• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Difference Between ISTP And ISFP

LilKimmie

Well my Question is why there more ISTP than ISFP and wats the difference between them o_o i dont understand much about it

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me it seems like with ISTP things are judged internally more on a logical basis. I can convince myself that something is morally acceptable, usually this is to see others point of view.

For ISTP the issues arise when the situation comes up and Fi takes over and logic goes out the window. I have had a few occasions where I cant override Fi, no matter how much logic or want I have I physically cannot override Fi. This is where my morals/ethics show up and take hold and will not let go. This rarely ever happens and I crash when it does. Maybe an ISFP spends alot more time understanding this area or morals.

warm8

MBTI Type
ESFP
For ISTP the issues arise when the situation comes up and Fi takes over and logic goes out the window. I have had a few occasions where I cant override Fi, no matter how much logic or want I have I physically cannot override Fi. This is where my morals/ethics show up and take hold and will not let go. This rarely ever happens and I crash when it does. Maybe an ISFP spends alot more time understanding this area or morals.

do you mean ISFP there? I definitely agree in that Fi is one powerful motherfucker.

easiest way for me to tell if they're ISFP or ISTP is just by how they treat people. ISFPs, I've found, are usually more timid and gentle :cheese: not saying ISTPs are bad or anything, I think they can just give and take criticism a lot easier than ISFPs can.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
do you mean ISFP there? I definitely agree in that Fi is one powerful motherfucker.

easiest way for me to tell if they're ISFP or ISTP is just by how they treat people. ISFPs, I've found, are usually more timid and gentle :cheese: not saying ISTPs are bad or anything, I think they can just give and take criticism a lot easier than ISFPs can.

I did mean ISTP, I just wanted to point out that an ISTP does have Fi somewhere in there. Its just we have a huge dominance for Ti that Fi rarely does show its head.

Shy is about the only portion of timid that I have.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can tell you with men and with myself I am very T, but around women my F comes out. My wife will jump on me with how blunt I am around males. Its almost like I have very little sympathy for men, they should be able to take it, but with women I tend to be alot more gentle.

I was talking with my wife and was saying how I thought it was funny that men say women are emotional, yet men blow up with anger as easy or easier than women get hurt. To me thats just as emotional as women, just hidden with a manly emotion of "anger". My initial response to everything is to figure out what happened logically. If I can figure out logically everything is good. I rationalize alot when it comes to feelings so I can logically understand what is expected of me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Definitely one of external behavioral differences. ISFPs are quietly warm on the interpersonal level and will often go out of their way to do small things for the people they love; while ISTPs can still be friendly, they are more detached by nature and seem more autonomous in their presentation. Many ISFPs seem to putter around more (dabbling in things) to explore it, the ISTP seems more focused/directed on specific tasks (jumping in to full intensity) due to the less personal T style.

(Similarly, compare INTP to INFP.)

R

Riva

compare Wolverine (always pissed off and unfriendly) to Michael Jackson (awkward and gay), then you'll get the picture.

ps - Jennifer's post is more theoretical, mine is just better.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a cousin/best friend that is an ISFP. She admits she takes everything personally when she doesn't want to. She strives to be more objective (Te as an aspirational role), while I strive to be more of a "people person" (Fe as an aspirational role). We both council each other on areas we're struggling with, and you can hear the difference between us just by our words. I'll say things like "You have to try and shrug that off..." or "Well, logically, this should happen..." or like recently, when I was giving her advice on how to approach a professor regarding a project she was worried she was going to fail. I said things like "have something to say before you go, and make sure you don't use any excuses...they hate that. And try to figure out which areas she's going to point out that are lacking, and show her that you know what you did wrong, and make a point on how you would improve it."

When she councils me, they're almost always within relationships I have with people. I'll tell her a story and she'll go: "Now, Steph, can't you why he/she would act that way When you did that? But I agree, I think you did the right thing here..." She points things out in a moral perspective, but is always encouraging and always "on my side." She always has really awesome "people insights."

Which is another point to make... ISFPs will almost always try to make their words to support you, whereas an ISTP will be more objective and maybe even play devil's advocate.

R

Riva

whereas an ISTP will be more objective and maybe even play devil's advocate.

ISTPs do it without knowing it and without hoping to.
on the otherhand INTJs and ENTPs (especially) play the objective devil's advocate (INTJ) and playful (fe) devil's advocate (ENTP) purposely.

