User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default ISTPs and Rambling

Is it me or do ISTPs not talk all that often, and when they do, it's rambling?
    I know only two ISTPs, and they both do this. My dad, for example, will be perfectly content just sitting there silent. If I ask him something about math or psychology (two things he's always reading about) then he will talk about it. Forever. And ever. Even if he can clearly see that I'm or others around me are getting bored/annoyed. Thus, I refrain from asking him too many questions.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Could this apply to the ESTP too?
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by girlnamedbless View Post
    I know only two ISTPs, and they both do this. My dad, for example, will be perfectly content just sitting there silent. If I ask him something about math or psychology (two things he's always reading about) then he will talk about it. Forever. And ever. Even if he can clearly see that I'm or others around me are getting bored/annoyed. Thus, I refrain from asking him too many questions.

I don't know but I find it interesting that you know an ISTP interested in those subjects.

MBTI
    INTP

I think the same thing applies to the INTPs also.
    The INTPs are even more boring.

I left the INTPc for that reason.
    Boring, boring. boring.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    I don't know but I find it interesting that you know an ISTP interested in those subjects.
    The guy I hang out with the most is an ISTP. We get along well because we both like philosophy, psychology, and a variety of other Nerd Things and we both share a similar desire to use this knowledge to practical ends.

And yes, he does indeed ramble, but so do I. Another point on which we are similar.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have seen IxTP both do this naturally. Once the Ti process gets going, especially if there is a lack of Fe (where they are tuned into the response of the people around them), they can ramble on and on about something they've excited about.

But like Mycroft alludes to, it is certainly not confined to IxTP. All types can 'ramble' to some degree. ISFJs tend to ramble about the details of their day. ENxPs tend to ramble about the possibilities they see. And so on.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I ramble as much as any of my ISTP friends. It is pretty rare to find someone who is (or at least seems) interested in what I am interested in. It's a chance to let the little professor inside me do his thing.

Are you sure it is clear to him that everyone around him is bored/annoyed?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Just get my dad (ISTP, I think) started on politics . . . oy!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

my dad (INFP) when there is someone who is actually going to listen to what he has to say...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have seen IxTP both do this naturally. Once the Ti process gets going, especially if there is a lack of Fe (where they are tuned into the response of the people around them), they can ramble on and on about something they've excited about.
    I find that absolutely adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have seen IxTP both do this naturally. Once the Ti But like Mycroft alludes to, it is certainly not confined to IxTP. All types can 'ramble' to some degree. ISFJs tend to ramble about the details of their day. ENxPs tend to ramble about the possibilities they see. And so on.
    Maybe it's easier to start with 'what types ramble the least?' I can't think of one presently. It's all context based - where do you ramble?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTJ

Yes, it's a question of interest in your topic of conversation and generally applies more to T's who may be less willing in making small talk (they care less about social bonding). It's a stereotypical male thing too.