User Tag List

123 Last

Default Difference Between ISTP And ISFP

Well my Question is why there more ISTP than ISFP and wats the difference between them o_o i dont understand much about it

MBTI
    STP

For me it seems like with ISTP things are judged internally more on a logical basis. I can convince myself that something is morally acceptable, usually this is to see others point of view.

For ISTP the issues arise when the situation comes up and Fi takes over and logic goes out the window. I have had a few occasions where I cant override Fi, no matter how much logic or want I have I physically cannot override Fi. This is where my morals/ethics show up and take hold and will not let go. This rarely ever happens and I crash when it does. Maybe an ISFP spends alot more time understanding this area or morals.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    For ISTP the issues arise when the situation comes up and Fi takes over and logic goes out the window. I have had a few occasions where I cant override Fi, no matter how much logic or want I have I physically cannot override Fi. This is where my morals/ethics show up and take hold and will not let go. This rarely ever happens and I crash when it does. Maybe an ISFP spends alot more time understanding this area or morals.
    do you mean ISFP there? I definitely agree in that Fi is one powerful motherfucker.

easiest way for me to tell if they're ISFP or ISTP is just by how they treat people. ISFPs, I've found, are usually more timid and gentle not saying ISTPs are bad or anything, I think they can just give and take criticism a lot easier than ISFPs can.
    Likes e.lee.sa liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by warm8 View Post
    do you mean ISFP there? I definitely agree in that Fi is one powerful motherfucker.

easiest way for me to tell if they're ISFP or ISTP is just by how they treat people. ISFPs, I've found, are usually more timid and gentle not saying ISTPs are bad or anything, I think they can just give and take criticism a lot easier than ISFPs can.
    I did mean ISTP, I just wanted to point out that an ISTP does have Fi somewhere in there. Its just we have a huge dominance for Ti that Fi rarely does show its head.

Shy is about the only portion of timid that I have.

A) Thinkers are more rare than feelers

B) Thinking or Feeling Preference

MBTI
    STP

I can tell you with men and with myself I am very T, but around women my F comes out. My wife will jump on me with how blunt I am around males. Its almost like I have very little sympathy for men, they should be able to take it, but with women I tend to be alot more gentle.

I was talking with my wife and was saying how I thought it was funny that men say women are emotional, yet men blow up with anger as easy or easier than women get hurt. To me thats just as emotional as women, just hidden with a manly emotion of "anger". My initial response to everything is to figure out what happened logically. If I can figure out logically everything is good. I rationalize alot when it comes to feelings so I can logically understand what is expected of me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by warm8 View Post
    Definitely one of external behavioral differences. ISFPs are quietly warm on the interpersonal level and will often go out of their way to do small things for the people they love; while ISTPs can still be friendly, they are more detached by nature and seem more autonomous in their presentation. Many ISFPs seem to putter around more (dabbling in things) to explore it, the ISTP seems more focused/directed on specific tasks (jumping in to full intensity) due to the less personal T style.

(Similarly, compare INTP to INFP.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

compare Wolverine (always pissed off and unfriendly) to Michael Jackson (awkward and gay), then you'll get the picture.

ps - Jennifer's post is more theoretical, mine is just better.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

I have a cousin/best friend that is an ISFP. She admits she takes everything personally when she doesn't want to. She strives to be more objective (Te as an aspirational role), while I strive to be more of a "people person" (Fe as an aspirational role). We both council each other on areas we're struggling with, and you can hear the difference between us just by our words. I'll say things like "You have to try and shrug that off..." or "Well, logically, this should happen..." or like recently, when I was giving her advice on how to approach a professor regarding a project she was worried she was going to fail. I said things like "have something to say before you go, and make sure you don't use any excuses...they hate that. And try to figure out which areas she's going to point out that are lacking, and show her that you know what you did wrong, and make a point on how you would improve it."

When she councils me, they're almost always within relationships I have with people. I'll tell her a story and she'll go: "Now, Steph, can't you why he/she would act that way When you did that? But I agree, I think you did the right thing here..." She points things out in a moral perspective, but is always encouraging and always "on my side." She always has really awesome "people insights."

Which is another point to make... ISFPs will almost always try to make their words to support you, whereas an ISTP will be more objective and maybe even play devil's advocate.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post
    whereas an ISTP will be more objective and maybe even play devil's advocate.
    ISTPs do it without knowing it and without hoping to.
    on the otherhand INTJs and ENTPs (especially) play the objective devil's advocate (INTJ) and playful (fe) devil's advocate (ENTP) purposely.

But ISTPs on the other hand has Fe as their inferior function and therefor plays (not exactly plays but implements) the devil's advocate without really knowing that they are doing it.