But ISTPs on the other hand has Fe as their inferior function and therefor plays (not exactly plays but implements) the devil's advocate without really knowing that they are doing it.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
on the otherhand INTJs and ENTPs (especially) play the objective devil's advocate (INTJ) and playful (fe) devil's advocate (ENTP) purposely.

But ISTPs on the other hand has Fe as their inferior function and therefor plays (not exactly plays but implements) the devil's advocate without really knowing that they are doing it.

Well, I suppose I never claimed to be awesome at "playing devil's advocate." I was just making a point that ISTPs will be more objective than ISFPs when advising people rather than just showing constant support. :huh:

phoenity

Interesting that you say this.

I present alternative viewpoints without ever intending to play "devil's advocate".

It's just blunt objectivity.

It's just me saying how I see things, providing an alternative viewpoint that may not have been considered yet.

There's never any personal implications, because I don't have a reason to get personal.

It's never my intention to influence the things people do or the choices they make, because I don't see myself as an authority, expert, or leader.

I just say it how I see it and tell you what I might do. That doesn't mean that's best for you.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
ISTPS and ISFPS are very similar in alot of ways. With me and my ISFP friend he usually gets very emotional "with the crowed" in intense situations. I tend to always stay detached from the crowed and remain objective. For example during our soccer playoffs it was last game and we were losing 1-0. Everyone kept yelling each other at the bench to score pass or whatever to get the goal in, it was a very emotional last 5 minutes. My ISFP friend got very emotional at this moment while I stayed relaxed calm, as I knew the pressure from the team would hinder our chances of scoring. I swam against the tide of emotional anguish and sensed how peoples emotions were affecting the game on the other hand, the pressure ultimately got to him. I think that's the difference right there between ISFPs and ISTPS, I think ISTPS have the ability to remain calm even under stressful situations. ISFPS tend to be affected by peoples emotions at the moment.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting that you say this.

I present alternative viewpoints without ever intending to play "devil's advocate".

It's just blunt objectivity.

It's just me saying how I see things, providing an alternative viewpoint that may not have been considered yet.

There's never any personal implications, because I don't have a reason to get personal.

It's never my intention to influence the things people do or the choices they make, because I don't see myself as an authority, expert, or leader.

I just say it how I see it and tell you what I might do. That doesn't mean that's best for you.

Thats not really devils advocate though. Its arguing or going against what you believe or think just for the sake of putting it out there. It can be used to show that you have acually taken the opposing view point into consideration and makes you come across as being better informed.

I use devils advocate just to get more insight into what the other person thinks. There are alot of ways it can be used. I do it, but not with the intention of doing it. Its kinda natural and comes out as a questioning to see if they thought about the other side of things. Certain types hate this though because it causes confusion when they thought they had a solution.

phoenity

Thats not really devils advocate though. Its arguing or going against what you believe or think just for the sake of putting it out there. It can be used to show that you have acually taken the opposing view point into consideration and makes you come across as being better informed.

Right.

And that was my point.

I don't propose opposing viewpoints solely for the sake of argument - that would be intentionally playing devil's advocate, debating for the sake of debating, testing the validity of the original viewpoint, trying to force others to see the logical inconsistencies in their argument. Essentially it's trying to prove that you're right or that others are wrong.

My ENTP friend is ALL about trying to make others see that his argument is logically correct and others are not. He gets off on being "right". I have no interest in that.

I don't care to argue with people, as I have no desire or intention of influencing the decisions people make.

Why? Because I detest when people try to do it to me.

Just as you said, I ask questions because my desire it to understand how that person arrived at their current viewpoint. If I can understand how they got there, then I can think about and discuss how I would have arrived at that viewpoint, and in doing that perhaps they may look at their situation from a perspective they didn't see before.

I see what I do as simply providing food for thought. You can eat that food if you want, and it wouldn't bother me if you said you didn't like it and threw it away.

LilKimmie

Well...from all the information I just read , I guess i understand it somehow
So ISFP are more sensitive,feel others emotions more and can be affected easily but an ISTP can control themselves more than ISFP ?? if i'm not wrong?? well i dont know how to reply to , too many posts but thanks for the information though o.o now i kinda understand about it more

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All I know is that for every 1000 people that call me an ISTP, 5 may speculate that I could be an ISFP.

Clearly there's some kind of difference.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think anyone would type me as ISFP. My t is extremely strong, but it doesn't mean I don't care any less then an ISFP, I just use a different method of focus in my caring and my in life.