• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's how aware of your surroundings are you?

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have an ISFP roommate, and I find myself wondering if it's even remotely possible to be in the same room as him and do something without him noticing, even if his back's turned.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Very - if I'm paying attention.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most of the time i'm quite aware. Yes, I can see someone looking at me from the corner of my eye if its quiet and i'm not talking to someone. Sometimes even when i'm talking to someone I can

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see and hear everything. I catch anything that drops near me, even if my hands are full, even if it's wet. I am very tacticle.

I helped my friend install a 60" LCD TV at his house earlier today. After we lifted it up, tilted it, and dropped it into place up high in a cabinet, I crawled up and pushed it to the side with a little flashlight in my hands and hooked up all the wires like a monkey. :D He cracked up! :rofl1:

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have an ISFP roommate, and I find myself wondering if it's even remotely possible to be in the same room as him and do something without him noticing, even if his back's turned.

Does that make you feel like you are practically continuously on display and like you don't have any privacy? I've been around an ISTP who made me feel like that.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Does that make you feel like you are practically continuously on display and like you don't have any privacy? I've been around an ISTP who made me feel like that.
It makes me feel a little weird that my roommate's always aware of my movements.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I hear and see everything, and my brain brings the relevant things to my attention. If I am sleeping and you make the slightest sound moving near me (and I mean you might not have even heard it), I automatically wake up for a moment, open my eyes, decide if you are something I should care about or not. If the answer is no, immediately sound asleep again, with a very vague recollection of it the next morning. If the answer is yes, I am wide awake instantly.

In short, your answer is no, if he's anything like we ISTPs are. The only good news for you, is that he isn't consciously paying attention to you, and unless you're doing something of concern (that sets off his "radar") he won't "notice" in the typical sense. I would strongly advise against pranks/attempting to scare though.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not an SP, but I will say that I'm actually very aware of my surroundings. Which is one of the reasons that I need fairly quiet environments with a minimum of distracting movements and noise. I notice EVERY LITTLE SOUND, and it can get annoying. I end up shouting at people sometimes, "Hey, stop that racket! I can't think with all that noise you're making!" And then they'll say, "But all I did was throw an empty cola can on top of another one!" Yeah, it gets especially bad at night for some reason.

Oh, and there's another one I do. I see someone suddenly going to grab something within my field of view, and I start going, "What are you going to do? Why are you touching that? Be careful not to mess with it too much, I might need it for something later."

Of course it's even funnier when I see people doing something outside their normal routine, I go, "What are you going to do, and why are you doing it?" I'd probably make a good security guard, LOL.

I have noticed that I really only do this in my own home, though. I think it's got something to do with the fact that I'm more "in my mind" at home, and resent the intrusion of any external stimuli. If I'm focused on doing something rather than thinking, like I typically am in public, I still notice but it's not as much of a problem.

I imagine that if inferior Se makes me that aware of my surroundings in a negative, paranoid way... SPs should not only be aware, but have a more refined, comfortable awareness.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You see me and i'm always looking around,
(noise) looks towards noise
(movement) looks towards movement
(someone faints) notices first

Yea, sometimes a bit hyperaware. Like a newborn puppy.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You see me and i'm always looking around,
(noise) looks towards noise
(movement) looks towards movement
(someone faints) notices first

Yea, sometimes a bit hyperaware. Like a newborn puppy.

I hear everything, but instead of looking I generally bring it in and process it. I dont always look. I listen to pretty much everything and as long as I am not in my head I see everything.

This makes me think of my mom. She is always telling me to be careful when I do things physically. I dont think she knows what its like to be completely aware of your surroundings.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've said it before, but the only two times I've fainted/passed out, an ISTP caught me. Freaks!

I didn't even know I was going to faint but they did! FREAKS!

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've said it before, but the only two times I've fainted/passed out, an ISTP caught me. Freaks!

I didn't even know I was going to faint but they did! FREAKS!

Hmmm.... fainting and then being caught by an ISTP. I could go for that. :wubbie:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That brings up an age-old question.

If an ENFJ faints in the forest,
will an ISTP still catch them?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm.... fainting and then being caught by an ISTP. I could go for that. :wubbie:

This one was a giant redheaded physicist-bouncer rapidly fussing at me for scaring him while shoveling my limp person into the car. Very unromantic! I blame France!

That brings up an age-old question.

If an ENFJ faints in the forest,
will an ISTP still catch them?

If I'm in a forest, I'm going to faint. Darn you, pollen! I blame France!

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Yea they do see a lot of what's going on physically and at the present moment. Very useful in certain situations, they might help you avoid crashing your car and shit, it's a good idea to carpool with one.

wolfy

awsm
Last night on my way home from work I stopped so a cricket could cross the road. I do that catch thing too and seeing you out of the corner of my eye but...

When I'm on, I'm on. When I'm off, I'm off.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And when you're off, the crickets chirp in terror as you mercilessly plow over them with your car/bicycle/wolfymobile.