd say you're still SP. An SP can be really focused and intent on just what they're doing, we all have the ability (especially STPs I think?) to zone everything else out if we want to, and you just might be in the habit of doing that. I used to be pretty oblivious, too.

I can feel and hear someone's breath change and know they must be looking at me. Sometimes I will turn down my external sensing if I have something I'm really focused on. Otherwise I would never get anything done. But it's always there, on low hum... You'd have to be exceedingly subtle to get past me. Often I'll pretend not to notice, but I notice.
Yep, exactly.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

I definitely zone out a bunch, especially when driving. I mean, I see the cars that are immediately important and if I need to pass or anything, I count cars pretty well and I can probably tell you at any time if someone is coming up behind me in the other lane or if there's anyone next to me in my blind spot. I couldn't tell you anything about the cars or if there are cops ahead tho...

I'm pretty good at tuning people out at work too (cubicles, yay neighbors). There are a couple of folks that have the uncanny ability to make my ears perk up when they speak. Holy crap...that's annoying. Makes the hair on my back stand on end.

However....
Sometimes I'm ridiculously aware of everything around me. For instance when I go into a new room or building, especially a friend's abode... I notice all kinds of things! One of my friends had a little bottle of KY on his desk in his bedroom. Another had a girl over (they'd been friends for awhile) and her bra was in the living room... :laugh: I was at a friend's house watching tv with him on the couch and I was VERY aware of his arm being near mine. I could feel the heat radiating from him. It was just THERE. Actually, any tv watching on the couch with other people leads to them being THERE. Sometimes it's all I can think about (especially if its TV I've already seen or some movie/show I've lost interest in). When I go to dinner with a group of people, I'm very aware of legs under the table - so as not to accidentally play footsie with anyone! The list goes on...

PTP

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xNTP
Paying attention or not.

Everything just catches my attention...everything little nuance...everything little sound...every step...every breath...every sigh...

If you were in a room with me, I would have to be fully immersed in some kind of individual activity (that isn't the computer.) in order to not know what you're doing. This applies whether I'm looking at you, near you, or have my back turned towards you.

Even if I was fully immersed, I probably unconsciously knew what you were up to. ;)

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely makes sense. I think some ISTPs (don't know how widespread it is) can tend to seem autistic at times. I used to be like a little ISTP when I was a kid because I didn't have much interaction with others. But I think I was more aware then, too. Hm, I dunno. Maybe it's just a matter of being way more focused than other types.

So I all of a sudden remembered this post and thought I'd comment. When I said earlier that I zone out when I'm walking/driving around, everything in my environment does become objects, kind of like what you're referring to. That's probably why if I'm zoned out, I don't recognize faces around me. Interesting. :D So yeah, ISTPs might appear autistic at times, but I think Ti does treat things in their environment as objects occasionally.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:laugh: I was at a friend's house watching tv with him on the couch and I was VERY aware of his arm being near mine. I could feel the heat radiating from him. It was just THERE. Actually, any tv watching on the couch with other people leads to them being THERE. Sometimes it's all I can think about (especially if its TV I've already seen or some movie/show I've lost interest in). When I go to dinner with a group of people, I'm very aware of legs under the table - so as not to accidentally play footsie with anyone! The list goes on...
Oh that's a good point, that's one thing I'm very not oblivious about. Personal space thing, I guess. The only time I'm not as aware is when I know the people near me very, very well. Which is usually (always) when we're dating.

As a side note I'm particularly bad with people, I'll either not see people or not recognize their face (I have an unusually hard time with that, I think). Because I'm either thinking or looking at non-people things, or watching people but rarely faces. So I get the rep of being a spacecase pretty quickly.

I'm still pretty sure I'm SP, I'm just a weird spacey one with pretty much no Se. I just prefer it to Ne by a bunch.

RogueAgent

MBTI Type
ISTP
I have had many many coworkers tell me to "make some noise when you walk!" after I accidentally scared them. I have a quiet step I guess. Scare my wife all the time. I would say 25% purposeful :devil: . I am very observant when I am not too preoccupied or rushed. If I step outside to let the dog relieve herself then I notice a ton of things in quick succession; if the moon is out or not, whether I hear any ambient noise, is it warm or cool, what does the air smell like right now, etc. If I am trying to get somewhere fast or am preoccupied with a conversation or problem, I still notice alot, but it is more of a background task then.

RogueAgent

MBTI Type
ISTP
I can tell if an analog monitor is set to 65hz or less. I can hear if my surround sounds dynamic compression is on. I can see DLP rainbow effect easily as well as yellow ghosting on my plasma. My wife does't see or hear these things. I have a headphone.com Total Bithead USB headphone DAC/Amp and if I am using the usb power rather than battery I can hear a slight buzz when I scroll the mouse wheel. A lot of other people I know can't/don't/won't see or hear these things even after I point them out and even if they do see or hear these things after I point them out, they aren't bothered. I am bothered by them alot, lol.